204 - "Gloves Off"

2»

Comments

• Anyone think part of Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman is to get out of an agreement with Chuck?  As soon as he said "No more Jimmy McGill practicing law," I thought the name change would solve that....
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA

Anyone think part of Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman is to get out of an agreement with Chuck?  As soon as he said "No more Jimmy McGill practicing law," I thought the name change would solve that....

It'd be a classic Slippin Jimmy move.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited March 2016
    It may have been brought up on the podcast, I haven't gotten to it yet, but Jimmy walking across the waxed floor where he could easily slip, is the sledgehammer-over-the-head symbolism that I feel like usually annoys me. But for some reason it doesn't pester me that much when the Villigang is handling things. It may not hold up on rewatch, but for right now it is good in my book.

As bad-ass as all of the Mike stuff was...it will forever bother me that Mike is too concerned with all of the variables to murder Tuco. But then goes with another plan that had even more variables that could have gone wrong . All the concerns Mike brought up to Nacho  involved getting arrested or the plan just going awry. The plan he devised himself relied on a huge amount of luck, coincidence, and a tiny bit of skill--but could have easily gotten Mike killed. It just doesn't flow for me. I get that part of the reason he avoided the killing of Tuco was his own personal reasons, but the alternative shouldn't have put him in such risk. He doesn't know how many meth cocktails Tuco has had that day or how he'd respond to this issue with the car, how fast the cops would get there, etc, etc. For a guy who is so cautious, this just seemed a bridge too far.

It also was reminiscent of the opener in season 4 of BB where Walt has had the shit beaten out of him by Jesse, but you have no clue how or why. And then by episode's end it becomes abundantly clear.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Anyone think part of Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman is to get out of an agreement with Chuck?  As soon as he said "No more Jimmy McGill practicing law," I thought the name change would solve that....

Interesting, but by the time Jimmy reaches that point i don't he'll give a shit about Chuck. 
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    edited March 2016
    Michael Mando is doing an incredible job as Nacho! Mucho respect! Chapeau!
    DrewDeemanhattnik
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited March 2016
    Just a quick thingy... for those of you in the LA area, this weekend it looks like the cast/crew of BCS (Bob Odenkirk: "Jimmy McGill"
    , Jonathan Banks: "Mike Ehrmantraut"
    , Michael Mckean: "Chuck McGill"

Rhea Seehorn: " Kim Wexler"
    , Patrick Fabian: "Howard Hamlin"
    , Michael Mando: "Nacho Varga"
    , Vince Gilligan: Showrunner, Executive Producer, Writer
    , Peter Gould: Showrunner, Executive Producer, Writer
    )

are going to be doing an interview at Paley. Here is a link for the tickets if interested.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/paleyfest-better-call-saul-hollywood-california-03-12-2016/event/09005027CB261ED4?artistid=1101253&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=16&tm_link=artist_msg-0_09005027CB261ED4%footer
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Listened to the podcast.

I don't think that feedback letter about Kim's law career and standing in the firm is correct.  We know that HHM paid for her law school, I am pretty sure that only happens after years of working at a firm, so she almost certainly wasn't straight through school to become a lawyer.  
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I haven't checked reddit yet to see if it was mentioned there, and maybe I'm reaching, but did anyone else think that painting Mike was looking at through the scope looked like the spot where we last see him on Breaking Bad? Interesting that he chose at that moment not to go through with it. But again, I could be reaching.
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA

Listened to the podcast.

I don't think that feedback letter about Kim's law career and standing in the firm is correct.  We know that HHM paid for her law school, I am pretty sure that only happens after years of working at a firm, so she almost certainly wasn't straight through school to become a lawyer.  
    Agreed, I was under the impression that Jimmy and Kim were "in the mailroom" together. Perhaps Kim wasn't in the mailroom per se but they have the same amount of time at the firm.
  • chrisk said:

I haven't checked reddit yet to see if it was mentioned there, and maybe I'm reaching, but did anyone else think that painting Mike was looking at through the scope looked like the spot where we last see him on Breaking Bad? Interesting that he chose at that moment not to go through with it. But again, I could be reaching.

@chrisk I thought the same thing. So did several folks on Reddit. So you're in good company.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2016

Listened to the podcast.

Agreed, I was under the impression that Jimmy and Kim were "in the mailroom" together. Perhaps Kim wasn't in the mailroom per se but they have the same amount of time at the firm.
    I don't remember if they worked in the mailroom together, but Jimmy told Chuck that "if Kim could do it" (pass the bar), maybe he could too.  So she had been practicing for some time before he passed the bar, but in an extremely low level position.  Law firms do not pay for tuition IRL, although there are some exceptions I could list, but I think people get too hung up on wanting the legal aspects of the show to be real-life accurate, when they just have to be believable for the universe of the show.  Hopefully we will find out why HHM paid for Kim's law school, because that struck me as an odd thing to add to her mysterious backstory.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited March 2016
    Ok I'm going to come to Michelle's defense here.

Public accounting firms and Law firms are very much close to the same thing. The only difference is what government body you are defending the client from. A CPA requires more college credit that a 4 year degree, is regulated by the state the same way lawyers are, hell you even have to pass a hard ass test to be able to get a certificate/license to represent clients as a CPA.

And yeah the actual CPA firms are very much obsessed with corporate image. We have our own version of Saul Goodman ambulance chasers, it is Liberty Tax, H&R block and the like. No big firm would have a big blow up statue of liberty and a sign twirler.

I can also answer the billing question for you. Basically what most firms do (both lawyers and CPAs) is you track your client time down in 15 min intervals.

Everyone that touches client material from the front desk receptionist binding reports, to the staff people, to the partners has a billable rate.

For example as a staff CPA my billable rate was like $120 an hour. Now this isn't necessarily what the client gets billed. Each partner has their own book of clients and it is ultimately up the them how much of that time to "eat". I don't think HHM could be competitive/be able to explain why they had a senior lawyer on doc review. They would have to eat that time, and bill at a lower rate.

That is partially why her being bumped down was so much of an insult. Your time is tracked so much, and the more partners have to eat because you don't work effieciently or are doing lower work under your pay grade, the more money they potentially lose.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

Listened to the podcast.

Haha, yeah, that's what I thought as well, so you're in whatever company that puts you.  I think maybe Jim was the one not sure?  Anyway, agreed, I feel like she put in her time and worked her way up.  I actually know at least one real life example of this happening.  A lawyer who started at her firm just doing paperwork, got really good at it, realized she'd be even better and could do more with a law degree, the firm agreed, and put her through law school (there were a lot of conditions to this, and more to the story), and bob's your uncle she's practicing law there now.