201 - "Bang"

No real commentary moments after having finished 201...just, holy shit! This is one of those rare shows that actually will cause me to stare, wide-eyed, as I grin at what is happening on-screen. Can't wait for the podcast.

• Reallt enjoyed this opener, but makes me a little worried that they already went with a direct punisher confrontation. Or is that plot going to be only half the season, with Elektra and the other gangs getting more importance later on?
  • Yeah, that was a pretty strong opener. I was a little offput by the very first shot, though. I mean, did Daredevil pick the guy up in front of the cop and then drag him into the alley? If that's so, then why did the cop act surprised? That is some very nitpicky shit for a pretty good episode of TV so I'm just going to forget it happened. 
    Melonusk said:

Reallt enjoyed this opener, but makes me a little worried that they already went with a direct punisher confrontation. Or is that plot going to be only half the season, with Elektra and the other gangs getting more importance later on?

I'm with you there. I don't know why Netflix insists on 13 episodes per season because now I'm worried they will have enough show. 
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    That was a sick opener. Pretty awesome fight between Punisher and Daredevil. I know @A_Ron_Hubbard didn't like any of the other Punishers, but I enjoyed Thomas Janes movie, didn't see Warzone. That said Jays Punisher is already more menacing, the walk through the hospital was intense.

Good opening scene as well. Karen was gorgeous as ever. Was she driving the reporter from season 1s car? And as always Foggy is great, his scene with Matt came off a lot less annoyingly whiny than it did last season when he found out about Matt.

@Melonusk @dummy I really like Punisher so I hope he's not just a half season guest star. Maybe half the season focuses directly on each of the two big names but they also appear sporadically throughout the season as well? I just hope Punisher isn't a quick in and out.
  • Loved the opener. I was a bit skeptical because I'm not the biggest Punisher fan, but I the buildup to his appearance at the end of the episode had me on the edge of my seat.  For me, Punisher works best as an antagonist, rather than a hero, so I'm glad they have him in that sort of role.

Did anyone else have Terminator 2 déjà vu during the hospital scene?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited March 2016
    That hospital scene was very effective and pretty horrifying. In the comics you always kind of get the impression that Punisher, while murking out the bad guys is doing it in as safe a way as possible so innocents don't get hurt. In the movies it has been a similar vibe since has been the hero. Here was a much more realistic and frightening take. I loved and was disturbed by it at the same time. He had to be just inches from taking off a pedestrian's head with a shotgun blast in the hospital.

I think Punisher is here to stay for most of the season. I think Elektra stuff will be interspersed throughout. I doubt we will have Punisher in every episode, which will make his appearance even more frightening, in a Jaws-attack sort of way. Berenthal did a great job from what little we actually saw of him.

Also Karen is seriously getting to be a badass. I mean she was cool last season, but mostly stumbled through the season making mistakes. Here she flat out was able to lie to the hospital, convince an Irish gang member to follow her plan, then escape the hospital with him while being sniped at by the Punisher. Good stuff over-all. Hope it stays like this.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I did find it interesting that they were very careful to show the Punisher not killing collateral damage.  Now, it's arguable that he WAS trying to kill Karen, but he might have her pegged as dirty for helping the "scum".
    Yeah, I got very, very tense as Punisher was aiming through his scope and had Karen in his sites for a second. I didn't think that he was going to kill her (though an unintentional kill would certainly up the stakes for all involved, but I like Karen way too much for her to go anywhere). The scary part here is how ruthless this Punisher is and as accurate as he is, he also seems to take a huge amount of risks as far as other casualties go. I feel like this has to come up at some point.
  • Oh come on. They spend all this time building up the mysterious Punisher who has hidden himself from all his nefarious opponents while laying waste to them, and the best reveal they can come up with is him walking down Main Street in broad daylight in a hospital with his gun dangling, with innocent bystanders all over the place? And to top it off, thanks to Karen Page's plot armor, he has to transform into a reaaaal slow walker and a crappy shot in order for her to escape with the Irish criminal. Color me unimpressed, they could have done better.
    I just listened to the podcast and @A_Ron_Hubbard , I assume you have no prior knowledge of this but you brought up Claire (Rosario Dawson). And spoilers below in white for her comics counterpart.

That is exactly what she does become. She is a character called The Night Nurse (goofy...but its more of a code name moniker than anything like a superhero name). She has an underground clinic to patch-up heroes who can't go to the typical hospital. I can't recall if she has ever helped a supervillain, but I'd be surprised if that had not been touched upon in some way. Anyway, just thought it was funny that you totally called that one.