206 - "Bali Ha'i"

Director: Michael Slovis
Writer: Gennifer Hutchison

Comments

• brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    :37 minutes in, great episode so far.

The carbon paper under the welcome mat was great.
    BourbonQueenksa1001
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    edited March 2016
    Not liking Kim leading the gambit. I think she grabbed he wrong mark. Not the kind of guy jimmy would target.

EDIT: misread that scene.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Not a fan of how the Cousins were thrown in. This seemed like the forced cameo that was inevitable. 
    Fun fact: I bought the University of American Samoa sweater last week. Wearing it tonight and every Monday from here on out. 

AntManBee

• Yeah, I've had no problems with any of the Breaking Bad cameos this season. But, the cousins were just too much.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I liked they way the cousins were introduced. It's rare you see Mike thrown off guard and just generally terrified.
    TheEconomist
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2016
    I was thinking the same thing about the cousins. It seems unnecessary to the story, unless they continue to play a role. It does, however, add a new dimension to Mike killing the one in the hospital in BrBa.

Was Howard seriously giving Kim the silent treatment? The silent treatment. A grown man, an employer giving his employee / colleague the silent treatment at the workplace. I can't even.
    broompersonhypergenesbAntManBeeksa1001Mike Snow
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • I think this episode will single-handedly spike the sales of carbon paper.  Really cool trick, if that's legit.  I also really liked almost entire sequences playing without dialogue.  Mike searching his apartment didn't even have score, which made it all the more effective.
    UnderwoodDale the LookoutMike Snow
  • The cousins appearance actually makes something that happened in Breaking Bad a lot more plausible. I always thought it was a stretch that Mike saw the cousins enter Walt's house and less than five minutes later they get a text calling them off. Now we know he had seen them before and knew who they were.

Also, gotta love the Royals t-shirt. Go Royals!
    DummykojiattwoodAntManBeeksa1001Melonusk
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    it is inevitable that characters from breaking bad continue to get introduced. From what we know of the Cousins, them standing there on the building doing finger guns at Kaylee and Mike is totally straight out of their handbook. I love the cameos because it's more breaking bad, more backstory and i trust Gilligan n company to not fuck it up and to keep the continuity. 

oh and mike was badass this episode and fuck that cup holder.
    AntManBeeksa1001elgat0
    I'm an International Assassin.
  • edited March 2016
    Rhea Seehorn is doing some good work. Great casting and performance. She was on The BCS insider podcast last week and you could tell she's very passionate about the craft and puts a lot effort into every detail of her performance.

It's just cool to see a show created by people who actually care about the their product. Watching this show after a certain other AMC show really puts it into perspective.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands

Yeah, I've had no problems with any of the Breaking Bad cameos this season. But, the cousins were just too much.

But it makes sense for them to be there and begins to add another level of intrigue to the hospital scene with mike killing the cousin. 
    I'm an International Assassin.
  • I don't see an issue with the Cousins being there. Hector thought he could muscle Mike with the low levels dudes he had. When Mike proved that wasn't going to work, he brought in some hitters. We know how tough those guys are since we've seen BB, but even if you haven't, those guys looked pretty intimidating standing on the roof making finger guns at Kaley. We also know how much the Cousins value Tuco, since they showed up at Abq for vengence. Makes sense they would also show up to get Tuco out of jail. 
    UnderwoodTheEconomist
  • edited March 2016
    Part of me didn't quite understand Mike's end game.  Was he just going for 50k the whole time?  Personally, I think not.  But he had to know that when he told the low level guy to tell Hector no and then he chased off the 2 guys and basically told them to go back to their boss and tell him no again, that Hector was going to keep coming back until Mike was either dead or said yes.  I just don't see how Mike thought this was going to play out (and Mike is clearly no fool).
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    GredalBee said:

I think this episode will single-handedly spike the sales of carbon paper.  Really cool trick, if that's legit.  I also really liked almost entire sequences playing without dialogue.  Mike searching his apartment didn't even have score, which made it all the more effective.

I was thinking that too while watching. Shows like the walking dead, always have scores ( usually pretty good ones ) during a scene similar to that, but the dead silence was so cool.
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • Part of me didn't quite understand Mike's end game.  Was he just going for 50k the whole time?  Personally, I think not.  But he had to know that when he told the low level guy to tell Hector no and then he chased off the 2 guys and basically told them to go back to their boss and tell him no again, that Hector was going to keep coming back until Mike was either dead or said yes.  I just don't see how Mike thought this was going to play out (and Mike is clearly no fool).

Agree Mike had to know that he couldn't end the pressure just by saying no. Possible he figured that just doing as told for 5k without pushing back would result in him bent seen as weak and therefore easy to take more advantage of. The way he played it, he let them know he had "big balls" as Hector put it, hence potentially protecting himself, his daughter-in-law and Kaylee more in the future.
  • Anyone else involuntarily scream out, "RIIIITTTCHIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" at the two minute mark?
  • I have no problem with the cameos and would much rather see characters I enjoyed in BB rather than some randos I don't know or care about. I think it was pretty obvious that the cousins would be introduced after Hector. Maybe doing it the next episode was a bit early but I'd much rather have a plot line with the cousins hassling mike rather than the two bums we got at the beginning of the episode.
    kojiattwoodUnderwood
    No Half Measures....
  • I am continually amazed at how much these actors convey without a single word of dialogue. Odenkirk, Seehorn and Banks all had extended moments where facial expressions and a few subtle reactions nearly gave us everything we needed from the scene.
    kojiattwoodpavlovsbell
  • People seem to be complaining a lot about the cameos, but to me it would be weird if they weren't there. This is Albuquerque circa the early 2000s. A city of less than half a million. It would be weird if the people working in the underworld there were NOT connected to each other. The cameos would have been out of place if it was Marie being Chuck's radiologist (or whatever she did). But Tuco running the underworld there makes sense.
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure what Mike's plan is. He knew from the start that by making this a legal move against Tuco that he would come to the attention of the cartel. Hector has to suspect that Mike set up Tuco, right? But Mike is would never rat out Nacho, so...

• Could it be that Saul Goodma'am has been created? It would be such an interesting twist if The Downfall ends up being that Kim screws over Jimmy to further her own ambitions.
  • ...and fuck that cup holder.

Sure does look like Jimmy has made his choice. Kim comes first and he's going to try to make that relationship work– even if it takes a tire iron.
  • Dale the LookoutDale the Lookout Akron, Ohio
    edited March 2016
    GredalBee said:

I think this episode will single-handedly spike the sales of carbon paper.  Really cool trick, if that's legit. 

For anyone who has a reason to be watching their back, $20 for 100 sheets at Staples. I love low tech solutions. I just can't image Mike with a wireless nanny cam. He's old school carbon paper all the way.

EDIT: Sorry, Bald Move. $5.59 for 25 sheets at Amazon. Free one day shipping with Prime. Of course, use the Bald Move link first...
    JamesUnderwood
  • JamesJames southern California
    To the extent that we are seeing the origin story of Mike Ehrmentraut, it is going to involve Albuquerque's criminal underworld which, in the BrBa universe, is infested with the Mexican cartel and the Salamanca family. Call it fan service if you want, but Hector was inevitably going to have Leonel and Marco nearby (and we know from Breaking Bad, their MOE often includes leading with no-name thugs who are rather easily dispatched by Mike).

Hector has clearly looked into Mike's background, the way Mike checked out Nacho and Tuco last season. At this point he knows that Mike is formidable -- he has to know that the fight with Tuco was a set-up, right? Especially after the confrontation last night. So aside from getting Tuco's sentence reduced, are we to imagine he's looking around to see who in town would be willing to hire someone to set his nephew up?
    TheEconomistDale the Lookout
    edited March 2016
    Listening to the Insider Podcast, and they're talking about the Jimmy insomnia scene, set to one of my very favorite pop-era instrumental pieces, Sleepwalk (originally by Santo & Johnny) re-interpreted especially for this episode by friend-of-the-show Junior Brown.
  • If I'm remembering correctly, Mike ends up working for Gus.  Gus is in business with the Salamancas.  Gus has had a meeting with the Cousins (in that trailer in the .  Was Mike never there for those meetings in BrBa?  At least wouldn't they be in the know as to who was Gus' right hand man was?

I would think that they would know right away that Mike wanted or tried to get Tuco in jail and wasn't this "innocent" civilian that he's portraying now.
  • James said:

Listening to the Insider Podcast, and they're talking about the Jimmy insomnia scene, set to one of my very favorite pop-era instrumental pieces, Sleepwalk (originally by Santo & Johnny) re-interpreted especially for this episode by friend-of-the-show Junior Brown.

No one got my La Bamba reference :(
    James
    @BourbonQueen I don't think Mike was present at any of the meetings between Gus and The Cousins. IIRC, Gus met with everyone alone, and it wasn't until war was declared that Gus had security present. He was surveilling Walter though and apprised Gus of The Cousins' movements. Now I wonder if it was Mike who made the phone call to Hank in "One Minute."
  • I am eager to hear Jim's take on this one, with these new cameos. Initially I personally thought it felt a bit forced and too fast in the series. I'm actually ok with it now, it does make sense that they appear just after the aborted first intimidation attempt. It's becoming a harder than expected situation for Tio to resolve, so he's calling the big guns he already trusts and that actually would care about Tuco.

Rhea Seehorn is nailing it this season, I'm loving her silent reactions to singing-Jimmy and the lawyer whose name is to hard to write. Also, loved that change of expression of Howard from neutral/pissed-off to all-smiles just before meeting the clients.

Other than that the soundtrack is great, once again. For those wondering, that music as Kim and Jimmy go their separate ways is The Bombay Royale "Henna Henna".

If I'm remembering correctly, Mike ends up working for Gus.  Gus is in business with the Salamancas.  Gus has had a meeting with the Cousins (in that trailer in the .  Was Mike never there for those meetings in BrBa?  At least wouldn't they be in the know as to who was Gus' right hand man was?

I would think that they would know right away that Mike wanted or tried to get Tuco in jail and wasn't this "innocent" civilian that he's portraying now.
    Whatever the Salamancas knew about Mike in breaking Bad doesn't apply here. Presumably this was the first time and place these people had encountered each other, besides doing their research. When Tuco is arrested for beating an old guy up, I'm sure that triggers alarms for Hector, but he knows that his nephew is not a low-key guy. Mike being an ex-cop arouses suspicion as well -- but when he beats the crap out of the underlings and demands 50 K Hector's gotta know that Mike's for hire.

It seems like the veterinarian is the link here since he knows Mike and he a least knows of Nacho -- otherwise how does Mike know who to do research on in the first drug meet-up last season? I think Nacho's in trouble, and the cartel has no reason not to come after Mike -- unless he lands a job as head of security for someone who has cartel connections.
    TheEconomist