Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've heard over and over again how good Airplane is so I finally got around to it. It was pretty much exactly what I feared, I could only get through 20 some minutes. I guess I could see it being good when it came out but holy shit is it dated.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Recently watched Free State Of Jones. Had no previous knowledge of the plot so was an interesting if not overlong and slightly bogged down watch. Matthew McConaughey was great even though the movie felt like less than the sum of its parts.
  • I watched 'Raising Cain' the other day. Is it wrong that I enjoy John Lithgow when he plays psychotic or psychopathetic roles? The movie is about a guy who suffers multiple personality disorder and a specific task he is trying to accomplish. I use to love this movie when I was younger but after rewatching it I feel it was missing something.

I also saw Black Swan. I enjoyed it. I could not imagine how much work is needed to get to the point Portman was in. And all that work still was not perceived well enough and until the end she could not let loose. Like she's mechanical and does not possess human depth.
  • I watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" (2016)

It was amazing. It's a quirky, heart-warming comedy from New Zealand about a young boy who gets placed in a rural foster home with two foster parents. Through a series of events, the boy ends up on a zany adventure through the wilderness.

It's a coming of age tale/ buddy comedy, and I highly recommend it. Also, it's got a nice, short 101 minute run time, which is a breath of fresh air compared to today's overly long movies.

9/10

Deemichielterlouw
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Meh, 5/10. A story with some really great and creepy promise that gets bogged down by an overly complicated time travel plot that doesn't seem to care about the inconsistency of its own rules. Some great trademark Tim Burton moments but overall it felt a little sterile and sanitised compared to his best works, sacrificing some melancholy in order to incorporate the typical young adult tropes that the original source material obviously contained. 
    darwinfeeshyDee
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    ghm3 said:

I've heard over and over again how good Airplane is so I finally got around to it. It was pretty much exactly what I feared, I could only get through 20 some minutes. I guess I could see it being good when it came out but holy shit is it dated.

Airplane the 1980s comedy?? That's a classic!! I find myself quoting it almost daily LOL!! Surely you can't be serious?
    Travis
  • Don't call me Shirley.
    TaraC73
    Travis said:

Don't call me Shirley.

Classic!
    Travis
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2016
    The remake of The Magnificent Seven

The most interesting thing about the movie was that the Native ally was named Red Harvest.

The Kurosawa movie Yojimbo, remade as the western The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, is widely thought to be based off Dashiel Hammett's first novel, Red Harvest, about a private detective intervening in a feud between a corrupt mining corporation and a town with warring factions.  Yojimbo was remade as Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis in 1996.

Action scenes were fine, but that little trivia nod was the coolest thing about this overwhelming mediocrity to me...
    DaveyMac
    Inferno.

Nonsense garbage.
    hisdudeness915
    Just watched Hunt For The Wilderpeople. Absolutely loved it, my favourite movie of the year so far!
    michielterlouw
  • Just went to the theater for the first time in ages and saw Jason Bourne. It opened late here. My reaction to it was very similar to Jim and A.Ron's. A whole lotta meh. Which is a shame as I am huge fan of the first three in the series. The Greece sequence was excellent, though.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Watched Pontypool after hearing J&A gush over it. To be clear I stopped the podcast, then watched the movie. I was glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who was worried he was stroking out early on in the film. Its such a weird experience to have language turned on its head like that. Especially if you have no idea going in that is what the premise is. 
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Instead....
    Watch John Wick! Just caught this earlier today and man I just love this movie. I've never been a Keanu fan so I missed out on this in theaters. My friend convinced me to rent it and holy crap it exceeded every expectation. A surprise hit in my book. I think the guys would love it if they haven't seen it already.
    darwinfeeshy
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I just finished "The Program" about Lance Armstrong and his PED program, as a massive cycling fan and I was even a big Armstrong defender until he gave it all up. I thought they nailed the story although I can't believe they made Floyd Landis out to be a hero in the story (although Meat Damon was good in that role).

Ben Foster was really good as Lance and I think they hit most of the big points, Armstrong even had Foster on his podcast recently who seemed apologetic about the movie not going in a certain direction. 

They also didn't hit some of the other elements being the good that Armstrong did through Livestrong even though in the end he was at the same time being a total prick to everyone that tried to take it away

Overall a pretty decent movie even though there wasnt anything new that really came out of it
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The Infiltrator was a decent watch. It has some major pacing issues and it's really hard to buy some of the relationships that develop, but it does a solid enough job telling the story. A documentary about the subject matter would have been better.
  • amyja89 said:

Just watched Hunt For The Wilderpeople. Absolutely loved it, my favourite movie of the year so far!

My wife and I watched it this weekend. And we both really enjoyed it (which almost never happens when we watch a movie together). Very funny and charming movie.
    amyja89
  • Drew said:

Off to see Blair Witch tonight, been a long time since I saw the original and I'm pretty bummed I wasn't able to rewatch before tonight.

Any good?
  • Just saw Shin Godzilla. Very fun throwback, it's definitely more similar in style to the older Godzilla films (pre 90's) than the newer ones. Japan has to stop the monster before America drops some freedom nukes on Tokyo. There's a heavy focus on the Japanese bureaucracy's response to the situation. It also features an "American ambassador" Japanese woman with the thickest accent ever, and English is supposedly the character's first language. I feel like it added to the charm of the film, though. 

7.5/10
    DaveyMac
  • Just in case anybody is still wondering....Lucy is one of the most laughably bad movies I've ever seen. Do not watch. 1/10
    Watched The Godfather Epic all day yesterday - it was awesome, as always.
    I watched World War Z last night and really enjoyed it! It was super creepy seeing fast and nimble zombies -- how much different would TWD be if the zombies were like the WWZ ones?? I'm not much of a sequel person, but this movie could do with a sequel. I'd love to see how/if they resolve this zombpoc, maybe see how it started or spread. The soldier who was with Gerry at the WHO, what happened to her? I know there are books, I might read them and see how things go down.
  • TaraC73 said:

I watched World War Z last night and really enjoyed it! It was super creepy seeing fast and nimble zombies --

Have you seen the classic "28 days later"?
    If I'm not mistaken, it pioneered fast zombies.

TaraC73 said:

I watched World War Z last night and really enjoyed it! It was super creepy seeing fast and nimble zombies --

Have you seen the classic "28 days later"?
    If I'm not mistaken, it pioneered fast zombies.
    I haven't seen any of those films. I'll have to check it out!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @TaraC73 28 Days Later is SO GOOD! Probably my favourite movie of the zombie genre.
    TaraC73darwinfeeshy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    trippy said:

Not to be confused with the Sandra Bullock "28 days" movie.  It will be a whole lot of boring waiting for the zombies in that one.

Because all of the zombies are alcoholics and lumber around even slower than usual?
    TaraC73
    I'm definitely going to check it out! :)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited October 2016
    trippy said:

Not to be confused with the Sandra Bullock "28 days" movie.  It will be a whole lot of boring waiting for the zombies in that one.

On the plus side, Steve Buscemi!
  • I watched the Jude Law/Forrest Whitaker movie Repo Men last week.  It was okay.  It had an interesting premise but turned into the "you-do(work)-in-some shady-business-that-you-ok-with-until-something-happens-to-you-and-now-you-a-victim-of-it" cliche.  The actress who plays Melisandre in GoT is in the movie and I thought they made her unnecessarily more bitchy than what was warranted.