Marvel Orders Punisher Netflix Series

Netflix to announce later today Punisher gets his own show because of course:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/29/punisher-marvel-netflix

They probably aren't going to fuck this up.

Comments

• really looking forward to so more Punisher . he was my favorite part of season 2. I just hope they keep it short and sweet.  
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited April 2016
    Just take some of Garth Ennis's Marvel MAX stories and adapt them. If Marvel can avoid the need to tie everything into everything else, this could be really fantastic. I do get a tiny comic orgasm when seeing characters hop around in different shows, but it'd also be nice to see them do a series that doesn't necessarily connect to everything else going on.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oof. I'm still hoping for a mini series. I don't know how the character will look carrying 10+ episodes.
    pavlovsbellDummyCory
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2016
    Although I thought Bernthal was fantastic, and I'm a big fan of Steve Lightfoot, who wrote some of the best Hannibal episodes, I'm not excited about the Punisher carrying his own show. Kill Bill is one of my favorite films, but I wouldn't want that character heading up a long-form narrative. It becomes less exciting and too one-note after a while.

Nevertheless, Lightfoot is an excellent writer, and he's adept at pacing and structure. He and Fuller broke up Hannibal S2 and S3 into two half-seasons rather than stretching one storyline across 13 episodes, which has proven to be a Netflix problem. So maybe he'll do something like that for The Punisher.
  • Although I thought Bernthal was fantastic, and I'm a big fan of Steve Lightfoot, who wrote some of the best Hannibal episodes, I'm not excited about the Punisher carrying his own show. Kill Bill is one of my favorite films, but I wouldn't want that character heading up a long-form narrative. It becomes less exciting and too one-note after a while.

Nevertheless, Lightfoot is an excellent writer, and he's adept at pacing and structure. He and Fuller broke up Hannibal S2 and S3 into two half-seasons rather than stretching one storyline across 13 episodes, which has proven to be a Netflix problem. So maybe he'll do something like that for The Punisher.

Probably would be better to do a Netflix Original movie. Revenge is a hard plot to keep going for 10 hours.
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Jon Bernthal as Punisher was amazing.

Hannibal, especially season 2, was amazing.

I cannot stress how hyped I feel about this.
  • Oof. I'm still hoping for a mini series. I don't know how the character will look carrying 10+ episodes.

This is my thought.  I really enjoyed the Punisher character in Daredevil Season 2 and thought the actor did a great job.  However, I think Punisher as a character is better for a supporting role as oppose to him having to carry an entire season.  It will be interesting to watch.
  • Oof. I'm still hoping for a mini series. I don't know how the character will look carrying 10+ episodes.

This is my thought.  I really enjoyed the Punisher character in Daredevil Season 2 and thought the actor did a great job.  However, I think Punisher as a character is better for a supporting role as oppose to him having to carry an entire season.  It will be interesting to watch.
    I completely disagree! Punisher was the most interesting character in Daredevil Season 2 and I wanted to learn a LOT more about his backstory and motivations. I don't think they will keep it as simple as "mindless killing machine bent on revenge". I think they'll enrich the character with more subtle motivations and character development. John Bernthal can definitely handle anything they throw at him. All in all, I am psyched for this.
  • Catherine said:

Oof. I'm still hoping for a mini series. I don't know how the character will look carrying 10+ episodes.

I completely disagree! Punisher was the most interesting character in Daredevil Season 2 and I wanted to learn a LOT more about his backstory and motivations. I don't think they will keep it as simple as "mindless killing machine bent on revenge". I think they'll enrich the character with more subtle motivations and character development. John Bernthal can definitely handle anything they throw at him. All in all, I am psyched for this.
    They're going to have to enrich the character from "mindless killing machine bent on revenge" because he got his revenge for the death of his family, so now he would need something else to do.  That's where I'm weary on.