207 - "Inflatable"

Director:  Colin Bucksey
Writer:  Gordon Smith

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    How could you live in Chicago of all places and let yourself get conned like that? Don't you believe it.
  • I'm glad they committed to Jimmy taking the money.  We don't need a convoluted did he/didn't he backstory with a dead father.  Embrace the orange Jimmy, embrace it.

My favorite moment was Kim going to smoke on top of the parking garage.  I didn't DVR the episode, but I think when she looks at the card, all the streetlights in the background are red.  When she rips it in half, they cut back to that angle and the lights are green.  It sounds a little bacon gauntlety, but it's a cool detail they probably picked up on set.
    TheEconomistDummyJamesMelonuskunread
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2016
    If anything, it's fun to watch this show to see what new montage ideas they can come up with. I give high marks for the "Jimmy Goes Full-Costanza to Get Fired" Montage.

I agree, the scene with Kim on top of the parking garage was shot beautifully.

I hope we get to see Omar again. He's a good dude, goes above and beyond!
    Underwood
  • GredalBee said:

I'm glad they committed to Jimmy taking the money.  We don't need a convoluted did he/didn't he backstory with a dead father.  Embrace the orange Jimmy, embrace it.

My favorite moment was Kim going to smoke on top of the parking garage.  I didn't DVR the episode, but I think when she looks at the card, all the streetlights in the background are red.  When she rips it in half, they cut back to that angle and the lights are green.  It sounds a little bacon gauntlety, but it's a cool detail they probably picked up on set.

Nice catch @GredalBee. Just reviewed it: When she is looking at card, yup they are all red. After ripping, all are green except for the two nearest her, which are always blinking red throughout whole season.
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • I really love this episode but I was a little confused with the timeline. It felt like a lot of time passed with the montage, but maybe a week and a half at most passed. By the time Jimmy was fired I thought that maybe the "next Thursday" that Kim mentioned had already passed, but nope. Oh well. That montage was still freaking cool so whatever. 

I'm still not 100% that Jimmy stole that money. He didn't really look all that happy when he took it, and now I can see where else the money had gone. Dad probably wouldn't want to tell his son Chuck that he gave away all that money to swindlers, just like he wouldn't want to tell him Jimmy took it. 

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    A subtle call-back to the Breaking Bad episode "Green Light" in the (Season 3 Episode 4) where Walt gets that same green light and makes another pretty important decision before the credits roll. I hope Kim's ends less tragic.

Man, Mike was put through the wringer even before Walt came into his life. I think the audience is definitely supposed to get the impression his daughter was hosing him to get cash. I am not convinced it started out that way with the gunshot at the earlier home, but there are too many suspicious looks he gives her as well as that half-hearted hug to not see the smoke at that fire.

In all honesty though, it was nice to have a Jimmy-centric episode, as it was beginning to feel like the "Mike Show (sometimes featuring Jimmy McGill)".

I think its a tad hard (at least for me) to relate to Jimmy. I mean, I get it--he needs to do his own thing and feels trapped and confined when he isn't. Its just so outside what most lawyers are looking for it is hard to understand. The really interesting thing though is we know he ends up as Saul where he is definitely doing his own thing. Stuff fans have discussed and viewed as being sad after seeing how bright and enthusiastic he was. But especially with this season we have been led to understand that he likes the commercials, the gaudy clothing, staying on the fringes of the law, and grifting people for a living.

This colors things--I think many of us were waiting for that fall from grace from a gorgeous law firm. But he pulls that rip cord (or pushed the button on the wall) himself. That changes the trajectory a bit in my mind. I am sure there is unpleasantness to come, but according to Jimmy this is what he wants. So its hard for me to reconcile the tragedy there.
    hypergenesbpavlovsbellTheEconomistMelonusk
  • I think its a tad hard (at least for me) to relate to Jimmy. I mean, I get it--he needs to do his own thing and feels trapped and confined when he isn't. Its just so outside what most lawyers are looking for it is hard to understand.

I dunno, I have a number of lawyer friends, and most of the ones who work at high-paying, high-prestige corporate firms have expressed a fair amount of burn out and dissatisfaction with the culture/lifestyle, and are seriously thinking about forgoing the finical security of potential partnership and instead going to a smaller firm or whatnot, for a better lifestyle.

• Man, Mike was put through the wringer even before Walt came into his life. I think the audience is definitely supposed to get the impression his daughter was hosing him to get cash. I am not convinced it started out that way with the gunshot at the earlier home, but there are too many suspicious looks he gives her as well as that half-hearted hug to not see the smoke at that fire.

I'm still in the camp that I need more information before I can say that Mike is being hustled by his daughter in law.  All she does is find a house that she really likes for several reasons and then does a guilt trip thing with saying how much money it is.  It's not like Mike was like "well, you know, it's an awful lot of money".  No, Mike's reaction is "whatever you want, we'll get for you and make it happen somehow".  Now, what I can sort of lean to is that perhaps Stacy doesn't have any guilt or problems with what Mike has to do to get the money for her.  But I wouldn't call that a con job.  This is just more of taking advantage of Mike's love for his granddaughter and guilt over his involvement in his son's death.

pavlovsbell
  • JamesJames southern California
    The cold open got to me. Jimmy spent a big portion of the first season defending clients who were accused of crimes but had little or no money. The rationale behind a poor person's right to representation was given by his dad: "But what if this is a guy who really needs my help?" Call him a sucker, but he couldn't live with himself if he turned someone away who is really in need.

What is the only example of HHM defending anyone? The Kettlemans, a middle-class white couple who stole 1.6 million that they didn't need. From a county government (I never understood the fight over them as clients: it's not a lucrative case --though it would have been beneficial for Jimmy -- and defending a public employee accused of embezzling public money certainly doesn't seem like a public relations coup).

For all of Chuck's protestations of "we're here to help people" his firm would not be involved in the Sandpiper case if it didn't have the promise of a huge payoff (not to mention the publicity) at the end. Jimmy originally took on that case because he felt bad about the fact that his fee for a will preparation was more money than an old woman had to her name, and he wanted to know why.
    TheEconomistDee
  • What does Mike hope to gain staking out the cartel? I can't think of what his next move is going to be. 

I loved seeing Jimmy actually be happy; I was all smiles from the moment that montage started playing. This had to be the funniest episode of the season so far. 
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Was that the parking garage from BB season 4 finale?
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

A subtle call-back to the Breaking Bad episode "Green Light" in the (Season 3 Episode 4) where Walt gets that same green light and makes another pretty important decision before the credits roll. I hope Kim's ends less tragic.

Man, Mike was put through the wringer even before Walt came into his life. I think the audience is definitely supposed to get the impression his daughter was hosing him to get cash. I am not convinced it started out that way with the gunshot at the earlier home, but there are too many suspicious looks he gives her as well as that half-hearted hug to not see the smoke at that fire.

In all honesty though, it was nice to have a Jimmy-centric episode, as it was beginning to feel like the "Mike Show (sometimes featuring Jimmy McGill)".

I think its a tad hard (at least for me) to relate to Jimmy. I mean, I get it--he needs to do his own thing and feels trapped and confined when he isn't. Its just so outside what most lawyers are looking for it is hard to understand. The really interesting thing though is we know he ends up as Saul where he is definitely doing his own thing. Stuff fans have discussed and viewed as being sad after seeing how bright and enthusiastic he was. But especially with this season we have been led to understand that he likes the commercials, the gaudy clothing, staying on the fringes of the law, and grifting people for a living.

This colors things--I think many of us were waiting for that fall from grace from a gorgeous law firm. But he pulls that rip cord (or pushed the button on the wall) himself. That changes the trajectory a bit in my mind. I am sure there is unpleasantness to come, but according to Jimmy this is what he wants. So its hard for me to reconcile the tragedy there.

I think Gilligan is more interested in characters who are responsible for their tragedies; as you mentioned, Jimmy telegraphed this by flipping that switch in the season premiere. He cannot help himself. And I agree with you about not finding Jimmy relatable. I can empathize with him, but I do not find him sympathetic. My sympathy was with Cliff and everyone else at the firm, who Jimmy was deliberately making miserable so he could wriggle out of his contract and keep the bonus. Even though it was ultimately worth it to Cliff to pay Jimmy to go away, Cliff's weariness struck a personal note with me. My dad is a sheep surrounded by wolves, too weary to fight them, so they continue to take advantage, and it breaks my heart.  

As for Stacey, prior to this, I accepted her behavior as a symptom of mental illness; e.g., PTSD, clinical depression, anxiety. However, in this episode, her performance shifted slightly. She does not question how Mike is getting huge amounts of money. And given her distress over finding her husband's money last season, and calling the Philly police about it, does her behavior track? I honestly do not know because Stacey has not been developed as a character at all, so I don't know what to make of her.

Half measures seem to be the theme of the season. Mike does not commit fully to his agreement with Hector, Kim does not commit fully to Jimmy's proposal. (Ouch, been there too: We don't need to get married, let's just move in together. Yeah, that doesn't work out, either.) Kim should suck it up and take the job at S&C, pay off her loans ($15K is nothing, lucky girl), build up a client base, and make a solid plan to launch her own firm if she really wants to. Being professionally associated with Jimmy in any way is a bad idea. But Kim making a lateral move and being either happy or the same does not make for interesting drama, so I'm bracing myself for bad things to come with this quasi-partnership.
    TheEconomistCory
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @EMAW42 my speculation with Mike staking out the cartel is that he's the one that puts Hector in the wheelchair by whatever method. Or, he's getting recon so he can compromise their security and show his usefulness to get on the cartel payroll for that new house. Probably the latter.
    adobo1148
  • Underwood said:

My thoughts exactly! Wouldn't surprise me. Also, no damn words for that whole scene and I was still fascinated by it. It seems they are piling on "silent reactions" scenes this season and I have no complaints.

@TheEconomist I thought Hector was in a wheelchair because he had a stroke? Maybe I'm confusing a bit.

Also, another nice cameo - that was that the same Realtor from BB when Marie was doing her thing.
    Underwood
  • Underwood said:

I wondered so while watching, but I don't think it can be the same building, unless Kim is on top of that hospital for some reason.
    Underwood
  • Underwood said:

My thoughts exactly! Wouldn't surprise me. Also, no damn words for that whole scene and I was still fascinated by it. It seems they are piling on "silent reactions" scenes this season and I have no complaints.

@TheEconomist I thought Hector was in a wheelchair because he had a stroke? Maybe I'm confusing a bit.

Also, another nice cameo - that was that the same Realtor from BB when Marie was doing her thing.
    They never specifically say that Hector had a stroke on BrBa. According to the BrBa Wiki, "Hector was rendered invalid possibly from a stroke or some form of motor neuron disease; such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig's disease. The reason why it is suspected that he suffered from a form of motor neuron disease is because in the flashback episodes featuring Hector Salamanca, it appears that he is beginning to show signs of muscular degeneration." 

So they could do just about anything they want on BCS to put him in that wheelchair.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @Melonusk I do recall something about a stroke and Hector. I guess it's possible for Mike to do something that leads to a stroke for Hector such as a complication in recovery from an attack by Mike whatever that entails.
    Melonusk
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited March 2016
    What muscular degeneration that is shown in BrBa on Hector? Just curious.
  • Melia004 said:

Underwood said:

I wondered so while watching, but I don't think it can be the same building, unless Kim is on top of that hospital for some reason.
    @Underwood - I did some research tonight. Here's your answer on the parking garage: It's a few blocks away, but not the same location. 

UnderwoodMelonusk
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Omar!!! Man I was really hoping he'd close that U-Haul and tell Jimmy that he'd like to work with him. But then he dropped that kids line and I knew this guy needed his job. 
    Sad that we won't get any more Erin though. I loved hating her haha. 

• Someone just gave me this reference from Gomie in 2x03 about Hector: "Stroke or no stroke, old-school gangbang Mexicans don't help feds." 
  • edited March 2016

Someone just gave me this reference from Gomie in 2x03 about Hector: "Stroke or no stroke, old-school gangbang Mexicans don't help feds." 

I guess that doesn't rule out a possible Mike-Influence completely, as it might be some kind of "underground situation" in which Mike gets him into that wheelchair. The cartel won't blaze abroad that a "fucked up old guy" got Hector there, but they might go with the stroke as official version (which then will be believed by the DEA, too).

It is really interesting to think about the connections between Mike, Hector, Saul/Jimmy and Gus:

Gus (presumably) first met Hector in 1989, when he killed his "hermano" Max. After that he is working for the cartel (at least in 2010/11 this is the case

Mike in 2009 is working for Saul and (we definitely know) at least from 2010 for Gus. Saul knows (if not in person, than at least he knows what he's doing) Gus.

Now we get the new connection, that also Mike is connected to the cartel (and at a lower level even Saul). It will be really interesting to see which more connections will be made throughout BCS, in my opinion this is really great stuff and so far the Villigang did an awesome job in avoiding the contact mines that this delicate construct of personal connections brings with it.
  • It will be hard to postulate Kim in Jimmy's life in Breaking Bad if they actually go through with partially hitching their wagons together at this point.   
  • edited March 2016
    I kind of fear about Kim's future as the number of smaller or bigger "jumping of the roof" / suicide / roof mentions from her and in context to her seem to accumulate...

With now knowing more about her origin (Kansas) and the number of cameos in this season, I would love to see a flashback of Kim working for an old black rhyming, jabberwocky-quoting badass called Mike played by Samuel L Jackson (I know it's not gonna happen, but the image in my head is a pure lump of solid gold)
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA

Melia004 said:

Underwood said:

@Underwood - I did some research tonight. Here's your answer on the parking garage: It's a few blocks away, but not the same location. 

Thanks for the research! That website is sweet, Ill have to bookmark it.
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • **** SPOILERS FOR BREAKING BAD ****

Mike, as portrayed in BCS, is extremely good at what he does.  Do you think that's at possible that in Breaking Bad ... (hold on, I know ... ) ... he isn't dead?  Do you think that was somehow (somehow?!?!) planned to get him out, and that he'll show up in the Gene future story???

At this point, based on how I've seen Mike handle, well everything, I'd buy it.  

Meanwhile, I'm loving this show and season but am not interested in the cameos, as much.  The cousins were unnecessary.  I really want this show to be its own thing, and frankly, would love more time with our new characters (Chuck? Howard?).  

As much as I am loving what they're doing, I'm beginning to fidget in my seat a little bit.  I would love to jump into a 3rd season that takes place during Breaking Bad and see if they could pull off a Back To the Future 2-esque story.  (Is Saul the only persona Jimmy adopts?  Who from BCS is alive and well during BB?  What is Saul doing when we're not looking?)  Meanwhile, I'm also finding myself craving more Gene story with a lot of those same questions.  Is it just me?  
  • @James C. Walt and Todd give Mike the acid barrel treatment, so I don't think it's possible. 
  • James C. said:

**** SPOILERS FOR BREAKING BAD ****

Mike, as portrayed in BCS, is extremely good at what he does.  Do you think that's at possible that in Breaking Bad ... (hold on, I know ... ) ... he isn't dead?  Do you think that was somehow (somehow?!?!) planned to get him out, and that he'll show up in the Gene future story???

At this point, based on how I've seen Mike handle, well everything, I'd buy it.  

@James C., are you speculating that towards the end of Breaking Bad, Mike didn't actually die?  I forget exactly, but pretty sure Walt shoots Mike right in the gut and gut wounds/shots can easily be fatal.  Also, after getting shot, Mike starts to drive away only to crash the car after a few moments (hence, he doesn't get very far).  Then, when Walt finds Mike, he takes Mike's gun and Mike eventually utters the line of "let me die in peace".  So, I have a hard time believing that after all of this, Mike somehow survived.  Actually, I'd be mad if Mike somehow shows up in a future storyline post ending of Breaking Bad. 
  • Agree with Jim regarding the whole montage, if you were so offended and put off by Jimmy's antics, Aron, Cliff at least got in the final zinger.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Raphael Sbarge was just perfectly cast as Jimmy's dad - there's a lovely air of pathos about him. I really like him and I wish he was in more stuff.
    kojiattwood