208 - "Guilty as Sin"

Comments

• edited March 2016
    It's amazing how much the peripheral characters shine in opposition to our lead roles. Matt's courtroom speech is completely over shadowed by the powerful performance by Bernthal. Not only with his out burst at the end, but his facial expressions on the stand, is so perfect for his character, that it's the only thing I can focus on. Stick's constant exasperation with Matt, perfectly sums up my feelings for Charlie Cox as an actor, and how Matt Murdock has been written for most of this show. 
    Melonusk
  • No comments on this episode, really? Man I really enjoyed this one. Didn't see Wislon Fisk coming but it actually makes some kind of sense in retrospect. I'm always happy to see more Bernthal, that performance in the courtroom was amazing. Just catching up on Season 2 of TWD so seeing a whole lot of him lately.

@Shaze4Days I don't really have a problem with Charlie Cox usually, but here I think this showed perfectly how unprepared he was to face Frank Castle, as he hardly focused his time to work on the case. Usually I find his speeches to be pretty well acted and on point.
  • Melonusk said:

No comments on this episode, really? Man I really enjoyed this one. Didn't see Wislon Fisk coming but it actually makes some kind of sense in retrospect. I'm always happy to see more Bernthal, that performance in the courtroom was amazing. Just catching up on Season 2 of TWD so seeing a whole lot of him lately.

@Shaze4Days I don't really have a problem with Charlie Cox usually, but here I think this showed perfectly how unprepared he was to face Frank Castle, as he hardly focused his time to work on the case. Usually I find his speeches to be pretty well acted and on point.

I like your theory that Matt was unprepared to face Frank, and that gives the impression that Bernthal is completely out acting Cox. Never thought of it that way.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I also like that theory about the court scene. I didn't think Cox did a poor job initially. But I did think, initially, the writing was subpar for that scene. After reading posts here I am pretty convinced it was intended to be like that. I thought it showed Matt's lack of involvement in the case or being burned out at both ends (depending on how charitable you are with Murdock.

It was a sly moment where Frank (despite just being allowed to go balls-out due to the guard's whispers) was able to sense the bullshit from Matt. He put up with it from Foggy in the opening statement--most likely due to Foggy's consistent involvement in the case, despite Nelson's own misgivings.

But Castle seems to hate games in general. So to have Matt come in, pretend like he has been involved and invested; then try to smooth everything over with the jury, and then finally paint Frank as an utter victim? it was too much to handle. Its actually a really nuanced scene. Pretty great.
    MelonuskAshley
  • Just finished listening to the podcast for episode 6, where Jim and Aron wondered if Daredevil's radar sense was granular enough to detect tape on the floor. Having already watched episode 8, their debate made me wonder: does this version of Daredevil actually have radar sense? If he did, the Hand ninjas in this episode being completely silent would not have fazed him at all. Instead, because he can't hear their heartbeats, Matt says he can't pinpoint their locations.

Thinking back on it, I don't think the show has ever said or implied he has radar sense as we know it from the comic. In episode 5 of season 1, Matt describes what he sees as an amalgamation of inputs from his other senses, and never mentions a separate radar sense. In episode 7 when Matt is being trained by Stick, Matt says he can sense where things are and when they move, but his sense of hearing and touch could account for that. And the World On Fire portrayal of his perception is definitely not the 360 degree 3D image of his surrounding that I assumed he had.

All this leads me to believe that Netflix's Daredevil doesn't have comic book canon radar sense. He places combatant locations by the proximity of their heartbeats, and detects their attacks from the changes in the air that they cause. But then how is he able to zip around rooms he's never been in before? I dunno.