The Shining book read

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
It has begun.  I rather surprisingly came to the end of "The Mauritius Command" the other night, (It's a Patrick O'Brian thing, if you don't read him he tends to begin and end his stories abruptly) so I started "The Shining".  I thought this would be a good time to kind of test the waters on a book club style event.  So, I stopped after the first chapter. 

I'm not talking about a podcast, I'm talking about a forum event.  I want to keep this light and simple.  Is there any interest in this kind of thing?  How should we do it?  A set number of chapters per week?  Or should we just say read the whole damn thing, and then meet back and discuss one month later?  I'll be using my Kindle to make notes and annotations as I go.  I doubt I'll have any unique insights, but I'm not exactly steeped in The Shining lore, so it might be fun. 

What say everyone?

Comments

• I would be interested. I first started to read The Shining when I was 12 or 13, and I remember at one point being so terrified out of my mind, that I closed the book and never had the courage to ever pick it up again, lol. Well, I'm 30 now, so maybe it's time I face my fears, especially after having read many other King novels since.

I think discussing a few chapters a week would be better, to keep the interest going.
  • I've got the Audible version of The Shining.  I'm ready to go.
    SheIsGeeky
  • I'm game, gentlemen.  Perhaps 3-4 chapters a week?  I'm very curious if anyone on here read the book BEFORE seeing the movie.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    edited March 2016
    I will go old school since i still have my old copy of the shinning when read it in HS 20 yrs ago. i also think 2-3 chapters a week is the way to go and i saw the movie before i read the book.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2016
    Yes, sounds awesome. 2-3 chapters a week works for me. 

@kojiattwood I read the book before the film, about 8 years ago or so?  The Shining is actually what sent me down the Kubrick rabbit hole.  As a fan of both King and Kubrick, the adaptation and consequential controversy between both creators has been fascinating. Personally, I prefer the film more, which I can get into for various reasons as the book read goes along. 

Summed up, I feel like King's Shining is more compelling pulp than timeless literature, while Kubrick's Shining elevates the source material into into a cinematic masterpiece that will continue to stand the test of time.

As far as format, makes sense for @A_Ron_Hubbard or @Jim to start a thread each week with their first impressions, and then we can all critique and belittle each other in passive aggressive fashion from there.

SheIsGeeky
    edited March 2016
    On second thought, 2-3 chapters a week will take awhile (there are 58 is chapters). I forgot how short his chapters are and how quick of a read his stuff is.  

It's also divided into 5 parts in my version, maybe that makes more sense?  Not sure if the parts are delineated in the audible version, but I imagine they are. Here's how mine is laid out:

Part I:  Ch 1-7     (pgs 1-83)
    Part 2: Ch 8-13   (pgs 84-150)
    Part 3: Ch 14-25 (pgs 151-328)
    Part 4: Ch 26-37 (pgs 329-466)
    Part 5: Ch 38-58 (pgs 470-682)
    A_Ron_HubbardSheIsGeeky
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    I just saw the Shining in it's entirety about a month ago and just started reading the book. I'm on chapter 5 so I'd love to take part in this. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I much prefer Michael G's schedule.  The chapters seem to be hella short. 
    TaraC73
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I haven't read it for probably 30 years and I don't think I much liked it so I'm in - maybe I'll have matured into it by now. Or maybe I did like it and I'm just tainted by the movie, which I hate. Whatever - I'm in!
  • Yeah I love this idea. I'm definitely game. I just read The Shining for the first time a couple years back and it's reasonably fresh in my mind. There's lots of good discussion to be had both on just the book itself and also in how Kubrick adapted it and the issues King has raised with it.

I hope this is a success, as I'd love to see more of these book club type of threads.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I'm in. I'll head down to the basement and dig it out tomorrow!!
  • Sounds good to me I am just about to finish up listening to Room, so perfect timing to listen again to The Shining.
  • Has anyone read Dr. Sleep?
  • I'm in. Read the book a couple years ago. I loved it. I actually think its better than the movie. Its the only book that has actually scared me. 

@kojiattwood I have read Dr Sleep and I thought it was a pretty great follow up to The Shinning. Definitely goes in the a more supernatural direction but the way Danny's story unfolds after the events of the first book are pretty interesting. Would be a great follow up read for The Shinning when its done. 

Also, why not do a small wrap up podcast if you can (time permitting)?
  • Yeah I read Dr. Sleep shortly after I read The Shining. I've mentioned it a couple of times in other threads, but I thought the first third or so of Dr. Sleep was excellent and I really loved seeing Danny as an adult. The job he falls into also makes perfect sense given his talents. The book goes down in quality once the main plot kicks in though, in my opinion. It doesn't get bad or anything, but it just becomes a little less interesting as it progresses. I like where it all ends up, though. 
  • Yeah, sorry DaveyMac, I think I had a senior moment, you definitely did mention it before, sorry. 
  • edited March 2016
    @DaveyMac I liked the Abra/Danny storyline with the true knot. Like I said before, definitely takes a more supernatural tone with this book as compared to the first book, which some may not like as the first book was more psychological. 
  • No worries at all @kojiattwood . I was just worried people would be getting tired of reading my views again. That's why I mentioned it. Have you read it? I can't remember if you mentioned it in the other threads or not.

@DancesWithWookies I really liked the Abra/Danny stuff and their connection and how Tony fits into all of it, but I must admit, the True Knot stuff fell a little flat for me. I loved the the concept of the True Knot, but I was not a huge fan of the execution. Especially the interplay between those characters. I also wish there had been more tension and mystery as the different storylines converged. Still, I don't want to sound too down on it, as there's so much good stuff spread throughout. I'll stop here, though so as not to spoil too much for anyone with plans of reading it.
  • Haven't yet, but maybe re-reading the Shining will egg me on.  Have any of you investigated the deleted scene at the end of the movie that Kubrick changed?

edited March 2016
    @kojiattwood Only generally.  From what I remember, he shot a scene for the studio execs who might want a relatively happier ending, then just edited that shit out, right? I seem to recall them doing test screenings of both, as well, and possibly releasing different versions in different regions. That's how I remember it, at the very least.  Kubrick seemed to constantly be playing games with studios to get his movies shot the way he wanted. One of really interesting things about his career was how he was able to navigate the studio system with such subversive content.
  • Yeah, the scene pointed more of what transpired at the hotel directly to Ullman, and Kubrick saw the audience reacted much more strongly to the ending we all know now.  It's an interesting observation that someone who was such an iconic auteur still gave a damn about how his product was received by the public.
    MichaelG
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Okay, I'm officially adopting the Michael G schedule.

Part I: Ch 1-7 (pgs 1-83)
    Part 2: Ch 8-13 (pgs 84-150)
    Part 3: Ch 14-25 (pgs 151-328)
    Part 4: Ch 26-37 (pgs 329-466)
    Part 5: Ch 38-58 (pgs 470-682)

I'll start a new thread for week one. Let's aim to discuss my next Friday, and we'll do another part each Friday after that.