What Movies Have You Never Seen?

I hate to admit it, but I have large, Michael Strahan-like gaps in my movie repertoire. Growing up, I never had cable, and never had family members who were that interested in movies or television... or playing catch... or helping me with my homework... or loving m... nevermind. I've made up for it in spades, but mostly with movies and television that came out during my HS years (1997-2008.) As a result, I've never seen a lot of movies... I've only seen Braveheart and Gladiator within the last three years. Here are some of the biggest off the top of my head...

Any Star Wars (I've tried watching the 1st one a couple of times, but it never took.)
Any Godfather
Any Rocky films
Any Indiana Jones films
Any Die Hards
Titanic because... ewwww (although I'm pretty sure I know the entire movie anyway)
Princess Bride

There are definitely more, but what are some of yours?

P.S. To be fair, I've seen I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Menace II Society over 6 times each, so I've got that going for me.

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I've never seen a James Bond film and I have zero interest in doing so.

I've also never seen The Sound of Music, which is weird since it was on TV every few months when I was growing up. I'm at the point now where I am deliberately avoiding ever seeing it - it's my Princess Bride.
  • Ive never watched the godfather trilogy, but have seen every single other movie
  • I've never seen any of the Star Wars movie. They just weren't for me, I'm a Trekkie!
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Dee said:

I've never seen a James Bond film and I have zero interest in doing so.

Me too! (Although if they really are going to cast Idris Elba as the next Bond I may have to think about it)

• WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    I hadn't actually watched The Godfather until I saw that J&A were podcasting on it last week. I'm about to watch Part II so I can listen to that episode as well.

I've never seen Jaws, Gremlins, The Thing, E.T., Citizen Kane, Aliens (though I've seen Alien), A Clockwork Orange, or Scarface and that's only naming ones that I could think of off the top of my head as being "classic" movies that everyone just assumes you've already seen.
    edited December 2014
    Funny story: I used to work at Blockbuster Video, and I had this customer in with her boyfriend and they were talking about Alpha Dog (2006, 6.9/10 on IMDb.) When they got up to the counter she asked if I had ever seen it. I told her no, and the look on her face was as if I had just said I had never heard of Jesus Christ. She says "How you gonna work in a video store and you never seen Alpha Dog?"

Moral of the Story: one person's classic novel is another's bird-cage liner.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ha, I'd probably make an exception for Idris Elba too, @FrakkinToaster‌
    Also never seen any of the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings/Hobbit flicks, and I don't really feel like I am missing out.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2014
    I also have not seen any of the Godfather movies or Scarface. There is also One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest and Chinatown and my wife has been on a campaign to get me to see Streetcar Named Desire for a few years now. I've only seen one of the old Star Trek movies, and I don't think the one I saw is seen as one of the better ones (all I really remember is it is where the old cast first met the Next Generation cast. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid). There are tons more, but those are the ones that come quickly to mind.

@FrakkinToaster‌ I'm not sure if that sort of fantasy movie is just not your bag, in which case I can see the LOTR flicks being a waste of time, but they are beautifully made. If you have any interest at all I would watch Fellowship. It's easily the best of the 5 anyways (the last one isn't out yet, right?) and it may be worth it just for what they accomplished visually. That said, I'm a fan of the series so though I feel like I come at it realistically my opinion on the matter is only worth so much.

@Dee‌ I've only seen The Sound of Music once, and it was at this thing at the Hollywood Bowl where they screened the movie and the audience was encouraged to sing along with the movie (aptly named The Sound of Music Sing-a-long). I didn't end up soaking much in (aside from wine) but it seemed like a decent movie. Fun night.

@AndrewTobey‌ Dude! The highest priority on your list should be Die Hard (#1). Die Hard totally rules, and it's technically a Christmas movie so it's seasonally appropriate. It is, in my opinion, the best Christmas movie ever.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I can relate. I have huge gaps in what I've seen as far as rated-R films before 1997, and fairly significant gaps until 2007, at which point I feel like I've seen almost every fun or important film released since then. It is really, really, hard to keep up on every worthy film, book, or TV series of note. And thinking about catching up if you're behind in some categories is daunting.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    As long as everyone has seen Heat, I'm good. Ha ha.
  • The_SauceThe_Sauce Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Kind of related, but I only just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time this past weekend.
    What an excellent film. Definitely not what I had in my mind AT ALL. If Vietnam was half as intense as it was portrayed in this movie, then holy fuck, it was way worse than I ever thought it was, and I thought it was pretty bad. So far is is definitely my favorite film set in Vietnam.
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    @The_Sauce you should check out Full Metal Jacket if you haven't seen it. Jesus Christ. R. Lee Ermey is known as being the only actor that Stanley Kubrick ever let improvise complete sequences of dialogue.
  • @DoctorBell I've never seen Heat, but I know there's a diner scene.

@WarpFox‌ I've not seen Full Metal Jacket either.

@FrakkinToaster‌ I'm with you on the LOTR stuff. I've not seen it nor do I have a burning desire.
    We're all here talking about the stuff we haven't seen, in an open and non-judgmental way, but there are a couple of movies that it just seems like everyone objectively should see and I am flabbergasted that people haven't seen them. For instance, I can't believe that there is an American alive in their mid-30s or older that hasn't seen Star Wars. It just doesn't compute that those people exist. Of course they do, and it's just a bias on my part. What about you? What are the movies that are so basic to your identity as a consumer of media that you are genuinely shocked to hear that someone has never seen it?
  • The_SauceThe_Sauce Pleasant Prairie, WI
    WarpFox said:

@The_Sauce you should check out Full Metal Jacket if you haven't seen it. Jesus Christ. R. Lee Ermey is known as being the only actor that Stanley Kubrick ever let improvise complete sequences of dialogue.

I have most definitely seen Full Metal Jacket, a number of times. Excellent film indeed. And for as gritty and dark as it is I feel like Apocalypse Now, is even darker, gritter, and more visceral. Definitely a movie I need to watch another time of two to really grasp everything that is going. I have seen quite a few movies set in the Vietnam war, and after seeing Apocalypse Now, I feel really compelled to round out my Vietnam movie viewing and just watch everything else out there related to the war.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2014
    @AndrewTobey‌ The diner scene is classic, but it's really just a small part of what makes Heat a great movie. It's beautifully shot, every character is well written and has depth, the acting is top notch, and the score is one of the best in cinema history. I've heard a few people say it's overrated, but I still consider it a quote un-quote "perfect movie." Without a doubt Michael Mann's best work (although, Manhunter is an extremely close second).
  • Haven't seen Clockwork Orange, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 2001 or any of the Hobbit films (don't plan to on those)
    I believe Die Hard, Heat and Reservoir Dogs were all on a list of mandatory "guys" films as per FHM or some rag of the sort. Sort of agree.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2014

We're all here talking about the stuff we haven't seen, in an open and non-judgmental way, but there are a couple of movies that it just seems like everyone objectively should see and I am flabbergasted that people haven't seen them. For instance, I can't believe that there is an American alive in their mid-30s or older that hasn't seen Star Wars. It just doesn't compute that those people exist. Of course they do, and it's just a bias on my part. What about you? What are the movies that are so basic to your identity as a consumer of media that you are genuinely shocked to hear that someone has never seen it?

I like that idea. The first one that comes to mind (aside from your choice of the original Star Wars trilogy) would be Jurassic Park. I'm sure that I'm wrong, but I feel like I don't know a single person that hasn't seen Jurassic Park. The first Matrix is another one like that. To go in a different direction, the Little Mermaid also comes to mind (though that one feels a little more dicey). Not necessarily a "best movies ever" list (though I am definitely fond of all three), but I would be definitely surprised to be talking to someone and find that they had not seen those movies.

On a similar note, I just found out over the holiday that my wife hasn't seen Heathers. I am very excited to fix that. Great movie, haven't seen it in far too many years.
  • Scarface
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @oorah_okie‌ we have to fix that one! lol
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    For the me the big ones are Citizen Kane and The Seventh Seal - two movies I really, really want to see but just haven't found the right time...
    Oof, I've seen both of those, and they are "important", but they are not "entertaining". You'll definitely feel like you're taking your medicine with both if you're anything like me. Contrast those with Casablanca, which while still definitely old fashioned, still holds up as entertaining to a modern audience... at least if you can hang with Mad Men or The Leftovers.
    I'm also on the list of those who have never seen The Princess Bride. I feel it was on everyday as a kid on HBO, but I'd always switch over and re-watch Weird Science again every time.
    BTW, I've referenced this before, but I think it's a great idea for everyone to try to work their way through the AFI top 100. Especially the top 20. I haven't seen them all, but I've seen over 80 of them, and it was quite the education.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

Pairs very well with Roger Ebert's Great Movies book, so you can understand why they're on the list (although quite a few are self-evidently great). Wikipedia is great too for a lot of them, as it is good for introducing briefly critical consensus to give you an idea of why the film is highly regarded. The AFI itself has a lot of amazing info linked, but the formatting is very poor.
    Wow, I've only seen 2 films in the top 10. Now I'm depressed
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I was baffled by the AFI list at first glance and the absence of foreign films that I thoroughly expected to see. Then I realized that it is confined to American films. Clearly I am hitting that late-morning / early afternoon low blood sugar slump. :\
  • My wife and I set out to watch the whole top 100. I think we've both seen approximately 70 and we keep meaning to go back and finish. We've seen so many great movies thanks to that list. I probably wouldn't have seen the Maltese Falcon and Sunset Boulevard otherwise. I'm a huge fan of the list. I just checked and it's actually changed a bit since then. I know there are mixed feelings about the Lord of the Rings flicks on this board, but I'm really glad to see Fellowship on the list. It really was a beautifully made, really good movie.
    edited January 2015
    Maltese Falcon is so great. I got to see a restored print at an art-house showing in Indy a few years back, and it was awesome. Bogart back in the day was such a huge star, and I think MF is the best showcase for his brand of talent.

@ksa1001‌ you're in for a treat. Other than Citizen Kane, which I think is tough sledding (ha!), the top 10 is extremely fun and very watchable. Part of the fun in working through the list is being pleasantly surprised by films you've never heard of or might have some vague awareness of, or seeing legends like Jack Lemon or Alec Guinness in their primes. Or finally understanding what the fuss of Marilyn Monroe was.
    Travis
  • Totally agree. That movie is amazing, and (though I've only seen 4 of his movies) it is him at his best. He's been great in all four of the ones I've seen (MF, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, African Queen), but he's just perfect in MF. I'd love to see it in a theater someday.
This discussion has been closed.