[OFFICIAL] The Godfather Part II

I had a ton of fun recording this podcast. What are everyone's thoughts on the podcast and the movie itself?

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    You guys definitely need to do a Godfather Part III instant cast. A lot of questions are answered; albeit not necessarily to satisfaction. Also, as much as 3 is the black sheep of the series, it does at least tie up Michael Corleone's story. Just prepare yourself for a whole lot of "caricature of himself" Al Pacino.

Not a knock by any means by the way, the podcast is some of you guys' best work.
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited December 2014
    I loved part two of this cast. I felt The Godfather part 1, as a movie is more perfectly formed and for me why I slightly prefer it, the story is so rich & deep that the kind of 'thriller' aspect part 2 uses isn't entirely needed i think, that's probably the worse thing I can say about it, and why i'd agree that The Godfather part 1 has a bit more heart.

I really liked the point you made about the two films kind of reinforcing each other. The cultural stuff you addressed, and the major themes like the father/son- Vito/Michael relationship etc..

Most of all though for me it came across that alot of work and time has gone into this cast, all the the extra background knowledge from the research, made it really interesting & informative combined with a clear passion for the topic. Especially having not long finished the Speakeasy/Boardwalk final season & cast, it linked in with a lot of the Mo Green-Bugsy, Hyman Roth - Meyer Lansky background

I had the Coppola restoration blu rays delivered yesterday afternoon so i watched The Godfather last night, following up with Part 2 tonight, so glad this podcast gave me the excuse to watch in this form it's the best way to see the films, So thankyou so much for the restoration rec and for doing the cast.. somehow you guy mananged to make me love The Godfather 1&2 even more
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, the blurays look jaw dropping. Just a great restoration all around, and the commentary tracks are just the icing on the cake.
  • Well as usual, you guys gave us yet another highly amusing and impressive podcast.

I love the idea of instant casting Part III. That sounds like a lot of fun. Then you can do the full cast for next Christmas, which would be the 25th anniversary of Part III (released right on Christmas Day of 1990). Just beware of Sofia Coppola.

I view the Parts I vs. II debate as that they are equally great, for all of the reasons you cited in the cast.

One of the more amusing discussions you had was the Al Neri vs. Luca Brasi debate. I personally would prefer Al Neri. While he's probably not as ruthless and blindly loyal as Brasi, I'd want that thinking capability by my side to help with plotting out my strategies. Plus, having that book knowledge of Brasi makes me very distrustful of him. I don't know if I could trust someone like that no matter how loyal he is.
  • I think the blurays give you atleast 30% more movie, so much of the scenery just blends in the dark spectrum in any less quality. They're £20 on UK Amazon which for a bluray trilogy special edition set is an utter steal, I couldn't endorse A.ron's recommendation to get them more!

Also i'm an Al Neri man too but that's because we get see all the cool bad ass shit Neri does, in the films Luca Brasi's badassery is all anecdotal, all we see is him giving the awkward speech & getting whacked. The book elaborates on both these characters a lot more.. where I would still want Neri as my man
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The Godfather, both parts I and II, are near the top of my list (if I had such a list) of my all-time favorite films. I'm waiting for the blu-ray restoration to arrive before listening to the podcasts. Thank you for reminding me; they've been sitting in my cart forever. I'm still going to skip the third one. It's a disappointing mess and thoroughly unnecessary, imo.

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited December 2014
    @pavlovsbell‌ I should have done it that way round but i've seen the films so many times, I figured just go with it. Ideal way to experience this is on bluray then with your first listen to podcast straight after.

Yeh the 3rd is comparatively garbage, which is a shame becuase I love the ambition of it, pope election plot etc

• Great Podcast, I just listened to this and to the Godfather  Podcast as well.     Just finished it yesterday and saw this article about 'Superman' the Live Sex Show performer referenced by Fredo in the Movie, and thought folks might find it interesting.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Don't leave us hanging on that article, man!
  • Sorry, A-Ron, I thought I had pasted it in......thank you for the Xmas Card, I loved it, especially the reference to Havana Nocturne and my Chinese Characters....

• I paste the link in, but when I go to post, it deletes it.....I took out the http....does the forum not allow links?

• edited December 2015
    ok, looks like it worked.....enjoy the article.....one thing you kind of read between the lines is that Cuba has all these people who were really successful before the Revolution, and then have languished since then.     One thing that you read about Havana is how Opulent and Decadent it was, but now it is just a 'living ruin' / 'shadow' of its former self.   I did 3 trips starting in 2009, and it is amazing, but also really sad and horrible to see what the Castro Brothers have done to that country.

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited January 2016
    I rewatched 1 and 2 after listening to the podcast for 3, and then the podcasts for both of those. 

Really enjoyed them both (been a long time), though I downloaded 1 and 2 and there were no Italian subtitles for either. For part 1 that was interesting, but as I got through part 2 it started becoming a problem. Still kind of a fun exercise though, seeing how much I could pick up and it's fairly obvious especially if you can pick up a word here and there. 

Have to say though, re: Pacino, not all his late career stuff is that Scent of a Woman character. If you all haven't seen Glengarry Glen Ross, I'm mighty tempted to commission that. He's outstanding, as is everyone. Probably a top ten movie for me. Heat is also after that, and as I recall he's fairly understated there. Carlito's Way and Donnie Brasco are both respectable entries in the gangster genre. Really the only thing I've seen post-Scent of a Woman (and I like him there too) where he hams it up is The Devil's Advocate. I've only seen parts of that because it just doesn't look very good.