203 - "New York's Finest"

Comments

• Did they top the hallway scene? I think they topped the hallway scene
    DummyFrakkin TTravisksa1001
  • You beat me to it! My jaw dropped when the elevator door reopened
    DummyFrakkin TTravis
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    For that whole scene I was thinking "He's still going!...still going!"

What a great way of supporting the point that they "get up" after the Daredevil treatment. Man, so far so great.
    DummyFrakkin TTravis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    SsRP5 said:

Did they top the hallway scene? I think they topped the hallway scene

The great part is that you think they're just gonna do another hallway fight, which turns out to be a little underwhelming until you realize it was just a prelude to the stairwell fight. He had a goddamn empty gun taped to one hand and still kicked epic levels of ass. Netflix\Marvel can do no wrong at this point.
    Travis
    edited March 2016
    Also I would pay real money to hear Jon Bernthal's Punisher say "It ain't like it was before!!"

EDIT: Wait does that mean Matt Murdock=Beta Rick?
    Dummyghm3Travis
    Also just a note regarding something the boys said in the preview cast: The Yakuza was a small part of season 1's story. The ninja he fought and burned alive was making a deal with Fisk that would have given them a piece of turf in Hell's Kitchen, IF he would take care of the man in the mask. And we all know how that turned out.
  • Frakkin T said:

Also I would pay real money to hear Jon Bernthal's Punisher say "It ain't like it was before!!"

EDIT: Wait does that mean Matt Murdock=Beta Rick?

Was I the only one that couldn't stop hearing "Raspy Rick Grimes" in Berenthal's Punisher voice?

Also, a special thanks to A. Ron, because of whom I now cannot stop giggling to myself, waiting for Punisher to pull out a really badass air horn and somehow make it seem cool :)
    DrKen
  • SsRP5 said:

Did they top the hallway scene? I think they topped the hallway scene

They topped it, drawn it, quartered it, set in on fire, subjected it to inhumane torture, then let Frank Underwood declare war on it...........Fuck Yeah Bitch!!!!!!!!!!!
    EMAW42
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    edited March 2016
    You could say that fight sequence was well chained together...but you wouldn't be funny or clever.
    Frakkin TTravisryanfoster
  • I think they topped the hallway scene. this fight scene was incredible. He had a GUN tapped to his hand.... and he kicked the shit out of twice as many guys as the hallway scene. Don't want to talk shit on the hallway scene it is amazing, but this has to be better
    Travis
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I couldn't help myself but keep watching. I could watch a show of just Daredevil and Punisher chilling on the roof drinking coffee. Amazing episode, the fight at the end was fucking crazy. I loved the way the camera moved as he was going down the stairs. Holy shit so good. I also enjoyed Foggy and Claire in the ER, liked the nods to Jessica Jones when she called off her shift to take care of the other mention Luke fucking Cage.
    DummyTravis
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I think that was the best episode of the series ever.

Punisher has brought things up a notch.
    Travis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    This fight sequence was impressive, no doubt, but the "more is better" approach made it feel like a video game about halfway down the stairwell. The S1 hallway sequence was entrancing not only because it was a true single take but also because it invoked the viewers' imaginations by not showing the violence in the rooms, and we could see the extreme toll that it was taking on Matt. The stakes felt more real. Once we got past the hallway here, where there was discernible acting (e.g., Matt's laugh at the empty chamber and his rage when shattering the lights), it seemed like an endless battery of punches, kicks, and stunts that grew less interesting the longer it went on. In "Cut Man", there was something very touching about Matt pausing to gather himself and remove his mask before greeting the child, where as here it was, welp, Matt survived and Frank got away, neither of which was surprising. And I realize that the point was Frank's method is more efficient and does Matt's brutality really give him the moral high ground, but that button didn't land with the impact I think the show wanted it to. 

I do love a good fight sequence, and this was impressive, but I give the edge to the one in "Cut Man."
    DummyunreadDemicMelonuskBrawn
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    From a purely technical standpoint this fight scene was amazing. The chain was a really awesome dynamic and it added a huge amount to the scene. But it really didn't have the heart that "Cut Man" had as @pavlovsbell mentioned. Its hard to look down on either because they are both spectacular to watch. But in the "Cut Man" fight, I felt the impact of each strike to Matt, while here it definitely felt more like a video game.
    pavlovsbellBrawn
  • I loved it! I'm not really prepared to say which of the two fight scenes was better (I kind of read my way down the page and more or less nodded at everything that was said) but either way, amazing stuff.

One thing that I did think was funny: My wife, who was as sucked in and awed by all of it as much as I was, let out a little "c'mon Matt" when he did the little flip stomp at the end. I wasn't thinking about it until she said something, but she has a point. He's just beat up/been beaten up by like 50 dudes and he can barely walk but he busts out the twisty flip move at the end instead of taking like two steps and just kicking the dude. This isn't really a criticism because it looked so damned cool, but I do see her point and it's become a bit of a running joke as we've watched it moving forward.

Holy shit Berenthal is KILLING IT! I'm totally loving this season.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Well it was a superhero landing, they all do it.
    Travis
  • Did anyone else not find it unbelievable that Frank didn't mention anything about the fact Daredevil was blind. A guy with his, erm,.. attention to detail? would notice all day long. Only just finished episode three so whether this gets addressed I don't know.

Who's side did you favour with on the roof. Punisher or Daredevil? For me it was Punisher. I always find it interesting when shows tempt you to cheat on the protagonist. I definitely wouldn't make a good Batman.

What Drew said about the camera I noticed too. The stairwell fight was fantastic. He kicked a guy in the shins and he went horizontal in the air lol
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I'm with Pavlov. More sustained and showy, but also felt more forced. Definitely had more of a "take a number and wait your turn" feel. "Oh, here's random biker 24". Really liked it but I think I liked the relative simplicity of Cut Man better.
    pavlovsbell
  • I'm now seeing it's a bit of a disservice to the fight scene in this episode to pit it against "Cut Man". I don't think they were going for the same thing. In "Cut Man", I think they wanted you to feel for Matt as he did everything he could to save that boy. He gave everything he had and it was barely enough. There were a couple of props, but it was mostly a straight up fight. In "New York's Finest", I felt like they wanted to show you how fucking cool Daredevil could be. It starts off with him pistol whipping a dude, pulling the trigger to show it wasn't loaded, then laughing at the thugs like "Ha, suckers", and followed immediately by Daredevil smashing the light above him. Fucking. Badass. So less heart, more cool. Apples and Oranges. 

I can also see why people thought it played like a video game. What he does is the basic idea of the Batman: Arkham ____. You string together combos without getting hit, using every piece in your arsenal. You get combo bonuses and variation bonuses.  I kinda hope someone puts together a clip where they use the fight scene and add the points as he goes. 
    Hatorian

• A more experienced, non-handicapped Daredevil, taking no prisoners.

Better than cut man for me. This is a comic book super hero, I want over the top. I thought it was quite Matrix-ie.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Russ said:

Did anyone else not find it unbelievable that Frank didn't mention anything about the fact Daredevil was blind. A guy with his, erm,.. attention to detail? would notice all day long. Only just finished episode three so whether this gets addressed I don't know.

Who's side did you favour with on the roof. Punisher or Daredevil? For me it was Punisher. I always find it interesting when shows tempt you to cheat on the protagonist. I definitely wouldn't make a good Batman.
    The Punisher is not killing criminals in self defense or to prevent the immediate death of an innocent. He has appointed himself judge, jury, and executioner, and no, I'm not comfortable with any private citizen feeling entitled to that kind of power.

I generally take the side of not killing (definitely not preemptively), although that debate is one of the most tired ones in superhero comics.  What makes Daredevil different is his Catholic faith and guilt, and that he also tries to help by providing legal aid to the indigent. I didn't find their discussion that interesting because the writing was very surface-y and clunky, but I really liked moments where the characters shone through, like when Matt asked with genuine surprise and interest if Frank went to Mass, and when Frank was charming the old man. I am extremely impressed by Bernthal in this role.

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I don't think we're supposed to see Punisher as an alternative way of doing things. His scenes are even shot like he's a horror movie monster. I really like how they're not pushing the dumb Walking Dead angle of trying to find the line where killing is acceptable and just going right for let's not murder everybody.

I thought this review of episode 2 had some good thoughts about how Punisher fits into the MCU (but way deeper than I normally want think about Marvel):

http://decider.com/2016/03/21/daredevil-recap-episode-202/
    pavlovsbell
  • edited March 2016
    Was Jim a fan of Pee Wee's Playhouse?

http://thenostalgiablog.com/2013/05/31/do-you-know-what-time-it-is-time-for-a-penny-cartoon/

Might explain the mix up :)
    chrisk
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard The Punisher was not wrong/ lying about having one round in the chamber, it's just that a revolver has a chamber for every round, the whole cylindar is a collection of chambers. Something like a Glock only has one chamber that loads the rounds into them and ejects them with every cycle. A revolver simply rotates the cylinder to the next chamber.
  • I agree that about the season 1 and 2 fight scenes, I don't really have a favorite and it's hard to say one is better than the other because it's a little too apple and oranges to compare.

With the huge debate between Punisher and Daredevil about killing/not killing, really made me think after that fight scene with the sheer number of bikers and the punishment he was dishing out, what are the odds in real life that one of these dudes would die from internal injuries/complications from surgery/etc. Matt's not trying to kill them (and they are trying to kill him for sure) so I guess he could be at peace if it happened, but still. They would probably never go with a plot point like that in the show though.
  • I officially like this season over season 1. I struggled to get through some of the first season because I've realized I'm a bit anti-daredevil...I'm quite enjoying what the punisher is bringing to the show. He's a lot more gritty and badass to me than boring ole Matt Murdock. I'm guessing Matt would have let that pedophile in the pawn shop go with a mere beating and warning.

I look forward to more of the punisher style of justice.
    Hatorian
  • ScottH said:

I agree that about the season 1 and 2 fight scenes, I don't really have a favorite and it's hard to say one is better than the other because it's a little too apple and oranges to compare.

With the huge debate between Punisher and Daredevil about killing/not killing, really made me think after that fight scene with the sheer number of bikers and the punishment he was dishing out, what are the odds in real life that one of these dudes would die from internal injuries/complications from surgery/etc. Matt's not trying to kill them (and they are trying to kill him for sure) so I guess he could be at peace if it happened, but still. They would probably never go with a plot point like that in the show though.
    That's the thing. I think this series exists in a universe where as long as you don't shoot someone's brain or behead them, people don't die from internal bleeding/brain hemorrhage/sudden shock due to intense physical injury. Now I'm not a comic reader so I have no idea whether this issue would ever come up, but even from watching the first couple of episode in season one you can see how ridiculous Matt's standards are.  
  • Tiffany said:

I officially like this season over season 1. I struggled to get through some of the first season because I've realized I'm a bit anti-daredevil...I'm quite enjoying what the punisher is bringing to the show. He's a lot more gritty and badass to me than boring ole Matt Murdock. I'm guessing Matt would have let that pedophile in the pawn shop go with a mere beating and warning.

I look forward to more of the punisher style of justice.

co-sign. 
  • Also just FYI the Raid movies are Indonesian.
  • Anyone know how they filmed this fight scene?  There's at least one instance in the stairwell where the frame rate obviously changes.