Daredevil over People vs.OJ, Narcos, Mr.Robot & Power...but why? #DontDoItForThePlays

Daredevil is such a mainstream widely youtube reviewed show, I come to Bald Move to cover the best in well done dramas that no one else is covering well.  There are soooooo many shows I would rather them cover over Daredevil. Am I alone in this feeling?
Elisa

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Daredevil is awesome. They talked about potentially covering Mr Robot in some form this year and mentioned they would have done it last year if they knew how good it was going to be.
    TravisChuckKellyksa1001Brawn
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited March 2016
    Yeah Daredevil is awesome, and there is a lot of potential for lobe-related humor this year, with Jon Bernthal on. I'd prefer DD over the other shows mentioned in the op. 
    TravisBrawnCecily
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I would love a single podcast that covers The People vs. OJ Simpson. I feel like the content is gripping, interesting, and intriguing enough, as well as the subject being so widely known worldwide, that it would get a *lot* of listens. Plus I'd love to hear their take on it all.
    HunterTravis
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 2016
    I watched Jessica Jones - but have yet to see Daredevil - so yeah, fuck it! I am biased. 

I would have loved a OJ podcast too, but you have to remember, were coming from it six episodes in, when we all know how good it is and it's become FX's most watched show. Sometimes its hard to gauge if a show will take off like that - I cant really blame them for not being to catch this one in time. 

I wouldn't mind a wrap up cast for the show, but unfortunately I think this is one where the week to week discussion would have been a lot more interesting because they could have really gotten into the details of the case in-show, and real life.  
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    If I had known OJ was going to be so good I'd have pushed for more coverage. If I had known daredevil was going to be so good we'd have covered it's first season. You win some, you lose some.

We will be doing at least one pod on OJ.
    MichelleTravisTheEconomistChuckKellyksa1001Brawn
  • I have a feeling you'd quite enjoy Narcos, if you haven't already seen it, Aron
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 2016
    Daredevil, the Punisher and Electra should be set up to be a great show. And I would imagine after how good Mr. Robot Season was1, Season 2 is a must?
  • I can see a complaint about not covering the shows mentioned, but saying they should be done over a new season of Daredevil? To quote Clay Davis: Sheeeeeeeeeit
    Frakkin TSlytherinSisterBrawn
  • MichelleMichelle California
    aberry89 said:

I would have loved a OJ podcast too, but you have to remember, were coming from it six episodes in, when we all know how good it is and it's become FX's most watched show. Sometimes its hard to gauge if a show will take off like that - I cant really blame them for not being to catch this one in time.

I wasn't complaining or blaming *anyone*, just replying in the thread.
    Trust me, I get how hard they're busting their asses and am the last person to complain about a damn thing.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Oh, no I wasn't thinking you were blaming them at all. I was speaking of myself, feeling sorry to have missed out on a possible great podcast, but remembering that I, me, can't hold to the idea that they will catch every good show that comes out.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I didn't get into Daredevil, but I can see why a lot of people like it and why it would appeal to the BM aesthetic. I would love to have an American Crime podcast, but we can't have everything, I guess. :-)
    hypergenesbElisaMichelle
  • I also think it's pretty safe to assume that they'll cover season 2 of Mr Robot.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Maybe a bald tv podcast is needed soon on shows we missed.
  • Glad to hear that Jim and Aron are going to do at least 1 podcast on the People vs. OJ, so far it is the best show that has been released this year.  It is still early though.
  • Hunter said:

Glad to hear that Jim and Aron are going to do at least 1 podcast on the People vs. OJ, so far it is the best show that has been released this year.  It is still early though.

It's funny. I passed on that show because I thought, "I remember that entire situation vividly. I don't need to watch that." Whoops. lol 

Everyone I know in life is demanding that I watch it. I have to find some time.
  • As far as I'm concerned (and I think A.Ron is on board with this) season 2 of Mr. Robot is a lock.  

What you need to understand is that we can't cover the first season of every show that pops up.  There are too many and most of them aren't good enough to cover, especially shows on USA.  As a 2-man operation our time is very limited.  Waiting until season 2 lets us see what shakes out and not waste our time covering shitty shows while missing out on better ones.  

Also, consider how much you'd enjoy a podcast covering a show you like where the hosts don't like it, aren't enthused and are just pushing through to the end of the season so they can be done with it.  It benefits us and the audience to hold off for a year and pick only our favorite shows to invest our time in.

That's how I see it anyway.
    ElisaMike SnowMichellehypergenesbadobo1148DeeryanfosterDaveyMacksa1001Brawn
  • Jim said:

As far as I'm concerned (and I think A.Ron is on board with this) season 2 of Mr. Robot is a lock.  

What you need to understand is that we can't cover the first season of every show that pops up.  There are too many and most of them aren't good enough to cover, especially shows on USA.  As a 2-man operation our time is very limited.  Waiting until season 2 lets us see what shakes out and not waste our time covering shitty shows while missing out on better ones.  

Also, consider how much you'd enjoy a podcast covering a show you like where the hosts don't like it, aren't enthused and are just pushing through to the end of the season so they can be done with it.  It benefits us and the audience to hold off for a year and pick only our favorite shows to invest our time in.

That's how I see it anyway.
     Makes sense to me. 

As a side bar, my wife loves listening to you guys as well. I'm using your decision to cover Daredevil S2 as a way to get her to watch it. So thanks for that. :)
    Brawn
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

I have a feeling you'd quite enjoy Narcos, if you haven't already seen it, Aron

We actually did do a bit of podcasting on Narcos, and Mr. Robot: http://baldmove.com/tv-podcast/27-the-brink-ballers-narcos-mr-robot/

Elisa
  • If you guys can't do a full retrospective of mr robot season 1, I'm hoping you do a season 2 preview and a season one wrap up in one podcast.
    Elisa
  • I'm interested in where you think mr robot may be heading, did the revolution happen to early, I was hoping for a little more build up? How does season one mr robot stack up against the best seasons of other shows, I'm personally bracing myself for a sophomore slump, but will be entertained anyway.
    Elisa
  • I have a feeling you'd quite enjoy Narcos, if you haven't already seen it, Aron

We actually did do a bit of podcasting on Narcos, and Mr. Robot: http://baldmove.com/tv-podcast/27-the-brink-ballers-narcos-mr-robot/

Terrific!
  • I've invested about 5 hours into Jessica Jones (3 hrs) and Daredevil (2), mostly because everyone keeps telling me it's great. But, I find myself checking out within 10 minutes of each episode, and constantly checking the time from that point on.  Perhaps it's just not my cup o tea, or maybe both of these shows really scuffle out of the gate?   Is there an AH HA moment for either show?
    ElisaDeeAntManBeepavlovsbell
  • @MichaelG Episode 2 of Daredevil is probably the best episode.  If you saw that one, including the fight sequence at the end, and weren't convinced I wouldn't waste your time with the rest of it.
    Elisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I'd actually say both shows start off better than they finish. Daredevil's finale is particularly sloppy, in my opinion and Jessica Jones starts off incredibly strong, but it stutters quite a bit along the way. It should have probably been an 8 episode season or something. I'd agree with Jim and say they probably aren't for you if it hasn't clicked. Thats not to say you can't go back and give them another try at some point, of course.
    Elisa
  • @Garthgou81 @Jim I did like that fight scene at the end, for sure. I've heard that Kingpin really amps things up, whenever he is introduced. I'll watch another episode or two and see how I feel.
  • Daredevil Episode 8, "Shadows in the Glass" (which Jim and A Ron covered in their commissioned cast) was the episode that did it for me. I was in even after the first episode but Shadows was the episode that had me saying this is one of the better shows on right now.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    MichaelG said:

@Garthgou81 @Jim I did like that fight scene at the end, for sure. I've heard that Kingpin really amps things up, whenever he is introduced. I'll watch another episode or two and see how I feel.

That's entirely possible. Vincent D'Onofrio does a masterful job with the role (as does David Tenant with Killgrave), and I'd say that's a good time to bail. If the focus of the show having a villain doesn't pull things together for you, bail.
  • Yeah, I guess episode 8 could also do it but man, sitting through 6 more hours of something you don't like to get to that seems rough.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Although there are some things about Daredevil that I love (primarily the action sequences and Charlie Cox), I'm not as enamored of Daredevil as everyone else.  I was the same as @MichaelG, checking my phone whenever the conversations started or Karen and Froggy were having their millionth repetitive drinking session.  The dialogue is terrible, and I intensely dislike D'Onofrio's performance (but I love Tobey Leonard-Moore as his right hand man).  I think the first episode that captured my full attention was 107, "Stick."  Without being spoilery, the casting for that was spot on.

I would have loved more of Matt in the courtroom, but that's not the story they're telling here.  This is all setup for the larger Defenders storyline, so there is some meandering that you have to sit through (they don't really know what to do with Karen and Froggy) if you're interested in sticking with this universe.  I really like Matt Murdock, and I love Elektra, so I'm looking forward to S2.
  • @jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard ; ,  I understand the limitations, but I think this should be something the community as a whole should work to improve. I see no reason that we could not devise some system with a high bar or threshold to identify shows worth covering early on. This is something we as a community should brainstorm on and help with devising and building.