Episode 411 - Chapter 50

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited March 2016 in House of Cards
Open thread for discussion.

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited March 2016
    What the hell, Freddie?! I didn't see that coming at all, I agree with Frank he blew it out of proportion. Not a fan Tom and Claire.
  • The Tom/Claire stuff truly bugs me. I just think it's a tired angle that the show has done (Adam 2.0). 

Can we talk about the ultra creepiness that is Doug though? The voicemail, the coffee date, Doug..you got issues man
    Drew
  • Continuing on the ultra creepiness that is Doug, I feel like everyone skipped over the 5 seconds of his reflection replacing the face of the dead liver man with his wife.

TheEconomist
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Doug is such a creepy lizard person but part of me wants his cursed soul to have some peace and rest so he can stop haunting the White House. I feel like the general evil and skullduggery Frank has him doing is the only thing keeping his damned self alive. Like the Nazgul of LotR Doug is forced to serve his master for enternity and it's why he looks and acts totally drained of life.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Cyth said:

Continuing on the ultra creepiness that is Doug, I feel like everyone skipped over the 5 seconds of his reflection replacing the face of the dead liver man with his wife.

Gah, that's one of the problems of the 3 at a time format.  I had that in my notes to point out as a great storytelling device, but it got lost in the shuffle.  Nice catch.
    TheEconomist
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I just finished bingeing this series last night, all 4 seasons finally done.   I am way into this show.  The acting, the costuming (love Robin Wright's very classic Jackie-Kennedy-esque simple clean line dresses), the set design, the directing, all of it. 

Even though I could go on about Kevin Spacey's performances, my eye is on Michael Kelly as Doug. He is *so* good, especially when Doug's at his lowest.  I really thought he'd be obsessing over the widow the way he did with Rachel, but so far it seems to be a legit attraction on both sides.  He's told her about his alcoholism (he tells her in one scene when she comes over when he can't sleep "Normally I'd just go to a meeting, but..."), so he is being honest with her.  Could Doug have a crisis of conscience and possibly start to come to terms and come clean with all of the shit he's done and try to make amends?  He'd be implicating himself as well if he did, but.......

Another big story, maybe the biggest:  will The Hammer succeed in finally bringing down the Underwoods and having them answer to their crimes?  

I wonder what season 5 will hold for us.   Gah, why does it have to be a year away?????
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Drew said:

What the hell, Freddie?! I didn't see that coming at all, I agree with Frank he blew it out of proportion. Not a fan Tom and Claire.

Really???  Freddie tells Frank he's quitting, and instead of Frank doing something to honor his friend of how ever many years, he asked him to cook for him one last time.   He could have treated Freddie and his grandson to an incredible White House dinner, and instead he essentially asked him to be 'the help'.   I would have been offended too.

But - when Freddie went off on Frank - my god, I jumped up in my chair and gasped!   Damn Freddie, that took guts!   Nicely done.
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • When I listened to the podcast of this, and A.Ron did his Freddy impression, I was out in public. It was so funny, I doubled over from laughing. Then hit rewind and listened to it again and doubled over again. Yeah, nobody thought I was a weirdo or gave me strange looks or anything... no regrets though.