12 Monkeys Season 2

DrewDrew indianapolis
edited April 2016 in Other TV
One of my favorite new shows of last year 12 Monkeys has finally returned! Anyone else a fan?

First episode was good, I know they sent 6 travelers back and we have to wait and see what their purpose is, but it kind of felt anticlimactic that they took out the leader so quickly after making them seem like a huge threat at the end of the season. That Casiie and Cole stand off was awesome, really didn't expect Cassie to show up but that's time travel for ya.

Also loved the cameo from Brian "Q" Quinn during the speed dating scene, if you don't listen to Tell Em Steve Dave do it!

Anyway let's discuss this awesome show!

Comments

• [suspicion that Drew is actually me sleepwalking intesifies]

I really liked season 1, but haven't checked out this one yet. I feel like it was a really poor decision that they scheduled ep2 3 weeks after the premiere, what's the point of that? So I didn't feel the need to watch it immediately. Also I got my brother hooked on it after season 1 aired. He has a projector so we give the shows we both watch the cinema experience, we get together once or twice a week and see them together. For this reason I'm not always super up-to-date on certain shows, we haven't gotten to this one yet, but I'm curious.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @reni I was seriously going to wait to see if anyone posted this first, I swear!

Wait the next episode isn't for 3 weeks? Or was the 3 week break from when they released the first episode online? Damn I didn't watch episode 1 early because I didn't want a long break in between episodes.
  • @drew Oh, it was an early online release? I didn't realize. I only checked the episode count on IMDb a while back and it said April 4 for the first episode and April 25 for the second. Makes more sense if it aired on tv only now.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Ok yeah last night was the official first airing on tv so it sounds like the 3 weeks was probably the early release online.
  • Season 1 was hit or miss for me, but there are several very strong episodes.  So I think overall it's worth it.  It is currently available to stream on Hulu.  I'll be interested to see where they go in season 2.  I feel like they exhausted a lot of the possibilities of the premise in season 1, so I'm hoping they take the show in some radical direction.  If it's just more bouncing between 2016 and 2043, I'm going to get bored.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    It seems from the season preview that they will be going all over the timeline, there's shots of Cassie and Cole in a 50s/60s era setting so I'm interested to see how that connects but I'm guessing that has something to do with the travelers that were sent back.
  • I'm looking forward to Jay Karnes(Dutch from The Shield) popping up at somepoint. Great start to the season
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Episode 2 anyone? I love how this show plays with time travel, it's just the right amount of twisty, turny logic. I love hard ass Cassie she's so cool, the scene with Ramse telling Deacon about watching him as a kid and saving his mom though was scene of the night.

I'm glad we got to actually see them change the timeline since all of season one everything fit the timeline to a tee.

This episode left me with so many questions though, what is 2044 Jennifer's purpose? What does she want with Cole or is it simply romantic obsession? Cassie and Deacon seem to have bonded a lot in her time in the future, how is that going to continue to change her relationship with Cole? Overall another stellar episode.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • I still enjoy watching this show. It's one that tries hard to keep things in line when dealing with time travel.
  • I finally watched the first two eps. I liked them overall, but I don't like this version of Cassie (didn't like the other version either though lol). I like Jennifer more than I used to. Since I'm Hungarian, I always give every show a little more love when they feature Budapest in it just because (and get equally annoyed when they can't even pronounce it right). I don't go there often but it was bizarre to see that bridge completely empty, since it's probably the busiest one around and is always full of cars and people - no wonder they only got permission to shoot at night.

I am okay with the fact that the start of the plague now shifted, just hope they won't play this card too many times because then it could just go on forever. Really curious to see about them going way back in time now to 1944.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    So this is how the honeymoon ends huh @Reni? The line has been officially drawn here, I can't stand Jennifer personally and Cassie is my favorite and I really love how hard she's gotten. Of course I'm being silly here in case this came across as a weird post.
    Reni
  • Wow @Drew I can't believe you're breaking up with me over a blonde chick. Scandalous! :P
    I wouldn't say I love Jennifer, but I like her more than I used to (which was not at all). Let me put it this way, I find it easier to like someone who had mental issues to begin with and then was abandoned & locked away by her father and then brainwashed by a crazy woman (at least we both hate Olivia, right?), than someone who is now killing people in cold blood.
    Jennifer reminds me a LOT of Helena from Orphan Black, who is also not a 100% right in her brain, was brought up in a nunnery and was later completely brainwashed into having a 'purpose'. And like her, I think (hope) Jennifer will turn to the good side of the fight as well.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Yeah fuck Olivia. I mean I'm really interested to see what Jennifers purpose ends up being in the new timeline, and I don't necessarily even need it to be on the good side or bad, whichever is more interesting to see. My fear really is that she is going to kill Cassie, she could change the timeline at any time and kill her. So I guess my dislike for her could be 100% unjustified but we know they both really hate each other and that has to come to a head at some point.

As for Cassie just murdering people for the hell of it, she did spend almost a year in a world where that's daily life. She was my favorite character last season and all I can say is they would have to really do something to fuck her character up for me to start disliking her. I like that she can now be in on the action instead of being saved or on the sideline while Cole clears out a room of dudes.
  • edited May 2016
    episode 2 was another good one. Their use of time travel is always fun and interesting.  I like Jennifer. I feel like they were unclear what to do with her at first but I think her character could have the some of the most interesting stuff on the show.

After the 1st viewing of every episode I find myself confused by at least 1 thing I saw. This week it seemed like Jennifer was aware of the new timeline. Everybody else that was aware had taken the injections for the time machine. I could be reading her wrong but they also showed her in 2044 doing basically the same thing if I remember correctly, like a sort of weird laugh or face which I took as her remember something from the past all of a sudden.
  • episode 2 was another good one. Their use of time travel is always fun and interesting.  I like Jennifer. I feel like they were unclear what to do with her at first but I think her character could have the some of the most interesting stuff on the show.

After the 1st viewing of every episode I find myself confused by at least 1 thing I saw. This week it seemed like Jennifer was aware of the new timeline. Everybody else that was aware had taken the injections for the time machine. I could be reading her wrong but they also showed her in 2044 doing basically the same thing if I remember correctly, like a sort of weird laugh or face which I took as her remember something from the past all of a sudden.

Can never try to read into someone that is unstable mentally ;) Jennifer as always been in the "know". Her group has had a role in a few events. She may not know that things used to be different, but she knows that time travel exists and who is traveling.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Another awesome episode this week. A few things though, I'm glad that Cassie and Cole are finally working together again. I liked the discussion they had in the hotel, it did have me thinking though, how is Cassie this hard after only 8 months? I like that Cole basically brought her back to a more level head so hopefully she will balance being a bad ass and use more reasoning. I do not like Cassie and Deacons closeness. I hope now that Cole and her came to an understanding that Deacon won't have as much of an impact on her.

I'm very intrigued by the ending here. what will be the long term effects of the paradoxes be to that area other than that just being the red forest. I don't really know how the paradoxes work are they there forever, do they disappear after a time? Is the fact that it's a forest of paradoxes make it why it's important to the lore here?
    KingKobra
  • Really good episode this week. The Red Forest came to life. I always enjoy how well this show respects its rules for time travel. It must be a separate job just keeping it all straight.

Also good to see Erik Knudsen in the episode (liked him in Continuum).
    DrewJovial_Falcon
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @kingkobra I would love to see what kind of spreadsheet or whatever they use to keep track of the timelines and rules they've built for time travel
    KingKobra
  • No activity in here for a while - is anyone still watching this? I really like this season so far, I think the introduction of Primaries was great and is putting a fresh twist on the story instead of rehashing the plague.

Also, I read an article this week that 2 or 3 other networks have picked up time travel shows, so it looks like 12 Monkeys was paving the way.
    DrewJovial_Falcon
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Still watching and loving the season. I was waiting for someone to bump the thread because I felt like my double bumping and constant posting may seem annoying to some.

This weeks episode was good and I enjoyed the Cassie and Jennifer team up, I'm glad we are all on the same page. I always figured the Witness was Cassie's ex boyfriend, I'm pretty sure we didn't know for sure he was the Witness until this week. Last weeks reveal that the Traveller was the mother of the Palad Man was pretty mind blowing.

As for 12 Monkeys paving the way, the new CW show about some viral outbreak uses literally the same art for the season poster that 12 Monkeys did last year with the black and white face in the surgical mask with a red logo on the front.
    ReniKingKobra
  • @Drew Yeah I think I saw that poster because someone was pointing out how similar they were. It's pathetic, really.
    I think a lot of people may not be watching this show because they hold the movie in high regard and think this is a ripoff, but in reality, other than the character's names and the basic premise, it just had marginal similarities in the first season and basically none in the second.

The last episode was really good, and it was so strange but nice to see Jennifer being 'normal'. As I said earlier I really started liking her recently and possibly even more so now. I like that they are not forcing the Cole-as-savior anymore and now it's step aside boy, time to let someone else give it a try. In almost every show once they introduce a main character you know he/she will be safe all along and will be the hero of it all, I don't feel that so strongly with this show now, it's less a main character centric story and more a network/grid of characters, much the same as how time is represented.
    Drew
  • Yes still watching and enjoying this season. I agree on the Traveller reveal. Just don't get to post (or forget to with busy TV weeks).
  • Just finished EP 5. With all the twists that this show pulls off I will hold off on thinking Aaron being the Witness. This season has been fantastic. So glad the Pallid Man is back and in control.

Im curious what will become of Deacon after this EP. I figurd it was an easy write off for him until he came back all bloody as hell(which was awesome). His speech to Rams and Cole was pretty good but I still cant figure him out. I wonder if his feelings towards Cassie is holding him back or if he was genuine when he said he had been waiting for Cole/Ramsey to finally "get it"
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Dude this show is just so damn fun to watch, and not the, it's bad but fun way, in the, this show is really good and very fun to lose yourself in way.

I think you're right @Jovial_Falcon it appears The Witness can change his appearance so maybe he isn't really Aaron? What's with Cassie at the end by the way? Did The Witness tag her like we saw a certain character do in Game of Thrones this week? Can The Witness just teleport to her at will now? Conspiracy theory here, is Cassie The Witness and her visions in her head trying to point that out to her?
    Jovial_Falcon
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Catching up on the show/my backlog the last couple weeks. Dammit the reunion of Jones and Hannah has me crying like a baby. Stop this Cassie/Cole tease, let's get it on. Ramsey's son is going to end up being The Witness isn't he?
    SheIsGeekyKingKobra
  • Drew said:

Ramsey's son is going to end up being The Witness isn't he?

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Drew said:

Catching up on the show/my backlog the last couple weeks. Dammit the reunion of Jones and Hannah has me crying like a baby. Stop this Cassie/Cole tease, let's get it on. Ramsey's son is going to end up being The Witness isn't he?

I thought the same thing until Titan was discussed more. Now I'm not so sure, I'm going to have to watch this past weeks episode again, but there was something there that changed my mind.

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    Damn the intro to 209 is so bad ass. Still 4 episodes left, wish every show would just jump on the 10 episode run already. I was thinking next week was the finale and how packed it would be, but now I know we got a month left of shows to spread around.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Finally Cassie and Cole do the dirty! Man that ending was crazy, I thought for sure we would see who The Witness was. Between last episode and this episode I don't have any clue what season 3 is going to be like. I'm guessing more time travel hijinks next week that bring everyone back to life or we are going to get a whole new cast for next year.
  • @drew they will definitely bring back all the characters that died.  I think if it was permanent then they would have had a cliffhanger on whether or not they would die.

I love watching this show. It's so much fun BUT they are stringing out the Witness too much. It is the only thing 12 monkeys has done that I have not been a fan of. I have no doubt that the Finale will blow my mind just like this show has from day 1. 

If they don't reveal who the Witness is next EP I will be very upset. Even with the Cole and Cassie love sesh at the Witness' house in 59', I still have no idea who the Witness will be so there is still that element of fun
    Drew