Oscars talk

WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
Glad to see Mad Max getting a ton of love. Lots of snubs this year but I'm happy to see one of my favorite movies getting some recognition.  
FlashGordon

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited February 2016
    when I first watched the Road Warrior around the time it came out and if someone would have suggested it was a movie that could win a Oscar. I would have just blowin that off as stupid. Things really change I think that not long ago a movie like Mad Max was unthinkable. Also who would have thought a Rocky spinoff would get a nomination. Didn't see the Rocky flick but it would be nice Stallione to get another Oscar for the series he created.
  • I loved both supporting performances that won (Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina and Mark Rylance for Bridge of Spies). Still, a little bummed that Jennifer Jason Leigh didn't win for Hateful 8 and Sylvester Stallone didn't win for Creed. It's hard to call that an upset, though, as the winners were so good. 

FlashGordonDummy
  • I was shocked to see the scummy reporter from Season 5 of The Wire win an Oscar for writing Spotlight.
    James
  • I loved Gaga's performance, and was sad she does get the Oscar for that song.
    I was kind of rooting for Brian Cranston to win Best Actor, but was glad that Leo finally got his Oscar - I haven't seen the Revinant, but I heard be was amazing in it. Yay Leo! :)
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited February 2016
    I'm generally a fan of that "scummy reporter's"(Tom McCarthy) movies, especially "Win Win", so I was glad to see him win for Spotlight. Though I haven't had a chance to see it yet. 

Funnily enough, he is responsible for one of the best-reviewed films of the year, and now Oscar winner (Spotlight) and one of the worst-reviewed films of the year (The Cobbler). 
  • I'm a big fan of "The Big short" watched it like 3 times. But there's no reason Adam McKay should have been nominated. There's some horrible camera work and weird cuts.
  • Didn't watch the oscars but I did read the transcript from Chris Rock's monologue, holy crap, fucking hysterical!!!!!!!!!!! Check it out.
  • I was glad to see Brie Larson get Best Actress for Room. I thought her performance was amazing.
  • DaveyMac said:

I'm generally a fan of that "scummy reporter's"(Tom McCarthy) movies, especially "Win Win", 

To be clear, I was referring to the character he played in The Wire, I have no gauge on his degree of scumminess in real life.

I was just surprised to even know he was a writer.  I never knew the guy's real name.
  • @DrKen Oh yeah, I figured you were just referring to his character and not him personally. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Funny thing for me is that I'd been a fan of his work for a while without ever knowing who he was on The Wire, despite that being my favorite show. It wasn't until I heard an interview with him about Spotlight last year when the interviewer referred to him as being one of the most reviled characters on The Wire that I actually made the connection.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    My favorites from last year were recognized. Ex Machina, Hateful Eight, Mad Max, Spotlight, and The Revenant. 
    DaveyMac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Am I the only one wishing they would stop this trend of having comedians host the awards shows? I'm a big fan of old Hollywood, when events like this were full of class and lavishness and dignity. Now we've got comedians making lame jokes and dropping F bombs for no reason. That said, I do like Chris Rock and think he did a good job *but* next year I would love to see the various awards shows hosted by more mature actors and actresses.

And before anyone thinks this has anything to do with the diversity issue, I do agree that *all* races need equal representation and recognition.
    Elisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @Michelle I like that a comedian hosts the show; otherwise it's just a bunch of rich pretty people giving each other gold statues. I mean, it's still that anyway but having a comedian there to knock everyone down a peg or two makes it much more bearable.
    Frakkin T said:

@Michelle I like that a comedian hosts the show; otherwise it's just a bunch of rich pretty people giving each other gold statues. I mean, it's still that anyway but having a comedian there to knock everyone down a peg or two makes it much more bearable.

agree @Frakkin T , would much rather have a comedian attempt to make this insanely long show somewhat funny. If just one of the jokes land, then that makes the show just a bit more bearable. I'd rather they cut the performances and have some more montages. But that's just me. 
  • I thought last night was the best ceremony they've had in a while; it was easily the funniest I have seen due to Chris Rock, Louis CK, and Ali G. I was so happy for Leo and thought he gave a fantastic speech. Chivo is a god. The Revenant was the most beautiful movie I've ever seen, but I would have been OK with any of the nominees winning best picture aside from Bridge of Spies. 
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited February 2016
    Glad Leo used his speech to highlight a just cause, he's long been an advocate of.

i'm going to be a bit of a hater here so apologies in advance, I hate the oscars , the influence they have on film type and release dates is annoying at the least,  the vapid who where, and what party, people wore, did and attended, is the worst,  but i'm a movie buff so I can't help engage with it.

I hate how the Oscars get hijacked by some political bull shit
    As Chris Rock said people didn't protest the oscars on race in the past, they had real stuff to protest and its already ridiculous to have a best actress/actor category anyway, in my opinion the best actor of the year Charlize Theron in Mad Max so where this threads starts glad to see that movie get love, but it was all side handed Sound, Sound Mixing, Hair and Makeup??So what the academy loved this movie but it wasnt serious enough to give any 'top' award to psshh.

It genuinely sucks that Black actors are underrepresented, but it also sucks that Asians and Hispanics are too, white privilege stinks but it's dominance of the oscars is not really the problem, maybe white male dominance in boardrooms is more of a problem, maybe the situation in Syria, or as Leo says maybe it's Global warming, I hate  that's where the focus is instead.

I just want to watch Good movies when they come out and not have the industry so reverential to this joke of an institution, they can have their award ceremony to say "well done your art is the best art this year' but i'm glad it's over, apart from i'm not becasuse no good movies are due to come out for months now, because of the god dam oscars!
    pavlovsbellAntManBeeElisaBourbonQueen
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This is the first year in a long time that I wasn't carrying an Oscar torch for anyone and anything.  I felt this is the weakest year for movies in a while.  Not bad, but a lot of the movies I was really hoping to like just didn't deliver for me, like the Hateful Eight , Joy, and Revenant.  I guess I'm glad for Leo, but nothing was anywhere near as good as recent standouts like Birdman, 12 Years a Slave, Boyhood, Gravity, etc.  Even the 2nd tier films like Dallas Buyers Club, Her and Wolf of Wall Street felt better than similar competition this year.  Mad Max might have well been my favorite of the year.
    Michelle

Frakkin T said:

agree @Frakkin T , would much rather have a comedian attempt to make this insanely long show somewhat funny. If just one of the jokes land, then that makes the show just a bit more bearable. I'd rather they cut the performances and have some more montages. But that's just me. 
    Like I said, Chris Rock did do a good job.   In fact, he's probably done the best job of other comedians who have hosted, with the exception of Ellen DeGeneres.  I'm just over the trend of having comedians host the show. 

This is the first year in a long time that I wasn't carrying an Oscar torch for anyone and anything.  I felt this is the weakest year for movies in a while.  Not bad, but a lot of the movies I was really hoping to like just didn't deliver for me, like the Hateful Eight , Joy, and Revenant.  I guess I'm glad for Leo, but nothing was anywhere near as good as recent standouts like Birdman, 12 Years a Slave, Boyhood, Gravity, etc.  Even the 2nd tier films like Dallas Buyers Club, Her and Wolf of Wall Street felt better than similar competition this year.  Mad Max might have well been my favorite of the year.

I didn't hold any torches for lead actor/actress or best film this year, either, because I hadn't seen any of them.  However, I do wish I had seen a few of them while they were in theaters, because the more clips I see of them, the better they seem to have been:  The Revenant, The Danish Girl, Brooklyn, Spotlight.   I'll definitely be catching them Amazon when they're available, though. 
    @Michelle who would you choose to host? If you had a choice. All my picks would be considered comedians haha.

@A_Ron_Hubbard Did you get a chance to see Ex Machina, Spotlight, or Steve Jobs? Those three off the top of my head are some that exceeded my expectation. 

@FlashGordon I would have to respectfully disagree about Hispanics getting snubbed. They seemed to have gotten a good amount of recognition, just not in the actors category. I do agree about how these months are usually pretty dead. Except for this year. Deadpool was great as was The Witch. Plus 10 Cloverfield Lane looks good, but I may be slightly biased. 
    FlashGordon

@Michelle who would you choose to host? If you had a choice. All my picks would be considered comedians haha.

The list is wide open.  I didn't have anyone specific in mind, just no more comedians for a while.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Happy for Leo to finally get his Academy Award, though it still doesn't make up for the injustice of him not winning Best Supporting Actor for Django Unchained a few years back.

I thought all of Chris Rock's pre-recorded bits were really funny and effective, but a lot of the live stuff fell a little flat.

With all of the #OscarsSoWhite controversy that has, quite rightfully, been overshadowing this awards season, it kind of feels like we are entering in to a sort of 'post-Oscars' age where none of it is going to really matter anymore. In some ways it makes me sad because I grew up loving the ceremony, and for a film fan in the UK it's always an event to stay up until 5am with friends watching it all unfold. But in other ways, I feel after 88 years it feels like the traditional way of film appreciation and prize giving is becoming increasingly outdated.
  • Not that anyone cares, but I just realized Alicia Vikander won for "The Danish Girl" and not "Ex Machina" as I said in my earlier post. Oops. I wasn't watching live and just saw her name pop up on feed and assumed it was for Ex Machina. That's a bummer. I thought she was great in that film. And I just want Ex Machina to get more love. I haven't actually seen The Danish Girl. 
  • This is the first year in a long time that I wasn't carrying an Oscar torch for anyone and anything.  I felt this is the weakest year for movies in a while.  Not bad, but a lot of the movies I was really hoping to like just didn't deliver for me, like the Hateful Eight , Joy, and Revenant.  I guess I'm glad for Leo, but nothing was anywhere near as good as recent standouts like Birdman, 12 Years a Slave, Boyhood, Gravity, etc.  Even the 2nd tier films like Dallas Buyers Club, Her and Wolf of Wall Street felt better than similar competition this year.  Mad Max might have well been my favorite of the year.

Dang A Ron! Sorry to hear that man. I highly recommend Room, Brooklyn, Spotlight, Ex Machina, and The Big Short if you didn't catch them. I think the Big Short was the best movie for me, but Room tore my heart out. Last year had a better top tier but Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, American Sniper, and Selma were all worse than anything nominated this year IMO.
    ryanfoster
  • I really liked Spotlight. Very well put together. Was happy it won over the Revenant for Best Picture, but I would have been fine with the Big Short as well.
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited March 2016
    @WonderedObject That's fair, I guess the point I was grasping at is just that a predominantly white Oscars is nothing new and not really the problem, it's the industry in general not taking enough chances, not about who the clique of the academy want to nominate. 

The article below I think covers the topic best , there's a point in there about  how Hispanic Americans buy 25% of the nation’s cinema tickets, why not push them for more leading roles, that said it's great to see Alejandro González Iñárritu just owning the best director cateogry for that last two years.

Insightful article on Film & Race if anyones interested http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race

I agree though, deadpool was fun, also looking forward the new cloverfield too , I'll check out the witch, it'd just be good for director/studios to have the freedom to release adult drama outside of December/January window
    WonderedObjectElisa
  • " Alejandro González Iñárritu just owning the best director cateogry for that last two years."

And Cuaron won the year before that. 
    Elisa
  • @DaveyMac ;Couldnt agree more Ex Machina was by far one of the most interesting and impressive films of the year, it got the Oscar for visual effects I think , which is another case I think of the acadamy probably really liking this but it being a bit too Sci-Fi in tone means no serious category nominations.

@Doctor_Nick Absolutely and well deserved too in a tough category that year
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • I was really pulling for either Spotlight or The Big Short.  I've seen both twice, and they hold to multiple viewings.  Ex Machina was very good (and twisted), and it definitely was impressive and interesting. However, Mad Max was just insane and was a lot to handle visually the first time, but on the second viewing, I really appreciated everything it had to offer.  

As far as the Oscars being white, the president of the Academy (an African American woman) says they are continuing to work on change.  As the 3rd woman and 1st African American to hold this position, I believe she will do what she can to make it more diverse.  

Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    EMAW42 said:

Dang A Ron! Sorry to hear that man. I highly recommend Room, Brooklyn, Spotlight, Ex Machina, and The Big Short if you didn't catch them. I think the Big Short was the best movie for me, but Room tore my heart out. Last year had a better top tier but Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, American Sniper, and Selma were all worse than anything nominated this year IMO.

The hilarious thing is the "must see" Oscar movies I picked out is like the total opposite of this list.  I feel like I missed all of the gems.  I guess I just picked my spots wrong this year.