The Officially Unofficial Christmas Movies Thread!

Every year around Christmas there's several holiday movies I like to watch. Here's my list:

Bad Santa (2003) - Awesome hard-R rated Christmas-themed black comedy. RIP John Ritter & Bernie Mac.
Home Alone (1990) - Timeless classic down to the wonderful score
A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas (2011) - Surprisingly funny for a third iteration
A Christmas Story (1983) - Ra ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra
Die Hard (1988) - Fuckin' California
Love Actually (2003) - The few cringe-worthy scenes are made up for with an overall really well-written story loosely intertwining the ensemble cast. And holy sweet baby Christmas Keira Knightley is impossibly hot in this movie.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - Okay so this is the biggest stretch to classify as a 'Christmas' movie; it's not really, it just takes place in December. Great movie though, really witty and only in love with itself the perfect amount without going full Wes Anderson.

A few honorable mentions that I like but don't watch as frequently anymore: White Christmas, It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol (1951 version).

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    This is the first year in a long time I'm not planning to watch any Christmas movies - I've seen them all too many times and I have reached saturation, I think. But for the record, my favourites are Elf, A Christmas Story and The Ref, and I could spend about four hours explaining all the reasons I haaaate Love, Actually.

One old school movie I loved as a kid but haven't seen in years is Miracle on 34th Street, the one with Natalie Wood as the little girl. I wonder if it still holds up or if it's better in my memories.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I love Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! It does take place at Christmas time. For anyone unfamiliar, it is a great tongue-in-cheek blend of hard-boiled detective noir, buddy cop movie, rom com, fish-out-of-water story, and of course, Hollywood satire. I do have a hard time buying Robert Downey, Jr. as a dumb person because he still has that snappy patter (although he's as funny as ever), but Val Kilmer as a gay tough-as-nails detective is priceless.

I might watch that, and/or Die Hard and/or When Harry Met Sally, which is something of a Christmas tradition here.
  • Scrooged is my all-time favorite Christmas movie. Also, while it's not really a Christmas movie, Batman Returns does take during the holiday season. I love to watch that during Christmas time.
  • An older relative told me over Christmas that Die Hard was originally released in the summer! Is this true? Always had it down as a Christmas movie.
  • Tom said:

An older relative told me over Christmas that Die Hard was originally released in the summer! Is this true? Always had it down as a Christmas movie.

Crazy, that is totally true. It was released in July.
    Despite that though, it is set with a Christmas party backdrop and I say Christmas movie! I've been saying for years that it's the best Christmas movie of all time, and I'm not going to stop now. Release date be damned!

Also, a little love for Emmit Otter? The Riverbottom Nightmare Band? That one is a total staple in my family.

I finally saw Scrooged a couple of years ago and really liked it a lot. I have no idea why it took me so long to see it, but even with all of the time passed and expectations, I was not let down. Elf is really great as well.

• Crazy, that is totally true. It was released in July.
    Despite that though, it is set with a Christmas party backdrop and I say Christmas movie! I've been saying for years that it's the best Christmas movie of all time, and I'm not going to stop now. Release date be damned!

:D Thanks... Would love to hear the reasoning behind a summer release! Defo still a Christmas movie for me as well.
  • @Tom‌ Well it's still a summer blockbuster at its core. Now days there seems to be plenty of expensive movies being released end of year, seemingly usually for Oscar bait purposes, but that seems to mostly be a trend in the last 10-15 years or so, I doubt it was really a thing yet in the '80s.
  • @AntManBee‌ Scrooged is definitely on my Christmas List. Along with Home Alone for the lil guy and also The Ref, love that one.