205 - "Kinbaku"

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I like the idea of Reyes planning to use Punisher's conviction as a springboard to run for office on an anti-vigilante platform. It foreshadows the central conflict of Civil War.
    BrawnMelonuskpavlovsbell
  • So for Matt, a perfect night can't end with sex? That's weird.

Not sure yet how I feel about Elektra; I did like the moment in the mansion when they both realized they were not looking for the same thing. Matt was incline to follow her but not to the point of killing people, and also probably realized just how manipulative Elektra had been with him - while Elektra just didn't give a f*ck about the consequences, and probably would have been happy with a life à la Bonnie and Clyde.

Why hasn't Matt Murdock been chased down by this dude who's getting his face look like a hat full of buttholes? Did he get a concussion and completely forgot about all this?

Also you guys talked about Daredevil imitating Nolan's Batman, well here they continued with a very TDK-like outro music.
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I liked this episode. Its brighter colors, glamorous settings, and romance make it feel like a palate cleanser after the relentless grim violence of the Punisher episodes, but I think we're just seeing another facet of temptation for Matt -- tempting the devil, that's potentially interesting if they develop it well.

One thing that makes me uneasy is the show setting up a madonna/whore, good girl/bad girl trope with Elektra and Karen. I hope the show doesn't go down that sexist road. Karen has her own dark secrets and moral ambiguity, but Matt is unaware of that, so for now he seems to be pursuing her because she represents his moral and justice-minded aspirations. This makes sense after Frank challenged Matt's morality, and now Elektra seems to be picking up where Frank left off, but I'm wary of Matt keeping Karen up on a pedestal.  I don't ship them, but I totally empathize with him as far as their date went. High-end dining can be sublime, but I too am ultimately more comfortable in tacky places like the Indian joint they ended up in. Yes, it's an actual restaurant in what is dubbed Curry Row or Little India in the East Village. The restaurants there seem to be in competition for who can have the most chili pepper lights, and there is a running joke that they all share the same mediocre kitchen, but its one of those inexpensive, quintessential NYC experiences. 

I really liked how Matt was enjoying that first date high safe in a little bubble -- who doesn't know that feeling? I don't blame him for wanting to hold on to that -- and then the sounds of the city gradually intruded until they overwhelmed him. Impressive marriage of sound and camera work to show you can't trade reality for a fairy tale. I initially didn't know what to make of Elektra as a spoiled rich girl gone bad, but clearly there is more to her than that, and Élodie Yung is impressive so far. Elektra's reaction to Matt punching Roscoe Sweeney was disturbing, and Yung and Cox have serious chemistry. Elektra's presence means ninja action, so it will be nice to get back to more acrobatic, martial arts stunt work after the brutal punch and gun violence of the Punisher arc.

@Melonusk I rewound that scene a few times, and there is a noise that sounds like a neck snap, and Roscoe's head is tilted when the camera cuts back to him. Based on his threats and his awareness of Matt's identity, I'm presuming that she did kill him, but the show could have made that more obvious.
    Melonusk
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Melonusk said:

So for Matt, a perfect night can't end with sex? That's weird.

I think I float this theory in the podcast for 206 (which isn't released yet), but I'm wondering if he's worried about the freaky scars all over his body, and how he'll square that with Karen without telling her about his nocturnal activities.  Especially with her being kind of quasi-anti-daredevil in the early goings of this season...  
    Melonusk
    I have a question for @A_Ron_Hubbard & @Jim (and anyone else, for that matter):  Hell's Kitchen is supposed to function as a character in these Netflix shows. Do you have a strong sense of the neighborhood that Matt feels so connected to and that the Defenders will ultimately unite to protect?
  • Melonusk said:

So for Matt, a perfect night can't end with sex? That's weird.

I think I float this theory in the podcast for 206 (which isn't released yet), but I'm wondering if he's worried about the freaky scars all over his body, and how he'll square that with Karen without telling her about his nocturnal activities.  Especially with her being kind of quasi-anti-daredevil in the early goings of this season...  
    I like that theory. On the same Karen-Matt subject, it looks like they forgot that Karen thinks he has a drinking problem; As Jim mentioned earlier, he just drinks without her looking strange or trying to preventing him.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    There is a lot of drinking on this show. Like...a lot. Or maybe I just notice it more because I am a lush.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

I have a question for @A_Ron_Hubbard & @Jim (and anyone else, for that matter):  Hell's Kitchen is supposed to function as a character in these Netflix shows. Do you have a strong sense of the neighborhood that Matt feels so connected to and that the Defenders will ultimately unite to protect?

Depends what you mean by strong sense. If you mean geography, no, I have no idea what makes Hells Kitchen different from the rest of NYC. But if you mean a sensibility and vibe, then I guess I do. Hells Kitchen is a silent majority of blue collar citizens who may be gruff and / or ignorant and yet possess a strong moral core and surprising decency and tolerance but are betrayed by criminal predation and civic corruption that are an inescapable part of their lives. The meta humans from hells kitchen uniquely understand this rock and a hard place existence and thus want to fight to upend the status quo. Even Kingpin, I think, wants to do the right thing in a Pablo Escobar sort of way, because of his experience growing up in the Kitchen.
    pavlovsbell
    Yes, I mean the community of Hell's Kitchen. Daredevil is different because he's driven to protect a neighborhood and not an entire city like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, etc. When S1 introduced us to Josie's, Fogwell's Gym, and Mrs. Cardena, I thought, "Oh cool, Hell's Kitchen is going to be a thing, like Cicely (Northern Exposure), or Twin Peaks, Deadwood, etc." The setting comes alive not just via locations but perhaps more through characters. Instead of expanding the world building in S2, it feels like the world has become smaller and Hell's Kitchen is a rather anonymous assortment of warehouses, buildings, and streets. But that could just be me. I've lived in four neighborhoods in NY, and they have each been distinctly different from each other, and it's something you pick up really quickly. You frequent the same corner bodega, laundromat, bars, restaurants, unless you're in the 1% and can go wherever the hell you want to go. I was curious what a non-New Yorker thinks of the Hell's Kitchen that the show talks about so much.  
  • I have a question for @A_Ron_Hubbard & @Jim (and anyone else, for that matter):  Hell's Kitchen is supposed to function as a character in these Netflix shows. Do you have a strong sense of the neighborhood that Matt feels so connected to and that the Defenders will ultimately unite to protect?

Hmm, for me, Hells Kitchen hasn't reached that level of presence on the show. So far Hells Kitchen is portrayed as a typical Fictional crime filled setting. More work will have to be done for the neighborhood to reach the same sense of place I got from The Wire's portrayal of Baltimore.

pavlovsbell
  • edited March 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Believe me, I felt the same vibe from Elektra, and being that my name happens to be Matthew...Elodie Yung is strikingly beautiful to begin with, but that voice is so disarming.
    Also, wasn't Matt trying to keep Karen from seeing how bruised and battered he was? Unless we missed a dick bite from some mulleted mobster, I don't think it was a penis concern.
    EDIT: Didn't check your earlier comment. But thinking of a Eugene assault on Daredevil made me laugh quite a bit.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard I think you've mentioned in a couple podcasts about the history of Elektra and wondered why she wasn't mentioned before. She was briefly in season one. There was a flashback, I believe at their law school graduation. Foggy did say something about a Greek girl. Not a lot, but definitely a hint to those who know DD that Elektra is in this universe. 

Also, you mentioned the Deathlok teaser in the episode and how it might appear later. It already has. Deathlok has shown up a couple times in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It was disappointing. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 2016
    I don't care how ultra gritty "Hell's Kitchen" is in this world. Even if a bunch of dog murderers shot it out with a bunch of child rapists in mid day in Central fricking Park, good riddance to bad rubbish and all, that's front page news everywhere. Pretty silly.