Dr Strangelove Commission

FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
edited May 2016 in Movies
Hey all 

So I  noticed this had turned up on the commission shop and it's probably the top of my list of things that haven't already been done.

I can't say enough good things about this film if you've not seen it, it's an early Kubrick black comedy and brilliantly plays with the absurdity of M.A.D

Figured I'd start a thread to bang the drum for this to get commissioned, I drip feed  buy shares in a commission every couple of months so will slowly be pushing it, but for the rest of those who love Kubrick and meaningful amazing comedy, lets get this commissioned!

Edit link to buy shares below

"Jim and A.Ron’s take:  We’ve both seen this, and think it is fucking brilliant film. It’s highly likely we will have a ton of stuff to say about this, even though comedies tend to be on the lighter side of commentary."

ryanfosterjenniekojiattwood

Comments

• Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
    FlashGordonTravis
  • Yeah, I was one of the loud voices to get this up on the board, so I should put some of my $ where my mouth is. I'll definitely buy at least a couple shares for this soon.
    FlashGordon
  • It's in my top five favorite movies of all time so I am definitely interested. Money is a bit tight at the moment, but I'll probably pick up a couple of shares.

Also Criterion is releasing their edition of it in June, and I'm considering picking it up even though I already have a two copies of it in different formats.
    FlashGordonAntManBee
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited May 2016
    I doubt it'll fly of the shelf in a week or two but think there'll be enough people in the community like us to buy a share or two to get this done over a few months, it's such a classic and I think will make for some brilliant podcasting.

I'll maybe drop  a note at the odd mile stone, every $100 or so, hopefully  with enough prodding sure we'll get this over the line, 

But yeh definitely one of the best, when ever I occasionally get asked what's the best movie ever made i say 'The godfather is the greatest movie of all time, but Dr Stranglelove is my favourite'
  • We watched that movie in AP American History. I liked it, but I don't remember too much about it.
    edited July 2016
    Just a little update on the progress of this commish

11 shares sold, we're about a third of the way there with a steady drip of sales, so pretty sure it'll go over the line at some point , i'll buy a couple more shares myself along way and keep spamming the forums as we get closer :)
  • I also watched it in AP US history. I remember being very weirded out by it, but I thought it was cool.
  • Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
    FlashGordon
  • I would like to buy a few shares, but I just can't swing it right now. I hope it does get commissioned, though. I'll be a little bit freer with money in late September, so if it's still around then, I'll pony up some.
    FlashGordon
    edited July 2016
    @Doctor_Nick Well, No I can't say I have.

@DaveyMac Don't worry man, no rush honestly I think it could easily be Christmas before this get's done, always thought it would be a slow burner, hence the thread. 
    I didn't want o just see it languish in the shop, t'd great cast material and the closer to the line it gets the more likely people are to drop $10 on a share .

Edit: I went to grab a share myself,  it'd been awhile, but because of my contrary voters, the UK is stupidly trying to leave the EU, the (£)Pound  is so shit  as a result a share is about 30% more costly today than no shit 1 month ago, i'll buy two next time, if things level out :\

edited November 2016
    While people are looking for ways to support Bald Move, the first and foremost way i'd advocate is joining the club at the new yearly $48 rate, give the guys a cash injection(if you can)

......However, as the filthy opportunist I am, if you're looking for other ways to kick in a few bucks into Bald Move, buying a share in this is a great way to do it. 

There's no better time with @gjulleen taking this commission to the half way line, 18/35 left , if anyone else wants to funnel their hard earned lucre in this direction. http://baldmove.com/product/dr-strangelove/

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

"Jim and A.Ron’s take:  We’ve both seen this, and think it is fucking brilliant film. It’s highly likely we will have a ton of stuff to say about this, even though comedies tend to be on the lighter side of commentary."

Travisgjulleen
  • I'm excited about this commission, the more I thought about the more perfect it seemed!
    FlashGordon
  • I just bought 3 shares. I'll keep tabs on this one and buy some more as I can. Love this movie
    FlashGordon
  • I've been looking at it in the shop, hoping there would be less shares available... and lo and behold there were less shares!

This is getting exciting!
    FlashGordon
    edited November 2016
    @gjulleen Yeh this is awesome it's at 13/35 left now and has the fewest shares left  than any other commission in the shop, now Shutter island has made it. I'm in for a couple more shares at least still anyway
  • Just chipped in the final 7. Can't wait. My precious bodily fluids are pumping so hard.
  • @alexander.klassen That's great man thanks for taking the lions share!

A Big thankyou to everyone else who chipped in, looking forward to the cast!
    Elisajennie
  • What happens now?
  • It gets added to the Que.
  • So excited this went through! I just went to shop to buy a share or two, but lo and behold it was already bought out.
  • Oh cool!! Thanks for completing this! I had several shares beginning in May and over the next few months, but it slipped off my radar. Can't wait for the podcast!!
    FlashGordon
  • Where is the Comission cast queu?
  • Do they do about 1 a month? Or have I been missing them?
  • They are trying to do one a week.
    You can find the bald movies page here-
    http://baldmove.com/category/bald-movies/
    gjulleenElisa
  • Loved this podcast, really interesting conversation.
  • "Happy new year, sweet finally some new Bald Move content, great to have @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard back"

OH GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Seriously though that was great discussion.

• Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited January 10
    Love that Jim picked up how the massive amount of chewing gum in the bomber crew survival pack was probably Turgidson's contribution :)

If you want to see how Strangelove would have worked out as a serious film, check out Fail Safe. It's the same story, just done straight. It's a gripping film, but it's no Dr. Strangelove. I recall something about a lawsuit.

WarGames is another good variation. Gotta love global thermonuclear destruction as the theme of a teen/family-targeted summer adventure movie. Also love the bit where Dr. Falken points out that it doesn't make any sense that the Russians would just wake up one day and decide to end the world. Chilling how it relates to the real story of the Russian guy who didn't start World War III over a bad sensor reading.

Great discussion of one of my all time faves. Also check out Sterling Hayden (Gen. Ripper) in Kubrick's "The Killing" aka "Old Timey Reservoir Dogs"
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 10
    Another great companion piece is the documentary "Countdown to Zero". It views the threat of nuclear weapons from the perspective of Murphy's Law. The idea being that it's only a matter of time until one goes off. Explores everything from terrorism, to incompetence in handling and storage, and of course a good old-fashioned nuclear war.

Cogentxx