209 - "Nailed"

Written and directed by the great Peter Gould.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Next week's finale is directed by Villigan. Not sure if he is the sole writer, but his episodes are at least pretty visually astounding. So I am looking forward to that.
    TaraC73
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. That head bump came out of nowhere. Defintely wasn't expecting that. 

• GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited April 2016
    Rough watching Jimmy stand there feeling helpless and responsible.
    DummyAmbitiousBukky
    Loved how happy that truck driver was as he was singing along to that song in the opening. 
    TaraC73

Kind of sad that we didn't see Hank and Gomey tonight. Wishful thinking but still.

• JasmynP Washington, DC
    I choked. I literally choked. That is how you do a fucking cliffhanger Walking Dead. I hate Chuck with the heat of 1000 suns, but really?! I'm not sure I'm ready for next week. 
    Dummykingbee67MelonuskAmbitiousBukky
  • tonyp1222 new york
    edited April 2016
    100% agree with this from the AV Club review

I still hear some people say that nothing ever happens on Better Call Saul, or that the story moves too slowly. It’s true that every episode doesn’t feature fireworks, action, or overt conflict (like people yelling at each other). But how can one claim that the series is too slow when consequence almost always follows directly on action? No Chekhov’s ricin cigarette moldering in the pack for a whole season here. At the end of “Fifi,” Mike makes a spike strip; in tonight’s cold open, he puts it to use. Last episode Jimmy doctors the Mesa Verde documents to sabotage Chuck; tonight that bomb goes off in court.

Granted, in the terms set by this show, both those scenes count as unusually heightened drama. More often the crests of BCS’s storylines are are written on the characters’ faces in reaction shots. But just because the action is internal doesn’t mean nothing’s happening. Realizations, decisions, results, realizations, decisions, results—the pace of the plot is unwavering, and it never dithers or doubles back. Once a character has decided on a course of action, the show commits to it mercilessly.
    Frakkin TDummyDaveyMacTaraC73AmbitiousBukkyGeorge
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Boston MA
    @tonyp1222 100%-- This show is near flawless, and such a joy to watch.
    TaraC73

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• Was Mike using Chekov's Blue 1990 Pontiac Bonneville in that truck robbery? Is that why they showed it to us?
  • I'm honestly not sure what I'm more surprised by. Chuck hitting his head on the counter at mach speed or Kim sticking up for Jimmy while knowing what he did. I'm still torn on whether she did that because she loves Jimmy or because she's a shark now. Either way, I'll be sad when this show leaves me again. 
    Doctor_NickTaraC73AmbitiousBukky
  • edited April 2016
    Kim joining the dark side was really satisfying.  They earned that moment with everything she's been through and I can't wait for what's next.  Also, when Jimmy and Kim leave Chuck's house after all the 61-16 arguments, you can see in the background that Chuck lives on 16th street.  I see what you did there Vince.  This show can be great sometimes.
    brewseveltTaraC73AmbitiousBukky
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Probably my second favorite episode of the whole series, absolutely fantastic.
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • Kim_EKim_E Atlanta
    There's something so satisfying and cathartic about watching a character you love stand up for another character you love. Add the layers of character complexity in the relationships between Kim and Jimmy, Jimmy and Chuck, and hell even Kim and Chuck, and that scene went from pure satisfaction to "Fuck, did Kim just break bad. What's next?" in about half a second.

Even though their plots are very separate right now, I thought Mike and Jimmy's stories of half-measures and undermined victories really dovetailed beautifully.

Favorite shot of the episode: Jimmy and kid Kubrick and gang doing their Abbey Road impression. I wonder if by the time Jimmy's commercial airs, it will be for "Saul Goodman"? It seems soon for that, but the imagery of the commercial is just so very Saul.
    DaveyMacAmbitiousBukky
  • I love the parallel between where this episode left Jimmy, and where BrBd's second seasons' penultimate episode left Walt--does he do the right thing, or the right thing for his ambition?

I totally agree with the general idea that the Villigang has built upon their BrBd experience to craft a show that is not the same exact type of show, but is the same impeccable attention to detail. You have to wonder what might come after BCS... :)
    TaraC73
  • edited April 2016
    I love the parallel between where this episode left Jimmy, and where BrBd's second seasons' penultimate episode left Walt--does he do the right thing, or the right thing for his ambition?

I totally agree with the general idea that the Villigang has built upon their BrBd experience to craft a show that is not the same exact type of show, but showcases the same impeccable attention to detail. You have to wonder what might come after BCS... :)
  • Whoa. I had high expectations going into this one, as this is the same time last year we got Pimento, the best episode of season 1. I was not disappointed - this was an amazing episode. Mike's realisation that despite him trying to avoid killing anyone, he indirectly caused an innocent person's death reminded me of the Morgalizing plotline from The Walking Dead, except done right. Not to mention the final scene with Chuck. Really looking forward to the finale next week, but at the same time I'm not ready for this show to be gone for a whole year again.
    AntManBeeksa1001DaveyMacTaraC73AmbitiousBukky
    I said, "This is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I do not say that lightly."
  • Kim_E said:

Favorite shot of the episode: Jimmy and kid Kubrick and gang doing their Abbey Road impression. I wonder if by the time Jimmy's commercial airs, it will be for "Saul Goodman"? It seems soon for that, but the imagery of the commercial is just so very Saul.

I was thinking the same thing there. Very Saul Goodman. :)
    adobo1148
  • For this episode, I didn't feel too much sympathy for Chuck at the end, even when he smacked his dead.  Probably because I think he's going to be fine because his character is very interesting for the show to have and can't believe he's going to be killed off this soon.  But even if Chuck's head thump is worse than I expect, I still think that Chuck ultimately did this to himself.  Mainly because he was so obsessed that he had to be right (about suspecting Jimmy altered the numbers) that he caused this to happen to himself.  In actuality, I actually thought that Chuck was going to go "blank" and start violently attacking the copy worker guy.

As for Mike, I really had to laugh at how calm he was being with Nacho (especially when Nacho grabbed for his gun).  Not sure if Mike was actually armed or not (but probably was) but it just made me laugh at how even balanced Mike remained.  However, as mentioned, you could definitely feel part of Mike's sorrow when he realized that a completely innocent person got killed just because they happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and decided to help someone out.

Also, big kudos to Kim for at least asking Chuck for actual proof/evidence.  Even though she knows that Jimmy probably did what Chuck is accusing him of, she still stuck up for Jimmy in front of Chuck.  Although, if I was Jimmy and Chuck dropped the "you betrayed me" line, I think I would have fired back that Chuck betrayed Jimmy in stopping him from joining HHM.

Final thought- I understand the last scene with regards to Kim telling Jimmy he better cover his tracks and Chuck being obsessed enough to go track down any/all copy stores in the surrounding areas, but even if Chuck can prove that Jimmy was there that night, it still doesn't technically prove what Jimmy was actually doing there.  Unless they have visual evidence of him holding the files or copying/altering the files, it won't technically prove that Jimmy is guilty of forgery.  Yes, I understand it's corroborating evidence to go along with Chuck's suspicion, but is it enough to be determined actual proof?  I guess maybe that's where "Legal Talk" might help out.

adobo1148TaraC73AmbitiousBukky
  • mike_k Sunnyvale CA
    Kim_E said:

I wonder if by the time Jimmy's commercial airs, it will be for "Saul Goodman"? It seems soon for that, but the imagery of the commercial is just so very Saul.

For sure.  The theme of the commercial doesn't really fit with the rest of the plotline unless he transitions into Saul.  Think about it - Chuck bangs his head and maybe dies and Jimmy puts on some cheezy commercial - it doesn't fit.  Something is gonna go down that will drive Jimmy to become Saul and a colorful commercial airs as we fade out of Season 2.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. That head bump came out of nowhere. Defintely wasn't expecting that. 

I was kind of expecting a heart attack (of course earlier on when Hector was freaking out I was expecting a stroke).

Now when Chuck confronted Kim and Jimmy in his home, he wanted Kim to report Jimmy.  He didn't offer to make a joint complaint, or to back her in any way.

Believe what she may, what was Kim to do in that situation?  Chuck seemed to put the onus on her to report him, with offering zero evidence, as to keep himself free from scuttlebutt if the accusation didn't hold.
    ghm3AmbitiousBukky
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • I'm now remembering the scene with Chuck and Kim, and how Chuck was sure that Jimmy was stealing money from their father. Chuck made it seem like that's what killed their father and nobody cried harder at the funeral than Jimmy. Maybe Chuck does die and Jimmy then feels like he's killed both his brother and father. I know it wasn't only Jimmy that was taking money and that he was being conned from random drifters, but that doesn't mean Jimmy couldn't feel guilty about not stopping it. Jimmy crying at Chuck's funeral would be a truly heartbreaking thing to see, but something I could see happening. 
    TaraC73
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited April 2016
    I think that when asked what happened the clerk at the copy place might mess up the story and jimmy's deeds might come to light. If they did it might be the reason he has to change his name. His rep if any and his standing with the state law bar might be damaged to the point that the only way is going full Saul Goodman.
  • NAILED this episode. I can't imagine better casting for Kim than Rhea Seehorn, and I love GredalBee's comment about Kim moving to the dark side. Mostly I'm amazed that the actors/directors can relay so much emotion with the tiniest of movements and expressions. Can't imagine this show can get better.
    TaraC73AmbitiousBukky
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    What an amazing episode.

Was I the only one who 1/2 expected Mike to shoot Nacho in the back (half measures and all)

Sad that the good samaritan got shot in the face.

That passive involvement Kim took in bed was my favorite scene. Poor Jimmy thinking he was getting cozy for a nice night of sleep, and her all too subtlety informing him about crossing those t's and dotting those i's. She was too fucking cool and I loved it.
    TaraC73elgat0
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

Final thought- I understand the last scene with regards to Kim telling Jimmy he better cover his tracks and Chuck being obsessed enough to go track down any/all copy stores in the surrounding areas, but even if Chuck can prove that Jimmy was there that night, it still doesn't technically prove what Jimmy was actually doing there.  Unless they have visual evidence of him holding the files or copying/altering the files, it won't technically prove that Jimmy is guilty of forgery.  Yes, I understand it's corroborating evidence to go along with Chuck's suspicion, but is it enough to be determined actual proof?  I guess maybe that's where "Legal Talk" might help out.

I don't think this was a legal issue at this point. Simply Chuck being a bulldog and needing to confirm his beliefs. He would have most likely never left it alone, but I doubt w/o a smoking gun of the documents in hand, Jimmy was free and clear.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited April 2016
    Kim blew me away this episode. Expertly written by the Gilligang and superbly performed by Rhea Seehorn, Kim has firmly established herself as the anti-Skyler White. It is awesome to see her develop into a powerful and nuanced character.
    Melia004MelonuskAmbitiousBukky

• ksa1001 said:

I don't think this was a legal issue at this point. Simply Chuck being a bulldog and needing to confirm his beliefs. He would have most likely never left it alone, but I doubt w/o a smoking gun of the documents in hand, Jimmy was free and clear.

@ksa1001, I understand.  However, it was more about if Chuck was going to go forward with this and actually have charges filed against Jimmy, then I'm questioning how much this "evidence" would come into play.  Yes, you can prove that Jimmy sent the other guy home and then Jimmy left the house and went to this copying shop but how do you prove what exactly he was copying/doing there.  I realize Chuck is obsessed with this because he doesn't feel that he could make a mistake like this and therefore it has to be Jimmy's doing.                      
  • I loved Kim this episode. Her character seems so real, and I was both excited for her and sad that it was tarnished. Her words to Chuck were great, she feels bad for Chuck and Jimmy.
    Melonusk
  • DStarDStar Portland, OR
    I was so certain uncle tio was gonna have his stroke while Mike was giving a little smirk and watching on from his car. I thought "oh no this is where it happens" but no the villigang misdirected that shit and totally had Chuck go down for the count instead! What a great way to circumvent our expectations and use those cameos that bug Jim so much to provide additional tension for BB fans. Love it!
    TaraC73
  • Great episode, I especially really liked how perfectly gray the situation with Kim was. On one hand GrendalBee isn't wrong saying she joined the dark side, but at the same time she did absolutely nothing wrong. Chuck can't offer a sliver of evidence, yet she also knows Jimmy enough to know that deep down he is probably right. Still, she did nothing wrong and there is no evidence that Jimmy did either, so to do what Chuck wants (while he conveniently stays in the shadows completely clear of official involvement) is ridiculous at this point.

And boy do we see just how much more pig fucking Chuck is capable of, holy shit. This pompous asshole is directly telling his clients to their faces that they're wrong about what address their own goddamn office is?? Seriously? How much of a colossal arrogant prick must you be to do something like that? Enough of one that, for me at least, even though we know he's 100% correct about his speculation with Jimmy, I have absolutely no sympathy for him.

As for Mike, the driver saw his blue car parked behind the billboard. I don't recall if we've seen this car before or if it's just a POS he used for just this job, his regular car is totally different no? Is the blue car what he always does his surveillance in? If so that will likely be a problem for Mike. 
    CoryMelonuskAmbitiousBukky