Nissan Pathfinder vs Honda Pilot

TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
after test driving and researching many different vehicles we've narrowed down our choices to the following (the different years don't matter; they are basically the same vehicle)

2015 or 2016 Honda Pilot
2014 2015 or 2016 Nissan Pathfinder

We are buying either a new or *certified* pre owned. It's likely going to come down to price tag-mileage on CPO... I'm not picky about any options, not paying more for fancy cameras or DVD players etc... And both cars can have heated seats and remote status added on (my *only* demand)

All paper research done, but would love to hear some real people opinions and experiences. Want this to be the last car we buy for a LONG time!!

Thanks in advance friends :)

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Are you gonna give the old car to your nice brother?
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I don't know much about those two cars specifically but Hondas are generally more reliable, built better, and hold their value insanely well. I took a quick look at the reviews and the Pilot is consistently getting five stars and the Pathfinder is mixed to negative. If one of them grabs you go with that one, but if you're totally split on it the Honda is a better choice on paper and will last you until we're all in self driving google cars or whatever.

TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Thanks for the input, Biz! I am equally split, to ever so slightly leaning towards the pathfinder :)

B - I would give you the old car in a heartbeat but it's a lease return, we don't own it (much to Jason's dismay... I've been hearing all about how much money we've pissed away over the last two years basically renting a car :eyeroll: )

Side note: leases are a good idea if you absolutely cannot afford a payment on a brand new/new to you car but HOT DAMN is the lease return a pain in the goddamn ass!!!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I absolutely loved the 2004 Pilot I had once upon a time.  I remember that the Pathfinder was in the shootout at the time I was making the purchase, but I was really turned off by the actual experience of driving the Pathfinder.  The Pilot was great at handing, very comfortable, did great in bad weather with the AWD model that I had, and reasonable gas mileage. It got the same mileage as my fucking Vibe, believe it or not, although that's an indictment of the Vibe as much as it is praise for the Pilot.  It just had so many  nice and thoughtful touches as a driver and passenger.

Having said that, that was 12 years ago.  I do think the new models of Pilot are quite good looking. 
    TaraC73
  • What is so terrible about returning a lease? Did you go way over in miles or something? Super high pressure into getting you to buy it?

I've never leased a car but I always figured it made sense if you knew you would only want it for 2-3 years, otherwise it doesn't seem prudent. 

I've had my car for 13 years and have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon.
    edited March 2016
    @ghm3

I am actually under in miles!! I paid an extra $7/month for an extra 3k miles/year :)

The lease return guidelines are very specific about scratches and dents in the car. Bigger than a dollar bill, deeper than /insert random metric/ they will charge... Well they estimated $1500 if I bring it back as-is! I had no idea it was going to be that bad. Nothing is bad except one scratch I got keyed a few months ago and it's deep. The dealer admitted that what they send you prepping you for the cosmetic check up is extremely vague and subject to change/interpretation.

Lease is up 3/26, calls started in December!! Pressure to buy it out AND pressure to get me to lease again. I ended up reporting one of the callers to corporate, and the other one to his management. (I had a coming from the one guy at the dealer AND one guy at corporate!!) it was insane. I ended up blocking both numbers on my cell and home phones. It was maddening.

13 years!?! What do you drive?? That's impressive!!
  • @TaraC73 Ahh yeah that sounds like a pain in the ass. I would use the fact that their material is vague to your advantage; if they try to charge you for something not defined in the paperwork, fuck 'em, I wouldn't pay for shit. What could they do? There's no security deposit with leases or anything are there? Anything they can withhold?

I bought a CPO '99 BMW M3 out of a lease and still love driving it to this day, despite the poor crappy interior slowly falling apart. It costs ~$1000-1200/yr in maintenance, still way less expensive than any newish car I'd want to drive instead. The new M2 looks fantastic, but there's no way I can afford one since I just bought a house and dumped an unholy amount of cash into it.
    TaraC73
    I decided on the Pathfinder, and we're going to pick it up today! Thanks for the input! :)