What Movie Sets Have You Been On?

Their filming a movie next to a park were I walk my dog. Its kind of cool being around movie sets. 

Personally the movie sets I've been on/around are Capote (2005) and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007). The Capote one was cool because I got to say hi to Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Chris Cooper and Catherine Keener. Plus the movie won an Oscar. What about you guys? Been on any sets? Meet any actors/actresses? Work on any movie sets?

Melonusk

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Rise of the Planet of The Apes. They closed off a couple of blocks of San Francisco to turn it Post Apocalyptic. And I think an episode of Alcatraz was shot at a friends house, for fans of that show. 
    Jovial_Falcon
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 2016
    I walked down to the set of Back to the future when I was in high school. They were filming the part where he drove the car into the past at the Mall parking lot across the street from where I lived. I didn't see to much.i think I saw the director or the producer Spielberg. I saw the car and some other stuff. They had a event at the mall last year for the movie. I forgot why they did it.
    At the set of the mr mrs smith movie with Brad Pitt I was walking by a place where they were filming. I was trying to scope out the craft service table for a free lunch. Alas there was a guard.
    Not a movie set but I was riding my bike down in Hollywood and the street was cut off and people were crowded around so I stopped and they were giving Director William friedkin(exorcist French Conection) a star on the walk of fame.
    Me and a friend were driving down Hollywood in September one year and there was a just one block with the Cristmas decorations up. I saw a cop near where we waiting on the light. Asked him why? he said some movie with Mel Gibson was being filmed. That movie turned out to be the first lethal Weapon.
    MichelleFrakkin T
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 2016
    If you go to Vancouver, you will walk into quite a few of them. I remember at a hotel i was staying at there, it was on a harbor, and there was a film crew on this one dock filming almost every night. Never found out what the show or movie was though, i didnt really want to disturb them so late at night. 

And, well, I guess, my great grandmother was a silent movie star, her name was May McAvoy, she's got a star in Hollywood and everything. She was actually in the first talkie, "The Jazz Singer"  and I guess the other well known one was Ben-Hur (the silent version) she was in many more, but a lot of those early silent movies were lost. I never met her unfortunately, she died in 84, I was born in 89 but we have a ton of her stuff. Costumes, hand beaded purses, actor's chairs from sets of movies, pictures of her with John Wayne, who she apparently was good friends with. Lot's of cool stuff. She is one I would like to investigate on Ancestry.com, bet she had a pretty interesting life.  Unfortunately, her only son, my grandpa has died, so I don't know if she has any living relatives. Watching her movies is really strange, your watching an actor, like any other, and with watching an actor there is a level of intimacy, yet I never met her...yet I am realted to her. It's really odd. 

Here she is! She was really tiny, 4'10'', just like me :)

Renikingbee67GredalBeeDancesWithWookiesDaveyMacFrakkin TFlashGordonksa1001Underwood
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2016
    In the early '90s, I watched Hugh Grant film a couple of scenes for 9 1/2 Months on Haight near Ashbury in San Francisco. Also, I saw part of the set for Outbreak and watched Jim Carrey film a few scenes for The Majestic (both movies filmed in Ferndale, CA near my town).
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @aberry89 that is a awesome story. It does blow that film has been lost over the years.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @aberry89 I would highly advocate researching your family on Ancestry.com.  I've been building my family tree for years there, even connecting one line to Charlemagne and finding other happy surprises within my family, so to me it's all been worth it.  You might find some amazing information on your great grandmother, as well as other wonderful things.  :)
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Not really a movie set per se, but I took a Sopranos tour where they took you all over New Jersey and would drop you off at filming locations. The show was shot on-location, so you actually could walk around the Bada Bing and things like that. It was a blast.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I actually have a relative that has used Ancestry.com and did a ton of research on that side of the family, but very little on my mother's side (which is the side with May McAvoy)  But what she was able to find was pretty incredible! That side of the family is all from Tennessee and we have lots of Cherokee ancestry. It's amazing what you can still find records on. 

Michelle
  • I was on a tour of Pinewood Studios while Willow was filming. I also saw New Haven, CT when they were filming Main Street sequences for Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I worked across the street from Grand Central Station in NYC for 8 years (125 park avenue)
    The number of film sets I saw from my 3rd story window during that time:

The Other Guys
    I Am Legend
    The Avengers (that bridge they're on for the hero 360 shot was right outside my window)
    White Collar (tv)
    Person of Interest (tv-opening credits)
    Nurse Jackie (tv)
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    Remember Me
    Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)
    Arthur (2011)

and that's just off the top of my head