Orphan Black Season 4

DrewDrew indianapolis
Any Clone Club members here? First episode this season was pretty cool, I think Felixs cameo was ham fisted, I mean he and Sarah lived that close to Beth and never ran into her? Is the fact that we didn't see up until Beth's death mean we have more flashbacks? It's cool they've been able to bring back the neolutionists and make them seem like a super scary threat after the comical male clone story last season. Also can't wait to see more Helena, Donny, Alison.
DeeElisa

Comments

• I haven't seen the new episode yet as I wasn't even aware it was coming back, but I'll check it out soon.
    Frankly @Drew I'm not entirely sure that you're not me, maybe I sleepwalk and come to the forums under an alias and then can't remember, because you're just in every. single. thread. for every show that I watch :P Just in case you're a real person I'd like to compliment you on your excellent taste in television, haha.
    ElisaDrew
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I love this show - l almost didn't bother watching it because sci fi is not my bag, but my daughter wanted to check it out and we ended up binge-watching the first three seasons in a couple of weeks. Tatiana Maslany is bonkers awesome the way she injects such distinctly different mannerisms and speech patterns into each clone.

The first ep back was interesting, as we got to see how Beth ended up suicidal. I did miss Helena, though - she and Alison are my favourite clones.
    ElisaReniDrewmanhattnik
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    This show is my jam. I love how this show is so fast paced from the get go. I
    Hope to get more into the science of cloning this season. Tat Maslany is amazing.
    Drew
  • Finally watched it and really liked seeing more of Beth. I don't think there will be much more of her, because we know that Sarah took over her identity just before her hearing with IA. Tatiana Maslany is so freakin' amazing, even from this one episode you get so much of Beth that you can totally understand why she killed herself, she was in a real bad way even before the murder.
    Tatiana's performance in Orphan Black is simply unparallelled in film history, I just don't understand how she is not swimming in Emmys and Golden Globes already.
    I agree though that the Felix cameo felt forced and was unnecessary. Looking forward to seeing the old crew again next week and can't wait to find out more about Mika. Any idea where she's from, what kind of accent was that?
    I'm kind of creeped out by this season already. Body modifications freak me out even irl, even the milder ones. *shudders*

ElisaDrew
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I thought German.
  • @Elise But there already was a German one (Katja I think?) and she had a totally different accent. Mika is also not a very German-sounding name. I don't know, definitely not a strong enough accent to be Eastern-European but also not from one of the big countries like France or Italy... then again she lives in the US so could have lost most of her original accent.
    Elisa
  • edited April 2016
    Okay I think I know now, I saw it on a different forum. Apparently there are Orphan Black comics (how the hell did I not know this????) and in it (highlight to reveal - in case anyone wants to avoid comics spoilers) they describe an event in Helsinki where they exterminated all the Leda clones. Apparently MK is a survivor of that. So she's Finnish.

Man I gotta get my hands on those comics...
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 2016
    I think going back to tell the story that led to Beth's demise was a great way to kick off the season. Very cool to see Tatiana get to really inhabit that character and tell more of her story.

I only watched a minute of that after show thing, but they did mention that Bjork was an inspiration for MK.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Damn @Reni i can't highlight on my phone. But from the Bjork comment can I assume MK is from Iceland?
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @reni great minds think alike.

Yeah the season seems like it's going for a creepy tone, I'm wondering what kind of time gap we have here if the Neolutionists already found Sarah and that crew.

Tatiana is awesome, I agree she doesn't get enough attention for all the work she does on this show. Also it seems like Better Call Saul has taken Michael Mando away from the show for good so I'll miss Vic popping up here and there.
    Elisa
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    *sees this on forums*

Me: ORPHAN BLACK CAME BACK!?!?!

*runs to computer to watch*

But yeah, it was a good way to return. The Felix cameo was a bit "up the nose", but otherwise, I still get amazed at the different performances Tatiana can do. Next week's Helena shenanigans also look great.
    I, for one, will not miss Vic in the show. Every time they pushed him on screen it made me groan. Sure, it might be their intention to make him annoying, but it just got too much. 
    More Mike Ross on the other hand would be great...
    I'm still riding my theory that Felix has been a double agent the whole time. It may be tinfoil, but still!
    Elisa
  • @Elisa In the comics she's from Finland.

I don't miss Vic either, something about him irritated me. Nacho is also a much better role for Michael Mando, I really like him on BCS. I guess it's still possible he'll make short appearances on Orphan Black.
    NathanElisa
  • I thought season 3 was pretty awful.  Is season 4 any better? Helena, the best sestra, is always worth watching.
    Drewmanhattnik
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @GredalBee a little to early to tell, but the first episode was very good
    Elisa
  • @Gredalbee It looks like this season will focus on the Neolutionists, so if you like that, check it out. But there's only been one episode so far. It was entirely a flashback about Beth, so it connects a lot to season one.
    I also thought season 3 was the weakest, I hope they can turn it around.
    Drew
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    I still don't know what exactly happened in season three. It was so convoluted that afterwhile I just couldn't keep track. I'm hoping season four will be a little more focused.
    DrewNathan
  • Anyone catch the new episode yet? I thought it was really good, although I'll admit Kira ruins every scene for me. I know it's an awful thing to say about a child but she's a terrible actress. She has one facial expression and her mouth is hanging open all the time. And I don't buy that there's any real connection there with Sarah either, it's not a convincing mother-daughter relationship. I think the writers know she's an absolute weak point which is why they keep her off-screen as much as possible.
    It was so good to see some of the old gang, especially Helena, I'm thrilled for her having twins. So intrigued about MK and what Beth was doing in the blonde wig. The maggot is fucking creepy, and I'm not sure I understand what went down at the laundrette. Were they working looking for another clone that was not implanted? And were they going to implant her or kill her? And since they knew from the implant that it was Sarah, is she the only one that has one? Why?!
    Drew
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    I think they were looking for MK. Although how hard would it be to find an exceptionally decrepit beater driven by someone in a rabbit mask?
    ElisaDrew
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    Great first two series. The third circled around. S4 E1 was largely good, but again retconned S1 - Beth and Art? Makes S1 E1 odd for his reactions. But really this is just a good show with an amazing central performance(s) from Maslany.
    Elisa
  • I don't know. I haven't really liked this season. It is starting to feel a lot like late season X-files with the retcons to make already solved conspiracies even bigger.
    "Where's Cal?"

"Sorry honey, he's off hunting for the Mother of Dragons"
    ReniStephsstacksunread
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I thought it was a sheep mask - you know Dolly the clone. And yes they were looking for MK. The second episode was a lot of set up not as solid as the premiere but still good. Love the Helena scenes with Donnie. I also like the Felix story searching for his birth mother and feeling an outsider. The maggot has call backs to Delphine and Dyad.
    manhattnik
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    More Helena please! Although my heart belongs to the one true Queen of the clones Alison. Alison, Donnie, and Helena have the Mike problem in BCS where they feel like they are on a completely other show, and that show to me is more interesting and fun to watch than the one involved in the main plot line.

Agreed with @reni about Kira. They've also been teasing her having powers to fucking long, either give it a definitive answer on if she has powers and what they are or not, but 4 seasons of teasing is stretching it.

The entire sequence at the laundry from Sarah arriving to the neolutionists coming in was awesome. Also kind of predicted we would see more Beth but pretty sure that's the end of it although I would be cool with one more episode spliced with flashbacks just so we can get Beth's side of things right before she died, as in her reaction to seeing Sarah because as I recall it didn't even phase her in the pilot.
    ElisaNathanDee
  • Think we got a definitive answer now to Kira's powers @drew. Short of turning her into an actual fish, I guess falling into a trance-like condition is the best the writers could do with that mouth. I wonder if her visions will come true and what they even mean. Surely not actual fire?!

"Can I offer you some breads?" Helena is so freaking adorable. Hard to think she's part-time assassin. Dr. Leekie's corpse was more disgusting than any zombie in the history of The Walking Dead. Not sure what the point of bringing on Felix's sister is, she's not likeable at all. I kind of hope they make her a double agent to neolutionists, because I feel like that's the best they can do with her character. Just having a disbarred junkie lawyer is pointless.
    Drewmanhattnik
  • Oh my gosh, that worm in Sarah's mouth totally freaks me out! And then when they dug up the Dr's body ... the worm in his mouth seemed bigger/grosser, like it's grown. Yikes!
    Elisa
  • @April_May_June Didn't they say that when it's implanted it's the size of a grain of sand? I wonder just how big it can grow... *shudders*
    Elisa
  • Yes, and Sarah's appears very small.
    And then the one that 'exploded', and all those tendrils shot out of it?!
    Again ... yikes!!!
    Elisa
    Getting a little sick of Sarah being angry just cause Felix is tired of being abandoned. People DO have lives outside of Clone Club!

This really felt like Orphan Black getting back into things again. Alison plots seem to be everything I usually wouldn't like in a show, and yet here it just works for me.

I too felt a pang of sadness when Helena said she didn't want her kids to grow up like her. What a great tortured character.

Ferdinand is still a wild card, both in terms of motivation, allegiance and whether I buy his character.

ElisaStephsstacks
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited May 2016
    @reni I disagree about Felix's sister. I didn't find her likeable per se but everyone we've been introduced to in this show that was played straight turned out to be some undercover something, it would be kind of nice to just have someone that's sincere. In the end she probably will end up as some threat that Sarah has to save Felix from which will make him see who his true family is and blah blah blah, I hope it's not that predictable.

Alison continues to be my favorite clone, her jumping up after the Skype call with Cosima when Donnie started to get sick again tickled me. The scene with Helena and Sarah on the phone was touching but I couldn't help but laugh everytime they cut to Helena and you could see the Dorito path through the family room and her surrounded by all her snacks.

The character development of Helena has been so good. It's hard to think that in season 1 she was the big bad and now I couldn't ever even envision her not a part of the Clone Club.

I'm glad they've kept Rachel as an adversary to the other clones as opposed having her join them. I'm very intrigued with where her story is going and her still communicating with Ferdinand.
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I was waiting to see if anyone would post about last weeks episode but since no one has I'm going to bump the thread.

This season so far has been impressive, I've enjoyed the mystery surrounding MK and I'm enjoying the neolutionists plot very much. This weeks episode however featured some very funny stuff between Felix and Donnie.

I feel like this show rivals Game of Thrones with awesome character pairings you wouldn't expect. The stuff with Donnie and Felix was super funny, Alison and Donnie having phone sex kept it going.

I don't really like the mix in communication between Donnie and Helena but I am curious as to where she's going. I think she'll probably get picked up by the neolutionists.