Why Not a Bald Move Chat Room?

I think that both forums and chat rooms have their own advantages and disadvantages. Forums are great for longer and detailed discussions which you can reference in the future. But they do lack the sense of community that a chat room can provide where you can get to know the people in the community better. And how great would it be to live watch Game of Thrones or Mr Robot and have a real time discussion of what is going on. 

So I think the addition of a bald move chat room would be a great addition to the bald move community and forums.

Thoughts?
MichelleDrewGeorgeJasW

Comments

• slack channel, a good amount of podcasts have channels for fans now
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    yeah we use slack at my job and it's awesome
    hypergenesb
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    good idea!
  • JasmynPJasmynP Washington, DC
    I concur great idea.
  • I'm glad others agree. Perhaps Jim & A.Ron can weigh in on this as its pretty much up to them.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Definitely behind this idea.
  • I'm messing around with Slack right now.  We've tried chatrooms in the past for gameplay stuff but we ended up monitoring chat more than paying attention to what the hell we were there to do.  I'd be willing to give it another try though, especially if it's for real-time communication amongst our fans.
    voodoorat
  • Yea seems like a good idea at least for live watches/recordings. But outside of that the forums should be enough.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I just tried slack and fell in loooovvvvveeee.  Great app.
    DancesWithWookiesGeorge
  • Jim said:

I'm messing around with Slack right now.  We've tried chatrooms in the past for gameplay stuff but we ended up monitoring chat more than paying attention to what the hell we were there to do.  I'd be willing to give it another try though, especially if it's for real-time communication amongst our fans.

Yeah I was thinking that the chat would just be there 24/7 for people to pop by and chat and then when a tv show is on it would provide for some lively live discussion at that time.
  • edited May 2016
    I think chats are better than forums for a number of reasons, as long as it doesn't devolve into ASL from randos.  I don't know the correct term, but there's less gratification on that format.  If I post something that doesn't rack up likes, I'm conditioned to think I just made a shitty post.  Chats aren't driven that way and it's just a better way of communicating.
    DancesWithWookies
  • @GredalBee I don't think randos would be an issue as it would be all bald move members.
  • My own forums experience is that chat rooms kill the forums and that you get a lot of members then who get their daily dose of forum life in the chat instead of the threads. I'm sure others have more positive experiences
    DeeTaraC73
  • @GredalBee I don't think randos would be an issue as it would be all bald move members.

Sir, what makes you think I'm not a rando? I resemble that accusation!
  • I think a chatroom is a great idea, too bad those of us outside of the US are pretty much screwed for the live watches. :( When I was in college I used to stay up for some of my favorite shows and find a livestream online, but they are around 3-4am my time, and now I'm old and like sleep better. In any case, general chatting is still pretty great!
    DrewMelonuskHatorian
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I work nights so I don't usually watch my shows until super late and have no one to talk to after I finish a show. I refresh this page a bunch between watching a show and going to bed to see if the forums update so a chat room would be cool.
    DancesWithWookiesJasW
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH

My own forums experience is that chat rooms kill the forums and that you get a lot of members then who get their daily dose of forum life in the chat instead of the threads. I'm sure others have more positive experiences

I had the same experience with a forum I used to run. Granted it was a totally different environment (it was a parenting forum) but still... Chat room ruined the forums.
    Tyler_DurdenDummy
  • Well I don't think a chat room is going to ruin the forums. I'll still be here reading and posting. People don't write paragraphs in chat rooms, its more just to socialize and get to know each other better. And, like others have said, when a show is airing, it would be a great place to hang out and talk about the episode as it is airing in addition to the forums.

TaraC73
  • Having come from the MuggleNet (Harry Potter) world/community online. 
    Here's the biggest issue/cons with a 24/7 live chat... 
    1. Spoilers, 
    2. Script Kiddies and wannabee future hackers.. 
    3. need for full time moderation

Pros/Positives
    1. Real time conversations
    2. More personal and intimate 
    3. immediate gratification for your thoughts without huge latency times. 

TaraC73Luke
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016
    This is a brilliant idea. I always get the urge to respond to the guys, then i realize they can't hear me :(
    TaraC73
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I remember fondly the very first days of AIM. a/s/l anyone??? Definitely would use a chat feature but there's a lot of issues and I could see it quickly getting shut down without the right control.
    TaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, we like Slack (and have one ready to go, not sure if Jim is waiting to discuss it with me or is going a diff direction or what, need to ask him), but there is no ignore user feature, so trolls and jackasses in general is something I worry about.  It's been incredibly rare that we get assholes (I've banned one user on forums, maybe 4-5 on facebook, a few more on twitter), but I couldn't in good conscience describe it as safe to use, because I lack the toolset to make it so.  Any live chat would have to have a sort of "here be dragons" kind of warning on it. 
    FernNYC17DaveyMac
  • edited May 2016

Yeah, we like Slack (and have one ready to go, not sure if Jim is waiting to discuss it with me or is going a diff direction or what, need to ask him), but there is no ignore user feature, so trolls and jackasses in general is something I worry about.  It's been incredibly rare that we get assholes (I've banned one user on forums, maybe 4-5 on facebook, a few more on twitter), but I couldn't in good conscience describe it as safe to use, because I lack the toolset to make it so.  Any live chat would have to have a sort of "here be dragons" kind of warning on it. 

Is it possible to add moderators who can keep the rule of law on the chat room? Perhaps you can discuss your decision to include a chat room on LWJ&A tomorrow? And thanks again for considering this. I think it will only bring the Bald Move community closer together.  
    JasW
    Maybe it's only on the paid version, @A_Ron_Hubbard but an admin can remove users from the team. There's a wall of shame in our slack app of all the disabled users aka people who got fired.

The only concern I have about Slack, being someone who uses it 40 hours a week, is that the chat might move too quickly to be fun. We've got about 75 people in the room at peak hours and it can be easy to miss a reply. Sometimes you have to scroll back a few minutes to see what someone said. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    It'd be cool to have a Bald Move West channel so we can do live watches as a community when they air at best coast time.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Who are all you weirdos who actually want to chat with people you work with?
    TaraC73Hatorian
    Dee said:

I have to, Dee--I work at home so it's how we communicate. It's not so bad actually; most of them are very cool.
    TaraC73Dee
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Frakkin T said:

Dee said:

I have to, Dee--I work at home so it's how we communicate. It's not so bad actually; most of them are very cool.
    Are you hiring? I am always amazed at how many people can work at home...I never like leaving the house, so it seems like a no-brainer for me.
    edited May 2016

Frakkin T said:

Dee said:

Are you hiring? I am always amazed at how many people can work at home...I never like leaving the house, so it seems like a no-brainer for me.
    It's SO GOOD to work at home! Sadly, although my company is hiring there are no work-from-home jobs anymore. I'm grandfathered in because I got hired when it was still a tiny company but all the new hires have to work from the actual office. 
    TaraC73Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Frakkin T said:

Frakkin T said:

Dee said:

It's SO GOOD to work at home! Sadly, although my company is hiring there are no work-from-home jobs anymore. I'm grandfathered in because I got hired when it was still a tiny company but all the new hires have to work from the actual office. 
    Yeah, that has to be great. I'm a jealous son of a bitch and good for you.
    Frakkin TMichelle