204 - "Penny and Dime"

Comments

• NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    This episode just proves how wasted Bernthal was on TWD. Holy Shit was that graveyard scene great.

Frakkin TErikpavlovsbell
  • unreadunread Australia
    There was a tiny reunion of The Pacific cast in this episode: Jon Bernthal and the guy who stabbed him in the neck with the syringe. They played marine buddies, so it was interesting to see them in these very different roles. I found it quite amusing.
    Erik
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    So I guess Nelson & Murdock are going to represent Frank now? It's a smart way to go, to take Punisher off the streets but keep him in the story. That way we can move into the main part of the story, learn more about him in the middle of the season, and unleash him in the end to kinda sorta team up with Daredevil against the Yakuza.
    Melonuskpavlovsbell
  • Uhh Matt, bruh,.....I think you could have skipped dinner.
  • That monologue was a stunning piece of acting-- Jon Bernthal took his time to let it breathe so the emotion could steep, and the little breaks in his voice, both when he was conveying joy and regret, totally killed me. 

On the other hand, I really hated the whole Karen Page, P.I. segment. Seriously, this dude almost shot you dead a few days ago and you just go off sniffing around in his house alone? Literally NO ONE would do that.
    Melonuskpavlovsbell
  • edited March 2016
    I think this episode shows the limitation that the Netflix model has as an artistic medium. In order to promote binge watching they've moved to including a cliff hangar to the end of almost every single episode. While I'm typically OK with this, for the most part, when it comes to Daredevil. I really would have loved to have this episode end after the kiss at the end, to let the series breathe for a moment. Between the graveyard scene, and the hinting in the bar that the crew was probably going to defend Frank, they had enough momentum to get me to turn to the next episode. Instead, they decided to double down even further and introduce Electra at the end of the episode. I hope over time that Netflix is able to see this slight flaw, and allow some of there more powerful episodes to end on statements, instead of ending on questions. 
    pavlovsbell
  • Frakkin T said:

So I guess Nelson & Murdock are going to represent Frank now? It's a smart way to go, to take Punisher off the streets but keep him in the story. That way we can move into the main part of the story, learn more about him in the middle of the season, and unleash him in the end to kinda sorta team up with Daredevil against the Yakuza.

If that's how it's handled, then I like it. I was afraid for a moment that Punisher was dead, straight at the episode 4! But keeping him in the story while bringing more focus on Elektra, the Hand (or the foot), and Kevin's dad from the Leftovers, that's reassuring to me for the rest of the season.

I thought the graveyard scene was great but lingered a bit too long - we knew pretty much the story at this point, albeit not in great details. Still, loved Bernthal and hope there's some good stuff left for him in the season.
    pavlovsbell
  • ErikErik Baltimore, Md
    I really liked that this episode developed of Frank further with his backstory in the graveyard and by showing us just how far he is willing to go with his "mission". No longer is he just shooting fish in a barrel, he is putting himself in harms way to get the job done. Watching the brutal interrogation seemed a bit gratuitous until we see that it was Frank's plan all along to be captured, knowing that he would be tortured, just to get an upper level baddy alone so that he can ask his own questions. It really took him from a psycho, that was entertaining to watch, to an anti hero you can feel for even if you dont agree with his methods.  
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Demic said:

That monologue was a stunning piece of acting-- Jon Bernthal took his time to let it breathe so the emotion could steep, and the little breaks in his voice, both when he was conveying joy and regret, totally killed me. 

On the other hand, I really hated the whole Karen Page, P.I. segment. Seriously, this dude almost shot you dead a few days ago and you just go off sniffing around in his house alone? Literally NO ONE would do that.
    I didn't understand what the hell Karen was thinking. Let me take a cab to this house by myself and poke around as slowly as possible and sit down and read this children's book as as if I have all the time in the world. I can't deal with Woll's tremble-quiver acting which was at an all time high in the rain scene. I thought she orgasmed when Matt touched her arm. At least she wasn't Smurfette blue like in the movie, so that was a plus.

The rest of the episode was also a study in excess. The torture was too much with the drill, the monologue went on forever, I'm fairly certain that Bernthal chose to stare into the middle distance the entire time because every time the camera cut to Matt, I couldn't help but laugh. Here is Bernthal pouring his heart out, and Cox is trying to emote along with him (even crying), but he's wearing that ridiculous red mask and devil horns and red reflective eyes. Or maybe I'm an awful person for finding it unintentionally funny.
    Melonusk
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    I was really surprised that A. Ron and Jim weren't really getting the feels on the graveyard scene. A. Ron, I thought you especially would have enjoyed that scene. It had me misting over when he was talking about arriving at his kid's school, and the teacher was filming it, and all the kids were crying and applauding. We all know those videos well.

I think it was the second-best episode so far. I was surprised you guys felt that this episode was the weakest.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2016

@Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard if you really want to pitch the ad free feed as a benefit for club users, you're going to have to make your ads WAY more boring. You guys have been on a roll with your club ads for the last couple of episodes. I've literally laughed out loud in my car (good, solid laughs) during the last two of them on Daredevil. I don't want to skip them. I look forward to them.

unread
    edited March 2016
    I agree with Travis. Even though I am a Premium Member, I don't mind the "ads" at all. I say ads in the loosest terms because I used to work in "real" advertising, and what the guys do is nowhere near as awful as what I had to do.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Show us on the doll where Don Draper touched you, Hollyoak.
    unreadpavlovsbellReniBourbonQueen
    lol

Show us on the doll where Don Draper touched you, Hollyoak.

• I really enjoyed this episode and listened to the pod almost certain that my point of view would be endorsed by our hosts.  I am now very sad
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

I think this episode shows the limitation that the Netflix model has as an artistic medium. In order to promote binge watching they've moved to including a cliff hangar to the end of almost every single episode. While I'm typically OK with this, for the most part, when it comes to Daredevil. I really would have loved to have this episode end after the kiss at the end, to let the series breathe for a moment. Between the graveyard scene, and the hinting in the bar that the crew was probably going to defend Frank, they had enough momentum to get me to turn to the next episode. Instead, they decided to double down even further and introduce Electra at the end of the episode. I hope over time that Netflix is able to see this slight flaw, and allow some of there more powerful episodes to end on statements, instead of ending on questions. 

I think this is really true. The structure of this season is different in ways from the first. In the first they seemed much more confident in having certain episodes that just focused as a character study but somehow didn't make the momentum feel too side-lined to be a distraction from the season as a whole. I am thinking of Cut Man, Stick, and Shadows in the Glass.

Its almost like the new show-runner assumed that everyone would just be binging the season (not a crazy assumption to make based on the culture) but it really has created some less-than-stellar moments. If you have a cliffhanger at the end of every episode the audience's bullshit meter goes off.

They can start to tell that when things are going well--it won't be that way for long and begin to predict what will come next. And that anticipation kills the surprise of the cliffhanger. Anyway. I am into episode 8 right now, but this is an issue that I hope gets resolved, because it is doing the creative team and actors a disservice.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Matt and Foggy did have a conversation about Matt and what could been seen as "Elektra" in the first season.  It's when Foggy says he doesn't know how Matt ends up with such hot women or how Matt knows they're hot.  Foggy then refers to this smoking "hot" Grecian woman Matt dated in college.

So, they did mention her without being overly obvious about it.