The Americans

I am SO excited for Jim and A.Ron to cover The Americans. I can't wait for it to come back January 28. Question for Jim and A.Ron: have you guys finished watching the first two seasons and what did you think? Would you consider cover the first two seasons during this break from Walking Dead until January when many of the shows you cover will be starting up again? I feel like I'll be going through withdrawal now that The Watching Dead is wrapped up.

For everyone else, who else is excited to see Phillip and Elizabeth again? :smiley:

Comments

• @beanOD‌ Very much looking forward to this show's return.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I am very excited. I thought I found a podcast to supplement my rewatch, but they did not begin proper coverage until the second season. I'm looking forward to discussing season 3 here.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Probably won't have time to do a proper catch up, though I imagine we'll be doing something for the season preview coming out a week or so before the premiere.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I love this show so much. I am (barely) old enough to remember the friction between the US and Russia in the early 80s and I love seeing this side of it where the Russians are not just "the bad guys". The two leads are so good and annoyingly under-rated at awards time. Matthew Rhys especially had some hidden depths I wasn't aware of. I've always kind of liked him but I'd only seen him in comedic or campy roles and I never considered him having much range.

I really like how they don't dumb anything down - you have to pay attention and there's a lot of assumption that everyone just knows what the political atmosphere was like in the 80s.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Okay guys I watched the first season a couple of episodes and was non plussed. It seems like I should give it a try again. Should I start from S1 E1 or maybe start at S2?
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited December 2014
    Elisa said:

Okay guys I watched the first season a couple of episodes and was non plussed. It seems like I should give it a try again. Should I start from S1 E1 or maybe start at S2?

I always recommend starting from the beginning for serialized shows, but especially this one. It's a subtle show, but it builds on itself. If you skip S1, you might be lost in S2. I think the consensus is that S2 is stronger, but I don't recall if I felt that way.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Oh man you guys are for sure doing a podcast for The Americans? Personally I think it's the most underrated show on television, it's so good.
  • colleencolleen wisconsin
    Dee said:

I love this show so much. I am (barely) old enough to remember the friction between the US and Russia in the early 80s and I love seeing this side of it where the Russians are not just "the bad guys". The two leads are so good and annoyingly under-rated at awards time. Matthew Rhys especially had some hidden depths I wasn't aware of. I've always kind of liked him but I'd only seen him in comedic or campy roles and I never considered him having much range.

I really like how they don't dumb anything down - you have to pay attention and there's a lot of assumption that everyone just knows what the political atmosphere was like in the 80s.

The fact that Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell don't have an armload of Emmies, not to mention at the very least some nominations, is downright criminal. Here's hoping that trend reverses itself this year and they finally get some recognition.

I also love the political intrigue and the way the show is so true to history. They go to great pains to make the show as realistic as they can and I really appreciate that.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I discovered this show last year and devoured the first 2 seasons. So under-rated. The wife is watching now via Amazon Prime and is hooked too. We'll both be watching for season 3, can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.