2.08 - Fifi

Written by Thomas Schnauz 
Directed by Larysa Kondracki 

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Hell of an intro. I was bobbing my head throughout the entire open. 
    hypergenesbDoctor_NickopkoadpavlovsbellTravisMelonusk
  • On a BCS scale, this was wasn't that great.  A lot of the Jimmy stuff had me cringing too much to want to watch this episode again. The ease that Jimmy tampered those documents was unsettling, and I could have done without a couple of those Paige looking uneasy shots. Chuck was within his rights to help retain the client, but he shows again how he is willing to sacrifice his own health to make sure Jimmy has no chance of succeeding. Having someone lie about being a war veteran is also a little more "colorful" than I would prefer to see. It did have a pretty good open that looked to be an actual all in one take shot, and the music with Jimmy in the copy shop was pretty awesome too. 

It wasn't bad tv at all, but I don't think I'll ever watch this episode again. 

So I guess Mike's plan is puncturing the tires of the probable drug car? I guess he could try calling the cops after the car is incapacitated, but that couldn't be all of the plan. Still have no idea where that's going, but I can't wait to see. 
    Drew
  • Hell of an intro. I was bobbing my head throughout the entire open. 

Damn Mexican popsicle smugglers.  Get ya every time.
    WonderedObject
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 2016
    1. If Chuck doesn't figure out that Jimmy was responsible, the mistakes in the case might crush him and lead to his incapacitation or death, Jimmy somehow being made to feel guilty, Kim finding out, losing Kim-----> Full Blown Saul?

2. It doesn't take much of a lawyer to know you can't use images of private property for commercial purposes without a release. The plane commercial is a pretty silly move.
  • Was I the only person to think that when the military came back with a group of soldiers that thought that these guys were going to arrest the fake veteran because somehow they figured out Jimmy and company were lying?  I know when I saw the group walking back I thought Jimmy was about to get caught in a lie.

As for what Jimmy/Chuck, I didn't see it as Chuck trying to screw Jimmy over.  I just saw it as Chuck trying to not have a recently signed client leave.  I'm giving Chuck the benefit of the doubt that he would have done the same even if this client wasn't going to be anyhow associated with Jimmy (even if it's via Kim who is separate from Jimmy).

I'm still not sure where Mike is going with his thinking. Yes, he's out to disable a car or truck but what then?  Need to see more.  Although, I was just happy that we got the payoff of what he was doing with the hose.  I thought they were going to leave us hanging and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why he was drilling the holes in the hose in the first place.

TheEconomistDrewDoctor_Nick
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    edited April 2016
    Anyone else...
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    Anyone else becoming increasingly disappointed in this show? I want to like it, and I don't dislike it, but this season has felt like its been running in place for much of it. Indications from the preview for next episode suggest that the Mike and Saul storylines may finally begin to merge, and that may be what the show needs to become great - but the last two episodes kind of made me yawn. I trust Gilligan and company, but I'm not thrilled with how much of a halt they put on the shows momentum.
    hypergenesbNicholas
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey, thanks for stepping in @hypergenesb, I completely spaced the thread recording Banshee and Daredevil last night.  Sorry everybody!
    hypergenesbpavlovsbell
  • I've actually been increasingly appreciating the show more and more--the acting has consistently been top-notch, and character development intriguing.  Looking forward to this season's denouement, and to see if it ties in Jimmy and Mike's story lines.
    pavlovsbellTravis
  • I was thinking that Howard sort of redeemed himself this episode, but I just realized that he totally manipulated Chuck. He tells Chuck that Jimmy and Kim are pooling their resources, and when Chuck says something about them being partners Howard does not correct him. Howard knew that if Chuck thought Jimmy and Kim were partners he would definitely try his best to keep Mesa Verde; if Chuck knew they weren't actually partners he might not have gone out of his way to save the client (because he actually likes Kim). He's using Chuck's insane jealousy/hatred toward Jimmy to ensure Kim doesn't win over the client.

I can't help but feel that Jimmy's stunt with the paperwork is going to backfire on Kim somehow. We know Jimmy doesn't get disbarred, is it possible that Kim does?

I still have no clue what Mike's end game is with the cartel right now. I was thinking maybe he was casing their operations for weaknesses so he could come to them with that knowledge and try to get on their payroll. But now a tire spike-strip? So he's going to take out the Popsicle truck or Hector's car? Why? 
    TheEconomistmentel42
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I have heard a lot of complaints that this show is boring, I disagree. I guess the major issue for me is that Mike is way more interesting, really enjoy Jimmy and his stories side characters more than what I imagine Mikes would be but it doesn't change the fact that it feels like this should have been a Mike centric show.

I was blown away that he would forge them documents, that seems super illegal and like something you would be disbarred for. Kim has become a super interesting character this season and she really stole the show the last few episodes. It's sad that Bob Odenkirk is being upstaged by two other characters/actors in what is supposed to be his show.
    kojiattwood
  • Dummy said:

On a BCS scale, this was wasn't that great.  

Whaaaaaat? I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season.
    Dummypavlovsbell
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @EMAW42 I'm totally on the Mike getting on the cartel payroll idea. I think maybe he's going to sabotage a truck to demonstrated just how routine and predictable their operation is if one guy can so easily stake out and interdict their shipment. But also on a parallel thread I think Mike is involved in whatever circumstance that leads Hector into a wheelchair.
  • On my brother in law's dime, I dined at Geronimo, the place Kim mentioned at the beginning while they ate cheap at the hot dog stand. It was a good meal as I recall, but rather pricey. You'll get a great meal at the the Cowgirl, The plaza cafe, or the flying tortilla, at a 1/3 of the price.
    On to the episode, wow, this was probably my favorite episode of the season, mainly because we got to see both Mike and Jimmy in their element, and thriving. Jimmy performing surgery on Chucks mesa verde documents, and Mike performing surveillance and building a spiked hose with his granddaughter, awesome.
    We got a little more insight into Howard as well, but I felt they could have gone a little further. Maybe get into his father, his father's relationship with Chuck, why It appears he's afraid of Chuck.
    The sell job Howard and Chuck do on Mesa verde, while effective, got annoying. I get it, reverse psychology, but goddamitt, if I was Mesa verde, I'd have been like, you got a fucking point already!!!! Patronizing assholes!!!
    Finally the tracking shot during the opening was a little too long for my tastes. This particular tracking shot was confusing because I wasn't sure what to pay attention to, did anyone else feel that way?Visually it's impressive work, but ultimately showey and heavy handed.
    Underwoodpavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @MichaelVCassidy I do not have a problem at all with the pace, but I am not a plot person. I actually find shows with a meticulous pace like this refreshing and ambitious, provided that the show fills its space with elements that interest me. I do have issues with the show, but it has not been running in place for me. Last night's episode actually went by very quickly.

1. If Chuck doesn't figure out that Jimmy was responsible, the mistakes in the case might crush him and lead to his incapacitation or death, Jimmy somehow being made to feel guilty, Kim finding out, losing Kim-----> Full Blown Saul?

2. It doesn't take much of a lawyer to know you can't use images of private property for commercial purposes without a release. The plane commercial is a pretty silly move.

I don't think you even have to be a lawyer to know that you need clearance, not to mention the fact that he had to con his way in there to do some guerrilla filmmaking for advertising purposes. Jimmy's latest escapades have me wondering about his common sense. I suppose he learns the hard way because his Saul Goodman ads are filled with hilarious disclaimers. Perhaps his thinking is you have get caught to be sued or sent a cease-and-desist letter, and now that he is solo, he can be as risky as he wants.
    kojiattwood
  • So it seems like the amazing continuous opening shot from this episode was a tip of the hat to Orson Welles' landmark opening shot in "Touch of Evil" - no?

kojiattwoodDoctor_NickpavlovsbellNicholas
  • Indeed, it is.
  • tonyp1222 said:

Dummy said:

On a BCS scale, this was wasn't that great.  

Whaaaaaat? I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season.
    Fair enough. If I were to rank them, I think this one would be at the bottom for this season, but to each his own. That being said, It still had some cool parts and is better than 95% of shows that are out there. Not hating, just not a huge fan of this one. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I really thought the truck from the opening was going to tie in with Los Hermanos Pollos, maybe make a delivery there (I didn't expect to see Gus though).

Is something going to come out of of Hamlin knowing that Schweikart and Cokely approached Kim, and him thinking she had accepted the offer?
    TheEconomistpavlovsbellMelonusk
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, just watched the episode, and I'm shocked because I thought it was one of the better ones this season. The intro was awesome (they had to use a drone, no?) and I think they nailed the Jimmy / Mike mixture. Even loved the kinko montage!
    kojiattwoodUnderwoodpavlovsbellMelonusk
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited April 2016

Wow, just watched the episode, and I'm shocked because I thought it was one of the better ones this season. The intro was awesome (they had to use a drone, no?) and I think they nailed the Jimmy / Mike mixture. Even loved the kinko montage!

No drones. Steadicam on and off cranes
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I agree, ARon; the entire episode really felt beautifully paced and seamlessly integrated a lot of the story-telling.
  • What is up with the pause after Kim told Harry Hamlin that she was going into private practice, kind of with Jimmy? I have had a vague suspicion that Howard may have some sort of feelings for Kim ever since he began giving her the cold shoulder despite her acquisition of Mesa Verde for HHM. I wonder if he ends up thinking that he can somehow manipulate Kim to end up hating Jimmy, since she is now dependent on Jimmy, a notoriously unreliable person. Howard and Chuck--both hiding questionable behavior behind the same facade of integrity...
    edited April 2016
    I loved this episode. Perhaps I don’t find the legal part of the show boring because I enjoy legal drama when it’s done well. I can relate to the tedium, politics, and endless paperwork of a law firm, and I enjoyed the parallels drawn between the meticulous scenes of the truck inspection, Jimmy’s cut-and-paste montage, and Mike’s surveillance and his own arts and crafts project (“Mommy, look, Pop Pop taught me how to make a spike strip!”), as well as the contrast between Kim’s vague enthusiastic sales pitch and Chuck’s more seasoned sales pitch. Both Kim and Chuck have a bit of Jimmy’s showmanship. The war theme symbolized by the B-29 and carried out by Chuck and Jimmy with Kim caught in the middle, and Mike and the cartel with Kaylee caught in the middle filled me dread, especially when Kim looked the most happy and unguarded she’s been in that dentist’s office with her adorable “boop boop” thumb’s up. (And why does she not give pause to leasing a dentist office instead of an actual business office? Don’t do it. It's all Saul yellow with no Kim blue. It’s clearly not a good fit, Kim!) 

The opening Touch of Evil homage was breathtaking, and Jimmy’s montage was very reminiscent of a Breaking Bad cook montage. In fact, this episode reminded me of early BrBa, which was so much about process. “Fifi” was about the tedious process of people working diligently while a secret war is being waged, and it filled me with dread and anticipation. I get that many people find this boring, but there was so much meat in the episode and the craftsmanship was stunning that I was enraptured. 
    TheEconomistkojiattwoodDaveyMacryanfoster
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis

No drones. Steadicam on and off cranes
    I've been wondering if drones have been used for movie cameras yet. 

I saw this video a while back of some cliffside apartments collapsing into the ocean in California, shot with a drone camera positioned out above the ocean. It was oddly breathtaking. Normally that would have been done with a helicopter, but this looked so different from that. Very fluid and precise, with movements you couldn't have achieved in a helicopter.
    I find Howard so intriguing, and Fabian is a delight to watch. @Melia004 I read that pause as Howard being impressed that Kim was striking out on her own, and wistfulness at his own missed opportunity. I hope that Howard does not have romantic feelings for Kim, but it wouldn't surprise me. His sorry-not-sorry about being hard on her rankled me. The cornfield is one thing; his unprofessional cold shoulder is something else entirely. Would he treat a male colleague that way? I don't know if Howard's motivation is jealousy or protectiveness, or both, and while I completely understand the desire to steer Kim away from Jimmy because he's bad for her, Howard, Chuck ("Svengali!") and Jimmy's actions in this episode smack of paternalism. Kim "You don't save me. I save me." Wexler is not going to like what Jimmy did one bit. And Mike chuckling at His Girl Friday brought home the doomed relationship theme for me.

Did anyone think that Jimmy's reaction to Chuck at the end implied that he might try to rectify what he did, either by switching the documents or confessing?
    DrewMelonuskDaveyMac
  • NicholasNicholas Bangkok, Thailand.

...I trust Gilligan and company, but I'm not thrilled with how much of a halt they put on the shows momentum.

This is my big issue with the season at the moment, lack of momentum. There was always this real sense of urgency, and having real stakes. BCS is starting to feel like a very elegant and deliberate character study masquerading as a drama and crime tale.
    hypergenesb
  • I find Howard so intriguing, and Fabian is a delight to watch. @Melia004 I read that pause as Howard being impressed that Kim was striking out on her own, and wistfulness at his own missed opportunity. I hope that Howard does not have romantic feelings for Kim, but it wouldn't surprise me. His sorry-not-sorry about being hard on her rankled me. The cornfield is one thing; his unprofessional cold shoulder is something else entirely. Would he treat a male colleague that way? I don't know if Howard's motivation is jealousy or protectiveness, or both, and while I completely understand the desire to steer Kim away from Jimmy because he's bad for her, Howard, Chuck ("Svengali!") and Jimmy's actions in this episode smack of paternalism. Kim "You don't save me. I save me." Wexler is not going to like what Jimmy did one bit. And Mike chuckling at His Girl Friday brought home the doomed relationship theme for me.

Did anyone think that Jimmy's reaction to Chuck at the end implied that he might try to rectify what he did, either by switching the documents or confessing?
    What I took most from the look at the end was, Jimmy can't believe how Chuck is completely unable to see anything Chuck does as unethical (remember the newspaper theft?). I actually hope Jimmy doesn't have a change of heart, if only so we can continue progress towards a much-more-willing-to-be-a-criminal Saul. There has to be some meat on the bones of future Gene's story, right? I hope it doesn't take 4 years to get the plaza office and inflated SOL, because I agree with you--I love the tedium of a really thought-out show like BrBd, and I'd love to see some full-on cases handled by a criminal Criminal Lawyer :)
  • Nicholas said:

...I trust Gilligan and company, but I'm not thrilled with how much of a halt they put on the shows momentum.

This is my big issue with the season at the moment, lack of momentum. There was always this real sense of urgency, and having real stakes. BCS is starting to feel like a very elegant and deliberate character study masquerading as a drama and crime tale.

That's exactly on the grounds of how I'm enjoying the show so immensely.
  • Haven't finished the podcast yet, but I've listened past the Chuck/Howard meeting at Chuck's house and just wanted to point out that it's probably important that Chuck is angry at Howard about Kim leaving.  When Howard tells him that Kim is leaving, Chuck seems like he's about to get pissed at Howard until he finds out Jimmy is involved and then he switches into spiting Jimmy mode. I think Howard punishing Kim was a lot more about Howard's issues than it was about Chuck.