Netflix does let you turn off auto-play

After hearing the latest Daredevil 'cast:

I don't know why this is never explained in any of the mobile/console/smart TV apps, but in a PC browser, Netflix does have an option to turn on or off Auto-Play. It applied to every device I use, and now the only time I seem to get any sort of automatic playback is when I go into the "middle" menu for a show, between the main Netflix menu and the More Episodes menu (the M.E. menu no longer auto-plays).

Also, I am not sure if it is common knowledge, but if you are on the Main Netflix menu and press Play/Start (depending on the device), Netflix will automatically start where you left off, whether that be in the middle of an episode, or with the next...

Comments

• The middle menu auto play is the most irritating one, in my opinion.  It really bothers me that I can't just check out the details of the movie without it starting to play in the background. At least give us the option to switch it off, if we want.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That helps, but it is indeed the middle preview that seems to be the most rage inducing, and I don't even really know why, because it really doesn't fundamentally affect the interaction you're having. It just feels pushy.
  • The middle preview is the one I'm talking about.  It keeps me from reading the real descriptions of movies instead of Netflix's snarky / overly-clever mini-descriptions.  Worst. Feature. Ever.
  • I suppose the best I can offer is slightly less irritation. I definitely would love to petition Netflix about their whole menu; not only auto-plays but just how much of a pain it is to search for things you aren't already considering...
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Holy shit--Netflix has lost its fucking mind. If you go there (at least right now) and are in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt section there is an icon next to where you would add it to your list labeled "Kimmy-FY". If you click it, it "Kimmy-fies" your Netflix page with sparkles following your pointer and a  completely new color scheme. Very Google of you, Netflix.
    Melia004