Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

1575859606163»

Comments

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Just watched "One Cut of the Dead." It's a Japanese movie. Saying much about it would be a spoiler, but I liked it a lot.  If you do watch it, the first 30-40 minutes you'll be thinking "What the hell did Josh like about this movie? It's terrible!"

Trust me.  Stick it out. 
    DashEnginelengmo
  • Finally got around to watching Train to Busan and I'm a little disappointed in myself that it took this long to watch it. Easily a top 3 zombie movie in my opinion and it has to have the best human to zombie transformation in any zombie movie/tv show. 
    cdrive
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    awookiee said:
    Finally got around to watching Train to Busan and I'm a little disappointed in myself that it took this long to watch it. Easily a top 3 zombie movie in my opinion and it has to have the best human to zombie transformation in any zombie movie/tv show. 
    Oh man, that one knocked my socks off. Just when I thought I'd seen everything a zombie movie could do, that thing comes along. It is amazing. 
    awookieehisdudeness915
    Scare Me: This is about two horror writers stuck in a cabin after the power goes out. They take turns telling each other scary stories. It is a comedy but has its moments of darkness also. I liked it well enough, but man, it is getting shredded on places like Letterboxd. I thought it was fun and the sound design was great. It is on Shudder if anyone is wanting to give it a whirl. 
    cdriveJoshTheBlack
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 12
    Scare Me: This is about two horror writers stuck in a cabin after the power goes out. They take turns telling each other scary stories. It is a comedy but has its moments of darkness also. I liked it well enough, but man, it is getting shredded on places like Letterboxd. I thought it was fun and the sound design was great. It is on Shudder if anyone is wanting to give it a whirl. 
    Interesting...that's on my list for this Halloween season. I'm able to get it on Amazon Prime video somehow. 

Last Movie I watched:

Extra Ordinary
    Words that come to mind:  Delightful, Adorable, Hilarious, Witty, Fun.  This is a good piece of Halloween candy.  It's got the oogie boogie ghost stuff, but it's mainly a quirky comedy.  When you need a nice palate cleanser in between all the real horror you're binging this season, but want to stay in Halloween mode, I'd recommend this one. 
    edited October 13
    Haunt : Another Shudder movie. Lately there have been lots of movies about people going to haunted house attractions, only to find out they are actually haunted or other shit is going down. This is one of those, and really not bad at all. It is 90 minutes and things move at a brisk pace. I'd give it a look if you have Shudder and this sounds up your alley. It is nothing that will blow your hair back, but worth giving a try. It also gives at least some time to addressing trauma and responses to it. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 18
    The Trial of the Chicago 7, new Aaron Sorkin movie on Netflix. A bit on the nose and overly idealistic (as Sorkin is wont to do), but who am I to resist a competently written Sorkin courtroom drama with very timely subject matter!

And it has a crazy good cast - I'm guessing some Oscar nominations will come out of it. Sacha Baron Cohen, Jeremy Strong, Yahya Abdul-Mateen, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Frank Langella, among others ... and a pretty great cameo that I think was left out of the trailer so I won't spoil it here.
    Come to Daddy (2019) - Elijah Woods goes to meet his father (Played by Stephen McHattie from Pontypool!) that bailed on him when he was 5 out at his remote cabin.  Things quickly get dark and twisted.  Elijah Wood puts in a great performance in this strange little film.  It's mostly a "two people alone in a room" kind of movie.  7/10.
    Chinaski
    Come to Daddy (2019) - Elijah Woods goes to meet his father (Played by Stephen McHattie from Pontypool!) that bailed on him when he was 5 out at his remote cabin.  Things quickly get dark and twisted.  Elijah Wood puts in a great performance in this strange little film.  It's mostly a "two people alone in a room" kind of movie.  7/10.
    I wanted to like this more than I did. I adored the first half, but when things start to go haywire, it started to lose me. But that first hour is so amazing. It is definitely worth a look if someone is into tense, screwed up, thrillers. 
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    I wanted to like this more than I did. I adored the first half, but when things start to go haywire, it started to lose me. But that first hour is so amazing. It is definitely worth a look if someone is into tense, screwed up, thrillers. 
    i remember seeing the trailer for this when it came out and getting my attention. i creeped me out (maybe it was Elijah Woods mustache). may need to give this a view.
    Chinaski said:
    i remember seeing the trailer for this when it came out and getting my attention. i creeped me out (maybe it was Elijah Woods mustache). may need to give this a view.
    That mustache is something else. I did dig it, so I say go for it. But not if you are averse to mustaches. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Miller's Crossing
    Watched because of the discussion on the Fargo podcast.  The main character was a little too cool for school for any tension to build up about his repeated interactions with the same group of characters with conflicting goals.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    Watched on a whim because it was a Coen brothers film I'd not seen.  I found it thoroughly charming, with the slapstick/dumb humor parts rarely overstaying their welcome.  There were a few scenes which went awry but overall it was very well done.
    Babyteeth (2020) - "When seriously ill teenager Milla falls madly in love with smalltime drug dealer Moses, it’s her parents’ worst nightmare. But as Milla’s first brush with love brings her a new lust for life, things get messy and traditional morals go out the window. Milla soon shows everyone in her orbit - her parents, Moses, a sensitive music teacher, a budding child violinist, and a disarmingly honest, pregnant neighbour - how to live like you have nothing to lose. What might have been a disaster for the Finlay family instead leads to letting go and finding grace in the glorious chaos of life. Babyteeth joyously explores how good it is not to be dead yet and how far we will go for love."

This one started out pretty slow.  I don't know if it was the movies pace or the lingering anxiety of our week of vote counting that made this difficult to give my undivided attention, but I'm glad I did.  It was brilliantly well acted by Eliza Scanlen (Sharp Objects, Little Women), Toby Wallace (The Society), Essie Davis (The Babadook), and Ben Mendelsohn (no introduction necessary!)  It was full of heart and absolutely beautifully filmed.  Character motivation was really great, with all these people making the decisions that their separate damages would likely lead them to.  This film is a gem!  9.5/10.
    I have heard great things about Babteeth. It is on my to-watch list. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 14
    The Greatest Showman. I quite enjoyed the film itself, but the music was really bad. Very generic, forgettable songs with no real hook, not at all suited to the setting of the movie. Normally I adore a musical and get excited every time they start singing but this time I was like, “Ugh, another song?” 

Anyway, Zac Efron and Zendaya were quite charming, and Zac looks good in a ringmaster’s jacket. 
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 

Man I love 20th century history movies that have great set & costume, and edit in real footage.  My favorite performance was from Jeremy Strong.  Also Frank Langella played a great villain/asshole.  Shout out to Dr. Manhattan / Yahya Abdul-Mateen II.  Sacha was on point as well.  It's only 129 minutes long and it's a banger.  Really enjoyable.  When we saw "Aaron Sorkin" in the end credits we both let out a "Oh of course!" haha.   
    edited December 1
    Over two hours long gets an "only 129 minutes long..." ? Movies are way too long for my attention span these days. Don't mind me, I will go back to yelling at the clouds. 
    Over two hours long gets an "only 129 minutes long..." ? Movies are way too long for my attention span these days. Don't mind me, I will go back to yelling at the clouds. 

No I'm just an idiot. I was thinking 1.5 hour which is of course 90 minutes if I had a normally functioning brain today.  It still felt quick. 
    cdrive said:

No I'm just an idiot. I was thinking 1.5 hour which is of course 90 minutes if I had a normally functioning brain today.  It still felt quick. 
    Oh god. I do that all the time. My brain likes to think that there are 100 minutes in an hour. So if someone says something is 120 minutes long, I think it is less than an hour and a half. 
    cdrive
    cdrive said:

Oh god. I do that all the time. My brain likes to think that there are 100 minutes in an hour. So if someone says something is 120 minutes long, I think it is less than an hour and a half. 
    Haha...okay thank goodness I'm not the only one.  

15 years ago when I changed schools and majors:

Counselor - "You have to minor in something also.  You're 3 hours away from having a minor in math.  Do you want to do that?"

Me - "Nnnnope."