Back to the Future

ExtremeSteveExtremeSteve Houston, Texas
A-Ron,

I've gotta say as someone who graduated in 1985, how can you complain about Marty McFly having the same girlfriend in the successful epilauge? Claudia Wells in 1985, yes please. I guess you must have been an Elizabeth Shue guy.

Also Jim, what's wrong with the Toyota truck? I had one in 1985 and I still have it today! 450k miles and I still drive it on rainy days or when I need a truck!

Loved the discussion as always though!
TaraC73

Comments

• This is a topic for another movie, the sequel in fact, but since I'm not sure when or if Back to the Future 2 is going to get the Bald Movies treatment, and it's a question that has burned at me for nearly my whole life, I have to ask it;

Why does Doc take Marty and Jennifer to 2015?!?

Doc says that it's to help Marty's and Jennifer's kids, but unlike going to the past, wouldn't it have been better for Doc to just tell him to be careful with his kids during this time?  Why would Doc risk all of the space-time continuum to do this?  I suppose Doc may be trying to teach Marty a lesson, but again, he risks all of space-time to do it?  There had to be a better plot device to get them to the future than that.  The same movie even explains branching time-lines and what not, so whatever they do means nothing in the long run anyway!

I would love someone to explain this to me in a way that makes sense, because its the biggest plot-hole in all of Back to the Future imo, and I have trouble watching the sequel for mainly that reason.

Anyways, I'm ready to have a good reason be presented, and despite years of forum hopping in search of a decent answer, I haven't found one yet.  Help me Bald Move community!
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Time to throw Back to the Future part 2 on the community commissions sections!
    Toadie
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Toadie said:

This is a topic for another movie, the sequel in fact, but since I'm not sure when or if Back to the Future 2 is going to get the Bald Movies treatment, and it's a question that has burned at me for nearly my whole life, I have to ask it;

Why does Doc take Marty and Jennifer to 2015?!?

Doc says that it's to help Marty's and Jennifer's kids, but unlike going to the past, wouldn't it have been better for Doc to just tell him to be careful with his kids during this time?  Why would Doc risk all of the space-time continuum to do this?  I suppose Doc may be trying to teach Marty a lesson, but again, he risks all of space-time to do it?  There had to be a better plot device to get them to the future than that.  The same movie even explains branching time-lines and what not, so whatever they do means nothing in the long run anyway!

I would love someone to explain this to me in a way that makes sense, because its the biggest plot-hole in all of Back to the Future imo, and I have trouble watching the sequel for mainly that reason.

Anyways, I'm ready to have a good reason be presented, and despite years of forum hopping in search of a decent answer, I haven't found one yet.  Help me Bald Move community!

I can help! So...like many movies that become trilogies and franchises, a sequel wasn't as prominently on the filmmakers minds when completing the first film. Zemeckis had a string of pretty poorly received movies prior to this (until Romancing the Stone, which got him the cred from the studio to finally make BttF), so he was just happy to make this project. They wanted to end the movie with a stinger, something exciting and all of that. So they had the semi-cliffhanger ending of Doc taking Marty & Jennifer to the future. Initially the first movie ended with a "The End?" tagline , where now that has been replaced with a "To Be Continued..." tagline.

They (the writers/filmmakers) hadn't thought of the repercussions of this and the hole they wrote themselves into. They were just trying to end the movie on an exciting note--and thats kind of all there is to it. Of course then when a sequel was announced, they had to go with what they had established in the first film and actually follow through by taking Marty & Jennifer to the future. Its a pretty lame-brained move, considering they just knock Jennifer out anyway. Anyway, all this info I recall from the recent Back to the Future documentary called Back in Time. Its a decent watch!
    Toadie
  • Ha!  So yeah, it was just a bad move and not something thought through then.  That's unfortunate, because I really think it would be super easy to come up with ANYTHING other than that.  It DESTROYS Doc's intelligence IMO, and that really sucks.  

Thanks for the info!

Right--I can accept that he needed an extra hand and wanted to bring Marty along for help. I mean thats problematic too, but I can hand-wave that away because its a movie and they need the leads to be doing adventure stuff together. The Jennifer part is pretty silly. Especially because Doc acts like he is in a massive rush at the end of BttF. What is he rushing for? He literally has control of time and can come and go from the future as he pleases. Its not like he couldn't have waited for Marty to be alone or away from Jennifer. Oh well--I still fucking love all three of those movies, blemishes and all.
    ToadieDStar
  • Oh, I do too.  I love these movies like my own kids (which I don't have :P) but part 2 and 3 hinge on this premise that Doc and Marty (with Jennifer just shoe-horned in) need to go on a mission to save his kids, which in turn spirals out of control, but it's a mission that never, ever needed to happen to begin with.  It's lazy writing, that even with the unfortunate baggage of the first's ending, could have been made much better.  I mean, in all honesty, a lot of people put part 3 as the worst, but my complaints, along with some of the Biff stuff in 2, make it by far the worst imo.  

Regardless, part 2 is the first film I remember ever seeing, so it holds a special place in my heart and head, but its tough to get past that premise.  :/
  • From having seen this movie millions of times, I can tell you off the top of my head that the phone number on the flyer was Jennifers' grandmas'...

• I always assumed that they could tell that the clock tower had been struck by lightning right as the minute hand clicked to :04. They specifically show the bolt hitting right after the tick of the minute...

• I think it was left intentionally vague as to why the DeLorean stalled on Marty as the alarm clock was going off, going back to the elaborate miniature scene where Doc lays out the plan to Marty. He explains that Marty will "...accelerate to 88 miles per hour", so as Jim pointed out, Marty may have exceeded 88 mph, inadvertently making up the lost time.

• I listened to Crispin Glover's appearance on the WTF podcast, and it was kind of mind-blowing that his likeness was used in BttF2 *without his consent*. They literally used the cast of his face that they had used for 48-year-old George McFly in the first movie on a look-alike actor.

• If you'll recall, as Doc explained Lorraine's condition to Marty, he described "Florence Nightingale Syndrome", meaning she was attracted to situations where she'd nurse a man back to health (I suppose?), so maybe she would in fact be even more attracted to a man that uncontrollably shits his pants :)
    A_Ron_HubbardJim
  • I really really REALLY hope you guys do a podcast on Back to the Future 2 (feel free to skip 3), if only you can offer trenchant analysis on the double-knot tie, Lorraine's fake boobs, and Billy Zane's cameo.

Remember YOU NEED POWAH!!!!!!
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Not to mention your thoughts on Jaws 19, 12oz Pepsi costing like 20 bucks and the hip style in 2015 is wearing your pants inside out. oh and we can predict weather to the second! amazing! if only the post office was as efficient as the weather service.
    kojiattwood
    Melia004 said:

• I listened to Crispin Glover's appearance on the WTF podcast, and it was kind of mind-blowing that his likeness was used in BttF2 *without his consent*. They literally used the cast of his face that they had used for 48-year-old George McFly in the first movie on a look-alike actor.

Holy cow. This is bananas. I wonder what the nuts and bolts of this would be if he chose to press the issue. Could he sue? I am sure he has some legal leg to stand on considering how many stupid law suits are filed.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'll work on getting the BTTF sequels into the community commissions section today.

Put me in the "part 3 is heads and shoulders better than part 2" camp.  I've recently seen both, and Part 3 holds up because it gives Doc a lot more to do, and a happy ending, and Lloyd and Steenbergen have really good chemistry, and the train action sequence is very tight. 
    Toadiebrewsevelt
  • Put me in the "part 3 is heads and shoulders better than part 2" camp.  I've recently seen both, and Part 3 holds up because it gives Doc a lot more to do, and a happy ending, and Lloyd and Steenbergen have really good chemistry, and the train action sequence is very tight. 

I agree. But Part 2 is Mr. Robot's favorite movie, so it's got that going for it, which is nice. :)
    adobo1148
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I have mentioned it in other post in the forums but I lived across from the mall where they filmed. I went to the set and had a look see when I was in high school. My second job was at the gas station in the corner of the lot behind the trees. I also worked for the department store in the white building, Robinsons, now a Macy's. But after all these years I can barley watch that movie I have seen it not lot times but I think it is just one I have seen one too many. One weird fact I remember about the movie was that McDonalds owned the distribution rights to the movie durning a promo when they were giving VHS tapes and you couldn't buy it in stores for a number of years.
    Damn a two hour cast, was that a record for a Bald Movie cast. I guess you could say they liked it just by the time devoted to it.
  • After repeated viewings, part 3 has some charm initially but quickly fades, while 2 just gains in enjoyment, imo.
  • edited April 2016

• edited April 2016

I'll work on getting the BTTF sequels into the community commissions section today.

Put me in the "part 3 is heads and shoulders better than part 2" camp.  I've recently seen both, and Part 3 holds up because it gives Doc a lot more to do, and a happy ending, and Lloyd and Steenbergen have really good chemistry, and the train action sequence is very tight. 
    Plus its a pretty entertaining western, which, weirdly, is often overlooked.  I don't understand the hate it's gotten over the years.  Not nearly as good as the first, for sure, but a whole lot of fun regardless.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited April 2016

• It's 1987, you just watched Predator, and some guy from the future tells you, "hey, that guy who yelled RUN, GET TO THE CHOPPPAAAAA!!!!!!, he's gonna be Governor of California, and the guy who says Ain't got time to bleed, he'll be Governor of Minnesota. which is a bigger "get the fuck outta here" statement
  • I will never see BTTF the same way again, after hearing Jim and A.Ron talk about what Marty's parents' "meet-cute" story would be if anyone ever asked how they got together. Plus all the stuff with Calvin Klein and Marty looking more and more like him as he ages. Hilarious stuff, guys. Great podcast.
  • Addressing the Claudia Wells discussion in the podcast...

I had heard a rumor when I was a kid that she ended up with drug addiction problem, and was then not well enough for the sequels, so they recast with Shue.  I grew up believing that through all my re-watches during my subsequent years...

Until recently, I watched the excellent BTTF documentary "Back In Time," which is more about BTTF fandom and cultural impact than it is actually about the movie.  Turns out, Claudia Wells turned down the role in the sequels because her mom was very ill, with cancer I think.  Claudia is featured quite a bit in the documentary and is still to this day very involved in the BTTF fandom, making appearances at conventions and whatnot. She seems like a very happy and lovely lady...

@A_Ron_Hubbard mentioning his frustration in movies when characters don't understand their circumstances if movies/tv. This really hit home for me as it frustrates me to no end. BttF is not a great example  of how to do it right. As mentioned in the cast, Marty witnessed the DeLorean disappear into thin air and reappear moments later. he was told it was a time machine. So it tries the patience of the viewer to see him walk around completely befuddled and acting like he has no clue what is happening. You have to show a character struggling to accept things (kind of a required point in lots of genre movies) but also include other components to keep the viewer interested and not bored by the slack-jawed reaction of the main character.

In lots of superhero movies this tends to be the most tedious point. When the coming-of-age character realizes they have powers and don't want to accept it. I get the impression that the filmmakers are always hoping this "hero's journey" will make the character endeared to the audience. At times it definitely does. In others it just gets irritating.

I think of movies like Jurassic Park. There is about that 5 minute sequence when Alan Grant and crew see the brontosaurs and everyone is astounded. This is necessary, of course. But the movie never lingers on it. After showing Grant's amazement at his life's dream realized it moves right into the next scene to further the story. Grant continues to be amazed but it never strains the patience of the audience. It certainly doesn't hurt that this is the first time we see the dinosaurs in full view and the viewers are in awe as well. 

In The Matrix as Neo discovers the truth of the world he is living in, the audience is discovering it at the same time as he is, so it never feels quite boring. The amount of information that is being thrown at you in addition to the visual smorgasbord certainly helps that pill (pun definitely intended) go down easier.

In short, I think there are are ways to do those moments of astonishment and disbelief of characters in extreme circumstances, but the filmmakers need to really have their fingers on the pulse of the film and use pacing appropriately. The characters who aren't believing their situations needs to be coupled with something visual for the viewers to focus on, a story beat that is continuing to be told as the character copes with the issue, or an extreme focus on the emotional ramifications that this has on the character.
    DaveyMacryanfoster
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    BTTF is in my top 10 but I agree there's plenty of things to pick on and I think you hit most of them in the cast including some difficult topics like trying to bone your son, but the one that always gets me is
    If Marty was so instrumental in you getting together and her kids don't seem to be named after their parents why wouldn't their first boy be called Marty. 

I also have never liked the let Biff stick around after he tried to rape your wife angle, that just makes no sense what so ever
  • Respectfully, I am confused by the vitriol with which some are hating on the Marty-don't-get-it-yet, post pine murder scene--it lasted all of maybe 2 minutes on screen, and to me at least, it was clearly implied that Marty wanted to believe that he had dreamed everything from the phone call from Doc (the song lyrics on the radio--"I got some strange information I'll keep to myself...") to the moment he saw that his neighborhood was gone. I get hating the trope, but it was negligible in BttF.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @Melia004 I agree I'm pretty sure time travel is one of the few things that even if I thought I knew what was happening it would still blow my mind. I mean that is in the realm of breaking what we know about reality itself. I mean Jurrasic Park is not really comparable. We know that Dinosaurs existed at one time. We know cloning exists. Yes it would be a holy shit moment, but not quite on the level that seeing a car actually dissappear and reappear from thin air would be, and then driving that car into the past.
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    @A_Ron_Hubbard, You asked what those of us who are older than you & a nerd what we thought of the Delorean when it came out.

I'm 48 years old, but I'm not sure of my nerd cred ( I know, if you're not sure you're a nerd, then you probably are one).  Anyways, everyone I knew thought the Deloreans looked cool at first sight.  However, after that everything was bad.  They had a bad reputation for poor reliability and performance.  All of that was overshadowed by John Delorean's arrest by the FBI for cocaine smuggling.  He wasn't convicted, but all anyone remembered was a surveillance video of him in a hotel room making the deal.
    JimTaraC73
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Unified Theory of Marty McFly: Twin Pine Marty vs Lone Pine Marty

Okay, breaks down like this...when Marty meets Doc for the first time, it's at the "Twin Pines Mall."  When Marty travels back in time, he runs into one of the pines.  When he goes...say it with me...Back To The Future!...he saves Doc at the "Lone Pine Mall."

And so we have Twin Pine Marty, with a dorky family, in a timeline where Doc never knew him in the 50s.  And we have Lone Pine Marty, who Doc has known about since the 50s and who has a groovy family.

Now...the horror of it all...is...

The Marty who returns to the Lone Pine Mall has all the memories of Twin Pine Marty.  He remembers a dorky family.  His current, groovy family would consider him to have had some sort of psychotic break/amnesia as he won't remember any of the (surely) expensive family vacations they've taken, lavish birthday parties they've thrown or any of the other elements of his life.

But the real horror of it all is...what happens to the original Lone Pine Marty?  In some timeline, somewhere, is a Marty who grew up knowing nothing but grooviness.  This Marty is never depicted.  His entire life was both created AND wiped out by Twin Pine Marty's trip to 1955.
    DStar
    You see a name on someone's underwear.  Why would you assume it's not that person's name?  Whose name would it be?

And how are Marty's parents not totally freaked out that their son looks like the guy who got them together?  And when Star Wars comes out?  How did Marty know about Darth Vader? 
    How corrupt were small town cops in Southern California in the 1950s?  They were 1.21 gigacorrupt.
    TaraC73
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas

He did sue:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/back-future-ii-a-legal-833705

They settled and he reportedly got 760k.

Is it such a crime that I just want to get in a position that I can sue a soulless, faceless entity and get some life changing money?