Board Games

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited March 2016 in General
Was listening to one of the LWJaA and board games came up. Made me want to start a post on what the BM community plays/recommends.

Here are a few I recommend.

1. Euro Rails. It's a European game where the goal is to link European cities with your rail lines and the goal is to transport specific resources across the continent based on the cards you draw. Very fun game. There is also a American Rails version as well that takes place on the North Americsn continent. Very fun game.

2. Druken Risk: risk where you have to take a shot or drink for every battle you lose. Be warned the game usually ends with Ukraine is weak! "Board flipped" haha

3. Settlers of Catan and all the expansions

4. Axis and Allies: usually requires serious players otherwise the game rarely finished

Feel free to add or recommend others.
TravisTaraC73MichaelGDaveyMacMichelleTheEconomisttrippy

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2016

I typically like the simpler stuff. I'm a big fan of Balderdash (particularly with a steady flow of booze to liven it).

Cards, not technically a board game, but I've been pretty psyched about the prospects of getting an Illuminati game together. I've only played it once when I was a teenager, but I saw it in a game store a little ways back and remembered having a total blast with it when we did.

HatorianDaveyMacMichelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I've played 50+ games of Axis and Allies.  It's great.  The only problem is once you've played it that many times, it reveals itself as a pretty shallow game that's only really winnable in a few ways.  It really sucks if you play it as five players, as several of the nations are in clear back seat roles.  It's most fun as a 2 player game, I find, but I have many fond memories of 5+ hour sessions from my youth. Risk is the same way, god I played that so many times and had so much fun with it or it's variants, but never, ever want to play it again. 

Carcasonne is great, and it's a great "first game" to get, too.  Plays well from 2 to 4 players.  Very simple, but deep. 

Agricola is a bit intimidating to get into, but once you master the setup, it's so much fun, and soooo re-playable.  Probably my favorite single game right now, and it's great from 1-5 players. The way the board scales with player #s is ingenious.

Flashpoint Fire Rescue is great, and has family rules I can play with my nine year old, AND it's brutally hard and challenging in the full game, and it's co-op, which is fun.  Pandemic is another nice co-op game.

The most fun co-op/betrayal game is Battlestar Galactica.  It's spawned genuine fights and hurt feelings among my gaming group.  Then there was that one time I played Diplomacy... haha.
    HatorianTravisDaveyMac
  • If you haven't played or heard of Euro Rails I highly recommend checking it out. It's ton of fun and it's not too hard to pick up but the strategy is really deep. It's a very unique board game as you build your railways using erasable crayons and there's really no way to play the game the same way given the cards completely change the cities and resources you need to get. Plus there's a bit of an RpG element where you can upgrade your train that allows you to carry more goods and move faster but it's not just a no brainer decision.
  • Also on the Axis and Allies piece there are fan made edits which are really fun. Where they have different wars. Like Russia and Japan siding together or the US and Germany, etc. Just have to look them up online but they do help change the game from the standard and make things more interesting. Just have to sift through the crappy ones.
    Oh yeah, there are a bunch of different variants, some I've tried where you actually alter the board to re-balance the game and try other times in the war, tons of different house rules, some work better than others. 
    Hatorian
  • My wife and I have been playing the lighter version of Agricola, called Creatures Big and Small (2 players only).  We've had a lot of fun with it, and I think it has taught us the basic gameplay mechanics of the more in-depth Agricola, which we're looking forward to playing on a dedicated evening with more people. 

We also have the Star Trek version of Catan, which actually disappointed me. The gameplay is essentially the same, but the renamed resources aren't as intuitive, the cards themselves feel cheap, and the game pieces aren't as aesthetically pleasing. 

We've also been getting more into regular ole card games. I've been introducing the midwest's own Euchre to a lot of friends out here, and everyone loves it.  My absolute favorite game for a group of four just relaxing and drinking beer. It has a couple tricky mechanics, but it's fairly easy to pick up, fast paced, but also deceptively nuanced strategy-wise. 
    DaveyMacHatorian
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited March 2016
    One that I've been contemplating picking up for me and my wife to play is "Lost Cities" as I've heard that's really good for two players. 

I absolutely love board games, but so rarely have a chance to meet up with a group of people to play with. Are there any other two-player games that people would recommend that I could play with my wife? She is very competitive, but she's not all that into war, fantasy, or sci-fi themes.

I like Catan, but has anyone tried Catan Rivals? I think that one is just for two players.

Oh and Euchre is great. My family is obsessed with that game and have tournaments all the time. I get to join every time I'm back in the States.
    TravisMichaelG
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Drunk Monopoly. Rent is paid with its value in shots. If you land on Boardwalk with a hotel on it, you're just screwed. lol
    HatorianTravis
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    You will regret opening this thread, I'm a huge board game fanatic. I've got tons of them, and I will say that while some of them are more in-depth than someone who is used to "simpler" board games like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit may normally be interested in, if you have someone who can read the rules and explain them (or has played the games before) anybody can have fun with pretty much any board game.

A quick list of my shelves:

Card Games:
    Smashup!
    Lunch Money
    Munchkin (original set + expansions)
    Gloom
    Cards Against Humanity
    Get Bit!

Board Games:
    Shadows Of Brimstone - Kickstarter backed
    Zombicide: Black Plague - Kickstarter backed
    Last Night On Earth + expansions
    Castle Panic (Munchkin edition)
    Pandemic + two expansions
    Arkham Horror
    Zombie Dice
    Wits & Wagers
    Monster Fluxx
    King Of Tokyo
    Forbidden Island
    Lords of Waterdeep
    Betrayal at House On The Hill
    Qwirkle
    Munchkin Deluxe
    Dungeons and Dragons - Castle Ravenfell
    Dungeons and Dragons - Wrath of Ashardalon
    Dungeon Roll

Zombicide is my current favorite, and I would highly recommend either the modern-setting Zombicide or the new, medieval Zombicide: Black Plague to anybody who is a fan of ANYTHING to do with zombies. Roam the board with your survivors as a cooperative team (which can support a huge number of players; I think 12 is the top) completing objectives, gathering weapons and gear, and killing a bazillion zombies which spawn on the board and are controlled by cards and straight-forward rules so that nobody's playing the "bad guy." There's a lot of co-op strategy to it, and even times when you might need to sacrifice a player to the zombies because you need to keep them back to let everybody else reach the escape point. There are multiple types of zombies to deal with, and you can't just sit back and shoot them because the weakest zombies die to shooting before the stronger ones.

@A_Ron_Hubbard I think you'd like the game a lot, and I honestly believe it could make for a really fun stream (Premium or otherwise) sometime.

HatorianTravis
  • That's a lot of games. Surprised to see no one has played EuroRails or Empire Builder. It's seriously good fun.

On Dungeons and Dragons I can't even count the hours spent on that during high school. So much fun and such a Creative outlet for friends to have a good time. But I will say unless you have a good master the experience can be pretty lame. My dad was actually always against D&D. He heard a story about some kid who killed his parents and the media somehow attributed it to his obsession with D&D. Compared to the things a teenager in my town could get into D&D was absolutely harmless and safe.
    Travis
  • Someone needs to figure out how to link VR with dungeons and Dragons. Couple be a billion dollar idea there.
    Travis
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Hatorian said:

That's a lot of games. Surprised to see no one has played EuroRails or Empire Builder. It's seriously good fun.

On Dungeons and Dragons I can't even count the hours spent on that during high school. So much fun and such a Creative outlet for friends to have a good time. But I will say unless you have a good master the experience can be pretty lame. My dad was actually always against D&D. He heard a story about some kid who killed his parents and the media somehow attributed it to his obsession with D&D. Compared to the things a teenager in my town could get into D&D was absolutely harmless and safe.

Yeah, I'm currently starting with my second D&D gaming group; the DM definitely can make or break the experience. The games I listed here, though, are board games; you pick from a few specific characters, select from several cards of special abilities, and work together against the game itself. The nice thing is that you're not reliant on someone to tell the story, run the monsters, etc, and can just focus on exploration and monster-killing.
    Hatorian
  • Michelle said:

Drunk Monopoly. Rent is paid with its value in shots. If you land on Boardwalk with a hotel on it, you're just screwed. lol

Oh lord. That sounds like a hospital trip!
    HatorianMichelle
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    I enjoy Axis & Allies. I haven't been able to get enough people or for them to stick with it long enough to burn through my enjoyment of it. Although @A_Ron_Hubbard is right that there are some clear dominate strategies out of the gate for the different nations you repeat over and over.

Another really fun board game is the Game of Thrones board game. If you're a fan of the show its a no brainier but the structure of the game makes it very unpredictable and fortunes can change rapidly. It forces you to be aggressive and ruthless as its not meant to be balanced bc Houses on the Iron Throme or small council clearly have an advantage and you're trying your best to hold on or knock someone off.
  • DaveyMac said:

Oh and Euchre is great. My family is obsessed with that game and have tournaments all the time. I get to join every time I'm back in the States.
    One of my favorite things about Euchre are the unwritten rules, traditions, and downright superstitions.  Feels a lot like baseball, in that regard. 
    TheEconomistDaveyMac
    MichaelG said:

My wife and I have been playing the lighter version of Agricola, called Creatures Big and Small (2 players only).  We've had a lot of fun with it, and I think it has taught us the basic gameplay mechanics of the more in-depth Agricola, which we're looking forward to playing on a dedicated evening with more people. 

You don't need to wait.  Agricola is a great couple's game.  I'd also recommend a scoring app, as it's easy to mess that part up, and it just speeds up math.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2016
    Travis said:

Michelle said:

Oh lord. That sounds like a hospital trip!
    Well, but, you know, if any of your friends are still sober enough, no one's going to let you drink a Boardwalk Hotel's worth of rent in shots.  I think at that point you'd just bow out as gracefully as you could for someone who's most likely already blitzed from everything else you 'paid' up until that point. 
    Travis
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Zombicide is great
    Pandemic is always awesome. I've been playing the Legacy version with friends recently.
    Forbidden Island is really fun and plays quick.
    Dead of Winter is fantastic
    The latest one I've given a shot is Codenames and I've had a blast with it.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Wow!! Thanks for starting this thread, @Hatorian !! I haven't heard of 99% of the games mentioned in here so I googled and am fascinated!! Hubby and I are quite traditional (when it comes to board games LOL!!) -- our favorites are trivial pursuit (Star Wars and original) and monopoly (we have 8 different variations!) and then Uno and Yahtzee for non board games.

I'm thinking about getting Agricola! Looks interesting!!
    Hatorian
    BTW, just got around to playing Sushi Go! last night with Cecily's fam and it was a hit. It's a very charming and fairly deep drafting game where to goal is to make the most delicious sushi dinner.

The drafting element gives it some great emergent strategy and just enough buddy fucking to make things interesting but not too bloody.
    Cecily
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I keep meaning to get around to Sushi Go! It is super cheap, so I look forward to that.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut

The drafting element gives it some great emergent strategy and just enough buddy fucking to make things interesting but not too bloody.

I'm going to save this quote and use it out of context EVERYWHERE. Because out of context this sounds fucking horrifying.
    DaveyMacTravis
  • This brought back some old memories. forgot this game even existed...

• Does anyone still play Stratego?
    Hatoriantrippy
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @Hatorian turning Risk into a drinking game is a dangerous game. Regular Risk is already conflict inducing.

We have been playing the Plants vs Zombies variant of Risk lately it is a pretty interesting adaptation of the video game to a board game.
    Hatorian
    Stratego is an underappreciated gem, and way ahead of it's time.  Jim and I got into playing it very intensely a few years back, and I love playing it with my son.  I can see his sense of tactics and strategy develop game by game.
    Hatorian
  • Stratego is the shit!
  • Carcasonne is great, and it's a great "first game" to get, too.  Plays well from 2 to 4 players.  Very simple, but deep. 

Agricola is a bit intimidating to get into, but once you master the setup, it's so much fun, and soooo re-playable.  Probably my favorite single game right now, and it's great from 1-5 players. The way the board scales with player #s is ingenious.

Flashpoint Fire Rescue is great, and has family rules I can play with my nine year old, AND it's brutally hard and challenging in the full game, and it's co-op, which is fun.  Pandemic is another nice co-op game.

The most fun co-op/betrayal game is Battlestar Galactica.  It's spawned genuine fights and hurt feelings among my gaming group.  Then there was that one time I played Diplomacy... haha.
    I grew up playing boardgames (Monopoly/Risk/etc) but didn't really discover the true hobby until a few hours ago. Now I've got a huge collection.

Agricola is my favorite game. It also happened to be one of the first I bought, I felt lost after reading the rules. I had to watch a video for it to make sense. There is just so much replay-ability packed into that box thanks to all of the cards. No two games are ever really the same. It plays good with all player counts 2-5. There is a great iOS app for it too that I highly recommend, especially if you wan to play single player.

Carcassone is great, and highly recommended entry level game that still has a ton of depth once you get good at it. There is also a great app for it too.

Some of my favorites tend to be more complex and strategy games:

Keyflower
    Netrunner -- A ton of game in the base set if you are a casual player
    Puerto Rico
    7 Wonders
    Race for the Galaxy
    Lord of the Rings LCG

There is just too many to list. There is also the world of solitaire games (even Agricola can be played solitaire - but it's not great), 2 player games (my wife and I have a number that we enjoy, Battle Line, Lost Cities, Jambo, Settlers the card game), and social games (Two rooms and a boom, Coup, Avalon). So really there is something for everyone