Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

•  Batman Begins was good as well. I thought the Scarecrow was kind of underutilized though it made sense considering who the main baddie was. The quick cuts (& shaky cam) during the fighting scenes really sucks ten years later (I wonder if it was a big issue when 1st released). I also got a kick from seeing Joffrey Baratheon on scene.

Shutter Island I enjoyed a lot. Rewatching it, it was more straight forward than I previously thought. I may have enjoyed it more if it were more ambiguous The acting was great. The fact that everyone played along with the ruse is quite interesting.

Re: Batman Begins...I saw it on opening night, and the shaky-cam was definitely an issue even back then. Most everyone realized that Nolan had concocted a near-perfect superhero movie (at the time), but almost everyone also agreed that his fighting scenes were beyond confusing to watch. The shakiness was awful and you easily lost track of everything that was going on.

Re: Shutter Island (SPOILERS): Yeah, I always thought it was funny they let him run around the island doing this investigation and such. Like parents watching a kid at play. And even going so far as to let him have a fake weapon (if memory serves). I find that endlessly funny for some reason.

Shakycam was so popular in the 2000s. To my mind The Shield created it in 2001, but it fit right in for a chaotic show like that. Then it was in 24 and movies like The Born Identity, etc. with mixed effectiveness. 

The worst example I can think of, where it was totally just out of place and being used inappropriately, was some late season episode(s?) of The West Wing. Hell for all I remember it was just one episode but having a quick-cutting shaky in a show that is 95% in an office building was just maddening.
  • My wife and I watched the Hateful 8 and I really enjoyed it. Was it Tarrantino's best? No, but I had a lot of fun with it and I love seeing Walton Goggins front and center in a flick. Not much to report on the matter, but I thought it was a very entertaining way to spend three hours.

10 Cloverfield Lane was kind of a let down, though I'm not really sure what I was expecting. It wasn't bad or anything, but I feel like it could have been so much better. It had a lot of good pieces, but at the end of the day I was left thinking "I don't give a fuck about any of these people." In theory, I like the idea of just dropping you into this messed up situation without background and how jarring it is, but ultimately I think it came at the sacrifice of giving me something to root for in Winstead's character. I feel like 5 minutes tacked onto the beginning to give some more substance could have made the movie miles better. It was an interesting ride and I'm not bummed to have spent the time watching it, but I wish it had been better.

• LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Going to see Star Trek Beyond tonight I'm pretty hyped. @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim are you guys doing a first run bald movies cast for Star Trek?
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited July 2016
    So update on Star Trek.

It is the worst Star Trek film by far. Ever.

I hated this movie.

It was a jumbled hodgepodge of shameless ripoffs of other Sci Fi movies, often lifting things shot for shot. Even the previous JJ films.

Saying the plot was incoherent is an understatement. The motivation of the big bad wasn't revealed until the last 15 min of the film. See spoilers below.

The effects are top notch and it had a few good set pieces but othet than that it was a trainwreck.

It basically felt like a movie where they fired the director and writer mid production, which is what they did.

Spoilers:

The movie hinged on two mind bogglingly stupid points. The bad guy army was defeated by Kirk playing Sabatoge by the Beastie Boys over the radio. I shit you not. My head was literally in my hands.

Then, in the penultimate scene where we find out Idris Elba's character's motivation (after his plan was 99% foiled mind you) it was he was an ex mako from the Xindi wars. Yep they had his plot hinge on literally the worst season of the least watched Trek show ever (Star Trek Enterprise Season 3 for the uninitiated).

End spoilers.

• DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited September 2016
    I just caught an indie film on Netflix called "The Invitation". I will say no more as the less you know going in the better. I knew nothing and I'm glad I went in blind. Don't watch a trailer. Don't read a synopsis. Just watch it. It's only 1hr40min.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    DaveyMac said:

I just caught an indie film on Netflix called "The Invitation". I will say no more as the less you know going in the better. I knew nothing and I'm glad I went in blind. Don't watch a trailer. Don't read a synopsis. Just watch it. It's only 1hr40min.

I saw this a few weeks back. And agree on all fronts. I will just say it is one of those movies that is a pretty slow burn. And that could irritate some. I personally love the tension that that creates in a film. Its expertly crafted, in my opinion. And that is all I will say on the matter. (unless people want do some spoilering in another thread or something)
    DaveyMac
  • "Holy Hell" on Netflix. Documentary on a cult out West Hollywood called the "Buddhafeild', lead by leader, Michel. The rise, corruption and fall of a cult is almost always the same story, but they are still endlessly fascinating. Even though I am a Californian, I had never heard of this cult probably because it was relatively small and didn't end in a Waco type disaster. But the utter megalo maniacal egotism is still on display, it's just over a much smaller group and unlike other cults that try to expand this one seemed to go more inward. Really fascinating watch. 

There is some absolutely unintentionally (at least at the time it was made) hilarious moments that right out of a Tim and Eric Awesome Show. The documentarian was the cult's official videographer and the group made many commercials and short films that are just....*slow clap*. 
    The cult leader was, as a ex-member puts it, "An out of work actor that got the role of a lifetime."

If you grew up in a church, even a non-culty, relatively healthy one like me you always see things that remind of of that time in ways that are both humerous and frightening and a little sad. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Last theater movie was a revival of "The Sacrament" (2013, saw it last week.)  If you like Jonestown and The Blair Witch Project...and who doesn't?...this is the movie for you :)
  • @Garthgou81 Yeah I get how some could be frustrated, but I like a good slow burn with a payoff. And this film toyed with my expectations so much, in a good way. I'd be down for getting into spoiler territory in a separate thread.
  • My wife and I watched Young Guns over the weekend (inspired by the "Regulators, Let's Dance"  poster that keeps popping up in Mr. Robot (Christian Slater was actually in the sequel which I think is a fun little meta detail)) and man, it does not hold up well. Through the eyes of my 10 or so year old self that movie was the AWESOMEST! As of now, it's still entertaining but in more of a "marijuana ironic" kind of way. Ultimately though, it is a ridiculous movie. Fun, but completely ridiculous. The climax is one of the most (or even perhaps thee most) poorly thought out impossible scenes that I think I've ever seen.

Still, if I ever meet Dermot Mulroney I will approach him, shake his hand, and ask him "did you see the size of that chicken?"

• Yeah, I bet it would have been much more fun that way. You live, you learn. Ha!
  • DaveyMac said:

I saw this a few weeks back. And agree on all fronts. I will just say it is one of those movies that is a pretty slow burn. And that could irritate some. I personally love the tension that that creates in a film. Its expertly crafted, in my opinion. And that is all I will say on the matter. (unless people want do some spoilering in another thread or something)
    Thanks for the recommendation. Pretty good flick. Plus, the added bonus of John Carroll Lynch was cool. Not gonna spoil any either but wanted to second(third?) the recommendation.
    DaveyMac
  • Inside Llewyn Davis: Subtle, haunting, visceral. The melodic swaying of the path the titular character is on leads in a full circle but whilst returning we find some things have evolved. The core tragedies of the 60's folk music lifestyle are still there with reoccurring guest stars but the experience is even more palpable on the second revolution. The coen bros have made a niche in making seemingly simple genre films that pack way more punch than the viewer anticipates, continuing a long line of future classics such as No Country for Old Men and A Serious Man. I recommend this film for any fans of 60's folk with a seasoned sense of humor and an open mind.
    DaveyMacJujee
  • I love "Inside Llewyn Davis". It's gets better every time I see it.
    Jujee
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Blair Witch Project 2
    I tweeted this for the lunch today but haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure  if you guys answered the tweet I sent out. Anyways I just watched it and uh...... yeah don't bother. By far the WORST movie I've seen in a long time, at least this year without a doubt. It's terrible but better than the first. Which isn't saying much since I thought the first was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 
    Again.... DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE unless you just love horror movies. In that case, redbox it. 
    Yeah, Blair Witch is one of those love it/hate it movies. It is ABSOLUTELY in my wheelhouse. I adored the first one. Just a great, pot-boiler movie. But I totally get why people would dislike it. But seeing that @WonderedObject hated the sequel, but liked it better than the first one...that makes me think I really need to give this thing a look.

On a side note (and not picking on you at all @WonderedObject ) it does sort of amaze me that you shelled out money for the sequel to a movie that you so actively hate. Thats strange to me. Like I have directors who I really, really dislike. I avoid their movies, because I assume it will be more of the same unless I hear differently.

Yeah, Blair Witch is one of those love it/hate it movies. It is ABSOLUTELY in my wheelhouse. I adored the first one. Just a great, pot-boiler movie. But I totally get why people would dislike it. But seeing that @WonderedObject hated the sequel, but liked it better than the first one...that makes me think I really need to give this thing a look.

On a side note (and not picking on you at all @WonderedObject ) it does sort of amaze me that you shelled out money for the sequel to a movie that you so actively hate. Thats strange to me. Like I have directors who I really, really dislike. I avoid their movies, because I assume it will be more of the same unless I hear differently.

No offense or anything taken, I just love all things horror. So I have no problem dropping five bucks for the matinee. If anything, I go for the lore. If its horror/scary then I'm all in with at least giving it a shot. Annabelle, Ouija, and Sinister (the second one) are all example of movies I thought were just bad but I'd happily go watch the next installment. I just love the potential of being scared and you just never know. 
    Thats a really great perspective. I am a horror junky as well, but for some reason I prefer to stick to ones that I love and rewatch something before trying one which I am not sure I will like. I will venture out if I hear it is good. Horror is suck a finicky genre. Especially because everyone has particular things that they find scary. I saw It Follows and thought it was fantastic and chilling. I showed it to a friend who similar taste in horror and she thought it was nothing special.
    @Garthgou81 I hear you. I love to rewatch all the good ones come October but more than willing to try something new. Horror and comedy, man those two are tough to promote. It follows is a great example. I personally thought it was ok but it might've been overhyped for me. Then again I haven't been that scared from a movie in quite some time, the first Conjuring is the first thing that comes to mind.
    But if a horror movie is coming to my theater then I'm doing everything in my power to watch it.
  • edited September 2016
    While the actual movie was not good, I loved everything else about the Blair Witch. For the time, and with literally no budget, it was a very smart way of scaring people who didn't know the real story, or who just wanted to pretend the idea was real.

Inside Llewyn Davis is fantastic.

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    Off to see Blair Witch tonight, been a long time since I saw the original and I'm pretty bummed I wasn't able to rewatch before tonight. This will be the first movie I've seen inside a theater since the brilliant 10 Cloverfield Lane.
    Just finished watching Krampus and I loved it. Highly recommend it. Not over the top scary but it's a FUN type of horror. If that makes sense.
  • My wife and I did the Magnificent Seven over the weekend. It was really fun. Not much substance to it, but it was just a bad asses shootin it up good time. I'd recommend it if your expectations aren't too high and you take it for what it is.