Ser Loras Tyrell to play Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix

CoryCory New Scotland
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/finn-jones-iron-fist

I don't really know anything about Iron Fist/Danny Rand.  Good choice?

I'm not sure what happens to Loras in the books (well I guess no one does), but he can conceivably do both, no?

Comments

• LOL, my first thought when I read the title of this thread was "Max Von Sydow is too old to play Iron Fist"!!?
  • I don't know anything about Iron Fist either, but will likely watch it because I liked the other Marvel series on Netflix. I don't know if he's a good choice, but since his sole purpose on GoT is to be the gay guy, I can only hope they will give him more to work with in Iron Fist.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    He is a good choice. I don't know as much about him as other characters. I do think one of the problems that is becoming more apparent for Marvel is the huge amount of white, male, main actors. In this situation it is a no-win. The character in the comics is white. You could go and cast an Asian guy, but then is the reason you are casting an Asian guy because the character is a martial artist? That just perpetuates that stereotype.

Off-topic, but I really think Marvel should have cast a non-white actor for Peter Parker. It just would have shown some attention to diversity. These teams that are being put together, it becomes glaringly obvious having a completely white group of men standing together. I'll get off of my soap box now.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut

He is a good choice. I don't know as much about him as other characters. I do think one of the problems that is becoming more apparent for Marvel is the huge amount of white, male, main actors. In this situation it is a no-win. The character in the comics is white. You could go and cast an Asian guy, but then is the reason you are casting an Asian guy because the character is a martial artist? That just perpetuates that stereotype.

Off-topic, but I really think Marvel should have cast a non-white actor for Peter Parker. It just would have shown some attention to diversity. These teams that are being put together, it becomes glaringly obvious having a completely white group of men standing together. I'll get off of my soap box now.

I'm all for diversity, but it should avoid too much stereotyping, and I think that some changes would be easier to make than others.

For example, that Moses movie that came out a year or two ago really shouldn't have had so many white actors in the main roles - those roles should've gone to actors of the right ethnicity, but Hollywood might never have greenlit the movie without really big names set to star in it.

At the same time, it's difficult to take an established character and flip their race or sex without losing or damaging a good chunk of the fanbase, or potentially changing a lot of what the character was in the first place. Some characters are relatively easy to do this with; James Bond, as far as I understand, isn't supposed to be literally the same person across all of the movies. It would be really easy to have the next Bond be of a different ethnicity, and I don't think it would really change anything about the character. Changing Peter Parker could work, but it is definitely going to have a bigger impact (one way or the other) than changing Bond.

I would argue that besides casting appropriate people of the appropriate ethnicity for a role, Hollywood and comic writers need to do a better job of CREATING characters or parts which are positive, interesting, and inspiring and who happen to be female or of non-white ethnicity.

I hope this isn't coming off as racist, I just think creating new will be easier than changing the old.
  • @Heff That would require Hollywood to not only create something new, but take what they would consider a risk on it and they don't seem interested in either of those things. I wouldn't expect the people who sign the checks to pay anything more than lip service to diversity until they think it's going to make them the most money with any given IP. If the board of white dude executives thinks putting a white dude in the starring role is a safer choice that will make them more money, that's probably how it's going to go.

Once there's a track record of successful, diverse movies it'll change but to get there I think it's going to require some big name auteur directors with the control to make those kinds of decisions to start making them.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited February 2016
    I'll say a couple of things here. @Heff I don't think you're coming off racist, and I agree that there should be more of an emphasis on creating new diverse characters rather than just putting a person of color into a previously white role. However, I have no problem with putting a person of color into a white role, or gender-swapping a character. The gender swap was done brilliantly in Battlestar Galactica and more recently with the lawyer in Jessica Jones. When you say that it causes problems among the fanbase, it makes me think of the people who boycotted The Force Awakens because there was a black stormtroooper. Seriously, and I hope this is not too controversial a statement, but fuck people like that. The world is changing, and we need to see more diversity onscreen. If that means that a stormtrooper or Perry White in Man of Steel is now black, all the better. 

Also, regarding Peter Parker in particular, there already is a black Spiderman; his name is Miles Morales and it would have been a Bald Move indeed for Marvel and Sony to cast PP aside in favor of Miles, but they were too afraid to do it. Casting a young black or latino actor as Peter Parker when they have a perfectly good black Spidey right there in the comics would have been a terrible idea. 
    @Frakkin T Miles Morales is who I was hoping they'd go with. But, on some level, I knew they'd wouldn't do that. As much as I like what Marvel/Disney has built, that seemed like a bridge too far. Its actually a great time to use Miles after the train wreck of Amazing Spider-Man 2 that Peter Parker was at the center of.
    Frakkin T
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    The guy that played the part of Loras reminds me of one of the bad guys friends in some bad eighties teen movie. Think of James Spaders friends in any movie where Spader played a creep villain.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Morales was black?  I never read the (Ultimate?) Spiderman series, but I always assumed he was Latino. 

I know Marvel got a bit of heat for the casting in this one, but a) I think Marvel has been doing a very good job at late in trying to diversify their roles, and b) they were in a real pickle with this property.  The best option would probably to cast a non-white, non-asian character for the role, but then they're just doing the same kind of gender/race-bending that is starting to feel trite and formulaic.  

I like this actor, and I'm curious about what kind of tone this show is going to take.  I'm kind of hoping it is a bit more lighthearted and campy to balance out what is becoming a rather grim part of the MCU.
    I think the actor is actually a really great fit for Parker. And like I said, I am not entirely surprised. And the more I think about it the more it seems to be a real fiasco to go changing that character. Marvel may have had to answer to Sony as well since they are still sharing custody of the Spider-Man property, as I understand it.

Miles Morales is half-black, half-Latino. I read maybe the first 12 issues of the series a number of years ago, Ultimate Spider-Man, it is worth a look I'd say. But typical superhero stuff. Nothing that will knock your socks off.