Do You Live in A Bubble? A Quiz

Not that relevant to those of you outside the U.S. I'm afraid but you may find it kinda interesting nonetheless.

The questions are a bit odd(ly) specific at times but the goal is to assess how in-line your living experiences are with 'most' Americans. 

I got a 17, which seems way artificially low (and I am definitely not upper middle class, at least not for where I live), though I did answer all the questions accurately so I dunno. It's all kinda BS but I found it interesting regardless.
Dummypavlovsbell

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I got a 34 but I think it's only cause I lived in Oakland for a few years. My bubble is strong.
    pavlovsbell
  • Wow, 43. Seems high considering most people refer to Utah County as "the bubble." It must be all that blue collar experience from BYU grounds crew...
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Well, that was depressing. I am appropriately ashamed of my score (2). I was literally elated that to get the Jimmie Johnson question ("I know a football thing!"), until I noticed the spelling and realized that I do not know who Jimmie Johnson is. And there, I just demonstrated why I scored a 2. I do agree it's kinda BS. I don't have to consume mainstream media to have an awareness of or even familiarity with it, nor does the fact that I personally have not experienced poverty or walked on a factory floor mean that I "have little idea what life is like in an ordinary working-class or middle-class neighborhood." You don't know me, Charles Murray!

Now if you will excuse me, I have to remotely set my DVR to record the French series, The Last Panthers, on Sundance and then bang my privileged head on my insulated bubble.

Thank you for posting that, @ghm3.
    ghm3
  • edited April 2016
    I scored a 50 which puts me on the upper side of the bubble. Honestly, it might even be a little low. I wonder what my score would have been if I watch shitty broadcast tv? Anyway, cool quiz. 
    pavlovsbell
    @pavlovsbell   If you don't watch Big Bang Theory you will never understand the plight of the common man apparently
    pavlovsbellbrewseveltTravis
  • @pavlovsbell Aww you're every bit the snobby elitist hipster New Yorker I've always imagined you to be! :p

pavlovsbell
    @bizmarkiefader Yeah, what was that category supposed to represent, a cross-section of network television? What if you're so poor that you don't have a television, or perhaps you do have one but not the time to watch it because you have to work 2-3 jobs to put food on the table, Charles Murray?* Huh, what about those people, are they living in a privilege bubble, Charles Murray?

*They do, however, have the opportunity and time to take PBS quizzes, obvi.
    @pavlovsbell ; Or what if you're poor but you don't have terrible taste in TV?
    pavlovsbellS. Smith
  • got a 47. which is pretty much right. im just average...haha
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands

• 35. Middle class as helllllllllll
  • edited April 2016

Or what if you're poor but you don't have terrible taste in TV?

Then you score a 50 
  • 60. Does having the highest score mean I win something?
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Interesting! I got a 45, which seems accurate. :)
    ghm3 said:

@pavlovsbell Aww you're every bit the snobby elitist hipster New Yorker I've always imagined you to be! :p

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the artisanal ice clinking in my Dark and Stormy while I tap my perfectly distressed vintage paratrooper boots to the improvised bluegrass of my musician friends who just popped by. 
    Dummyghm3bizmarkiefaderS. Smith
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    Got a 31, which I'd say is pretty accurate. Funny enough, I grew up in one of the "bubbliest" zip codes, according to this study, which would imply my parents are less middle class than I thought. But then, Brooklyn of the 80s was extremely different from what it's considered to be now.
  • 35, but there were no questions about Beethoven sonatas, antique rapiers, or single malt scotch.
    pavlovsbell
  • MichelleMichelle California
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
  • edited April 2016
    @pavlovsbell I wore those back in high school before they were cool. That's like, proto-hipster cred right there

Oh and I was totally expecting you to correct me that you live in Brooklyn thank me very much and aren't just some generic proletariat New Yorker.
    pavlovsbell
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited April 2016
    45 near the middle. I have started watching the show the Middle this year. What does it all mean? Some of the question seem weird to judge a person by. I know who Jimmie Johnson is because I have seen the sports report on the news. I live in a area where most of the people don't have a higher education but go over a couple blocks and everyone has. My father was a lawyer but he was a tax lawyer and was just another cog in some giant oil company. I just wanna maintain my rep as "salt of the mutha f'n earth!" Also I do drink domestic beer(Miller Lite) because I hate that hipster shitty tasting ale piss. Is that stuff even beer? Blue Moon my ass drink a fuckin Coors, God damm kids, get off the lawn!
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited April 2016
    I scored a 70, probably the fact that I live in a depressed rural area and enjoy both pickup trucks and fishing is what tipped the scales.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Michelle said:

Same for me...maybe its because we are both in California.
    Michelle
  • 33 and I suppose it makes sense, actually I thought I would come out lower than that (my lifetime of area codes are about as bubble-y as they come). I was a little pissed that they isolated the TV shows to 2014-15. It's not my fault that I gave up on Shonda about 3 years ago instead of 2. I put in my time dammit!
    pavlovsbell
  • Kim_EKim_E Atlanta
    51. The reasoning seemed pretty accurate. Grew up rural, working class but moved to the city when I was older. Plus: I watch most of the ShondaLand shows and I'm not afraid to admit it.
  • I did this quiz out of curiosity, even though I'm European. Got a 37 and find the description to this score to be very inaccurate for me. I do wonder how much the individual questions count and what exactly is the reasoning behind them. For example the Avon question, I bought something once in high school because one of my classmate's mom was an Avon lady and she just wouldn't leave me alone until I tried it. So I said yes but this probably gave me the same score as someone who's bought products all their life. Same with many other questions. So, I don't know.

Also, Branson made me think of Downton Abbey, so the "no idea" answer was a lie. :D
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @Reni it was mostly a quiz that from my experience tests geographically you are in the US. Almost all professional white coller jobs tend to be in large cities. The typical situation is for if one wants to be upper class, you need to go to university and then move to a big metropolitan area. All this test does is try to determine how much of that rural American culture you retain.
  • MichelleMichelle California

Michelle said:

Same for me...maybe its because we are both in California.
    Good point.
  • @Luke I get that, but it's mostly the same in Europe. Everything downscaled in size, but the rural area vs. cities thing is nearly the same, and every country has the same trashy reality shows and talk shows as well. So substituting those, it could easily apply to other countries I guess.