Firefly Podcast

HeffHeff Connecticut
Just wanted to stop in and say that as a big Firefly/Serenity fan, I really enjoyed the podcast. I would have loved to see more of this series, or another movie, but I'm happy that they treated the Serenity movie the way they did - I think it's possible (but not necessary) to write a continuation, and the character deaths were gut-punches, but honestly add to the narrative rather than taking away from it. Mal is definitely my favorite character, and I like the fact that he isn't afraid to just take someone out if he feels like they deserve it, and sticks to his (flexible) code of honor.

American Horror Story fans who watch Serenity might notice Sarah Paulson playing the doctor on the recording the group saw on the death planet. C'mon, ARon, you're slipping on cast studies!

Also need to call both guys out on calling Alan Tudyk's character "Walsh" for practically the whole cast - it's a great running gag that there's usually some very minor misstep like this! (Michelle/Michonne being a recent example)

Thanks to the guys for making the cast, and the community members for funding it.
Travis

Comments

• @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim Nice work guys! After hearing the podcast I agree we probably don't need a separate podcast for Serenity, especially when you take A Ron's conflicted feelings about it into account. I agreed with A Ron my first time through about Jane's character, but I loved him on this last rewatch. Maybe it was just leftover nostalgia from his character on Chuck, which is a fairly similar role. I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, so it was great hearing you guys give some general thoughts about him. Have either of you seen Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog? That could make for an interesting commission. It doesn't get much better than Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion fighting over Felicia Day in a musical super hero youtube series.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2016

@Jim You're not alone with your feelings about Whedon's talents being kind of wasted on the Avengers. Those movies are fun and all, and I'm super psyched for him getting those paychecks, but I can't help but feel that he could be doing more interesting stuff.

Anyhoo, I really enjoyed the Firefly cast. Great work guys! Can't wait for the Princess Bride!

DaveyMac
  • @Shum  I loved Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and just about everything else NPH does.  I didn't watch much of HIMYM but I thought he was great in it... and that cameo in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, c'mon!  He's had a solid career so far with a ton of time left ahead of him.

@Travis  Glad to hear it.  Sometimes I think I'm crazy for not caring much about the MCU when seemingly everyone else does.

Another Firefly cameo I don't think I mentioned is that Erica Tazel is the not-quite-doctor in the town that Simon gets taken to when he's kidnapped in the episode "Safe" (the one where they're transporting cows).  Bald Move fans might know her as Rachel Brooks from Justified!
    TravisunreadDaveyMac
  • Jim said:

@Shum  I loved Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and just about everything else NPH does.  I didn't watch much of HIMYM but I thought he was great in it... and that cameo in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, c'mon!  He's had a solid career so far with a ton of time left ahead of him.

@Travis  Glad to hear it.  Sometimes I think I'm crazy for not caring much about the MCU when seemingly everyone else does.

Another Firefly cameo I don't think I mentioned is that Erica Tazel is the not-quite-doctor in the town that Simon gets taken to when he's kidnapped in the episode "Safe" (the one where they're transporting cows).  Bald Move fans might know her as Rachel Brooks from Justified!

RE Erica Tazel, no shit?! I'm definitely going to have to keep my eye out for that during the re-watch. That's awesome!

No, the way you summed up the MCU pretty much echoes my feelings exactly. I always seem to have fun watching them, but it's just kind of become white noise. They just don't feel remotely special anymore. I kind of feel like they should pace themselves much, much better for any sort of impact but I suppose you can't argue with their staggering grosses. Strike while the iron's hot I guess. The one exception for me is the X-Men franchise. I still get pretty pumped up for those, but that's about it.

DaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited March 2016
    I'm with both @Travis and @Jim on the MCU. I'm to the point now where I just have no interest in anything Marvel, even if Joss Whedon is at the helm. I feel like it doesn't even really matter who directs these films at this point, they all feel so similar to me. 

Though I must admit, I am still on the X-Men train, as Travis already said. Though, I'm still in on that series because of Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and now Oscar Isacc. Three of my favorite actors in the same film trumps my disinterest in the MCU. Plus, I feel like X-Men still feels different from the rest of the MCU especially as Marvel hasn't owned the rights in the past. It looks to be changing though.

Travis
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I just want another space western.

I feel like that is pretty close to what the future of space travel civilization would be like before we get to Star Trek warp drive levels of tech.

The Expanse is close, but I feel like Mars would be closer to a San Francisco during the gold rush rather than a technological juggernaut.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited March 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Someone may have already written this in, but I just looked into the "The Shepherd's Tale" comic about Book and it was written by Joss and Zach Whedon, so it may be worth a read. I'm certainly curious and may pick up a copy.

EDIT: Upon further reading, it looks like it's based on Joss's outlines, but that Zach is the one who actually penned the comic.
    AntManBee
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Is Zach the dude who is his regular writing partner?
  • From what I can tell it looks like they've only worked together directly on "Dr. Horrible's Singalong". It doesn't look like he wrote on anything that Whedon has done for tv, though. The only tv writing credits he has are a couple of David Milch episodes ("Deadwood" and "John From Cincinnati"), "Fringe", "Southland", "Halt and Catch Fire". 

Still he is Joss's brother, so I imagine they were in communication on the comic. Still maybe not as good as if it had actually been done by Joss.