Episode 404 - Chapter 43

Open thread for discussion.

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Boston MA
    edited March 2016
    Meacham :(

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• Meachy :(
  • Oh noooooo not Meechum :(
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Shots Fired!! Didn't see that coming. Hope they don't pull a Sopranos season 6.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2016
    I was considering tapping out, but flipping the table over has renewed my interest for the time being.  It opens up the possibility for interesting avenues but I do wish the show had some of the wicked dark comedy or pathos of the first season to balance the grim and sordid machinations that otherwise feel hollow.  I have to alternate viewings of this with Mozart in the Jungle to remind myself that there are fictional characters who are full of life, joy, and passion and who pursue dreams that consist of more than greed and blind lust for power.  

I presume Jackie and Remy are the heart of the show now.  I hope they don't end up getting squashed like bugs, too.  And I have a bad feeling about Doug.  He gets creepier and more darker every season.  I still like Claire, but her opaqueness is wearing thin on me.  Bringing her front and center was a good idea, but the show needs to ease up on the enigma because I do not identify with Frank as a POV character, and right now I feel alienated from a perspective that I can latch onto.  I'd like to know what her actual goals are, and keeping me in the dark is narrative trickery that I do not find interesting.
    ksa1001hypergenesbMike Snow
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • Did not seeing that coming at all!  I wasn't disappointed by the return of Lucas thinking that he had all that time in prison to get his plan to finally prove what Frank had done to Zoe and destroy him, but I didn't think he would impact him in that way.

I was kind of bothered because I found it unrealistic that the president took the time to address the protesters and not a single one of those college kids had a point to bring up with him and instead of just cussed him out.  I guess gas at $6 a gallon could do that, but still- and then bam shots fired.  Lucas found a way to impact him.

About Doug I kind of wish we could see more of them, but I bet more will come up further in the season.  He killed a woman that he was obsessed about and other than his increased creepiness we haven't seen much on how it's impacted him. 
  • Would the secret service allow the president to get that close to a hostile crowd?
    Hey WIT Sec what the fuck, aren't you supposed to be keeping tabs on this guy?
    Dummy
  • adobo1148 said:

Would the secret service allow the president to get that close to a hostile crowd?
    Hey WIT Sec what the fuck, aren't you supposed to be keeping tabs on this guy?

That really is a colossal size fuck up. Not only did they have the president within 50 ft of a recent ex-felon, but one with a gun. One that the has made threats against the president before. I could see him being next to a hostile crowd, especially one that he wants to talk to and try and convince, but how they hell did Lucas get anywhere close? Where is WIT Sec in all of this? I don't even want to imagine what Lucas had to do to get that gun. 
  • I was considering tapping out, but flipping the table over has renewed my interest for the time being.  It opens up the possibility for interesting avenues but I do wish the show had some of the wicked dark comedy or pathos of the first season to balance the grim and sordid machinations that otherwise feel hollow.  I have to alternate viewings of this with Mozart in the Jungle to remind myself that there are fictional characters who are full of life, joy, and passion and who pursue dreams that consist of more than greed and blind lust for power.  

I presume Jackie and Remy are the heart of the show now.  I hope they don't end up getting squashed like bugs, too.  And I have a bad feeling about Doug.  He gets creepier and more darker every season.  I still like Claire, but her opaqueness is wearing thin on me.  Bringing her front and center was a good idea, but the show needs to ease up on the enigma because I do not identify with Frank as a POV character, and right now I feel alienated from a perspective that I can latch onto.  I'd like to know what her actual goals are, and keeping me in the dark is narrative trickery that I do not find interesting.
    It's really creepy @pavlovsbell. Sometimes it's like you're in my brain. Are you a zombie virus?
    pavlovsbell
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • Lucas was thinking goddamitt, might as well try to assassinate the guy, I swear if I have to give another hand job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @hypergenesb  Hahaha, if I were a zombie virus, I hope it's the iZombie version and not TWD version, but really I'd rather have something less invasive like Jean Grey's powers.  Provided that it doesn't result in a need to consume entire worlds, of course.
    hypergenesb
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az
    Can I just say R.I.PEachummmmmmmmmm?
  • edited March 2016

• Mike SnowMike Snow Portland, ME
    Bufufyne said:

Did not seeing that coming at all!  I wasn't disappointed by the return of Lucas thinking that he had all that time in prison to get his plan to finally prove what Frank had done to Zoe and destroy him, but I didn't think he would impact him in that way.

I was kind of bothered because I found it unrealistic that the president took the time to address the protesters and not a single one of those college kids had a point to bring up with him and instead of just cussed him out.  I guess gas at $6 a gallon could do that, but still- and then bam shots fired.  Lucas found a way to impact him.
    I actually found the responses from the protesters to be pretty realistic -- lots of yelling with no real substance. Reminded me of people's comments on any political post on social media.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    The Fonz has cleared the shark cage. Oh no! He ate it on the landing ramp. On West wing didnt they shoot the Prez in like season 2 at least they waited for season 4 till they rolled this shit out.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I have only seen the first 8 episodes of this season, and very much enjoying it so far. One question I did have, is why the writers choose to make high gas prices a topic, when we're experiencing the opposite right now.
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    For the high gas prices, that's a pretty recent phenomenon, and in the HoC universe the high gas prices is a result of a Russian tightening of supply and causing tension in the middle east, whereas in our real universe the Sauds are flooding the market to cripple North and South American production, and probably to fuck with Russia, too.  In otherwords, while it's not happening to us, I find the scenario plausible. 

As for Remy and Jackie, I think at least Jackie is doomed.  She's turning into a darker, more cynical, less honest, version of herself, which usually bodes poorly for characters on this show.  Of course, being completely honest and honorable also doesn't work out well for anybody either.  See; Dunbar. 
    Underwood
  • I figured he was going to get shot a few minutes before it happened.Just a gut feeling. Didn't expect it to be Goodwin who did it though.I was also about to tap right out of season four but this sucked me back in big time. Sad about Meechy though. 
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited March 2016
    I find the high gas prices completely plausible in HoC universe especially say if Frank's liberal administration banned fracking and with all the Mideast tensions. My problem is that with $150/barrel oil Russia would be making so much money even while restricting output they don't need a bailout. Especially juxtaposed with today's Russia with Putin (with Petrov as his stand in) that even at $30 a barrel is extremely aggressive overseas in Ukraine and Syria regardless of western sanctions and political oppression at home dragging down the economy. It just doesn't make logical sense to me Russia needing a bailout with oil revenues so high. It's a real bizarre plot device to have Claire get one over Petrov and bolster her standing.