Banshee S04E07: "Truths Other Than the Ones You Tell"

NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
Directed by OC Madsen
Written by Adam Targum

Comments

• NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    edited May 2016
    Something I forgot to say last week - when Job said the line "Can't we go 1 week without someone shooting at us?" I was immediately yelling "JOB, IT'S BEEN LIKE 5 WEEKS OF NOTHING! The worst we've had is a dog bite!"

Veronica (?) was bugging the fuck out of me this week. She kept complaining about being uncomfortable about being in her underwear, despite ALL of the other victims being stripped naked and stabbed. I guess it's more non-nudity contract stuff, but that doesn't fit the MO of the killer, so WTF?

When Bubble-Head the Serial Killer had his back to her, I felt for SURE that she was going to unload her gun on him, just like the title sequence stuff. Such a missed opportunity. Also, got scared when I thought he might wake up at the end - fucker better stay dead.

Loved Job. What a good way to make really-discount Aaron Paul suffer. Now it's just time for everyone to drive off into the sunset.

Finally, Carrie said she loved another guy the whole time. She's GOT to be talking about Sugar, RIGHT?!? >_o >_o

• Aside from Job, that was shit.  Any other Fanshees completely tuned out at this point?
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    GredalBee said:

Aside from Job, that was shit.  Any other Fanshees completely tuned out at this point?

The Job stuff was the only good thing in this episode. Even if the finale is fantastic, it won't be enough to salvage this bizarrely awful season.
  • edited May 2016
    Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I really liked this episode, I think it was the best of this season (which is a shame compared to previous seasons, but hey...)
    The Job stuff was awesome, of course. I loved the scenes both with Burton and Calvin, because these things are what made Banshee great. I wasn't at first sure if Calvin imagined killing his boss again, or if it was real, but it would've been bad if he just imagined it again. He's nowhere near to Cheyton on the level of scariness, but I can't imagine many things more terrifying than an insane neonazi. Being one of these is bad enough, but both?!
    I also really liked the Hood-Brock scenes. It was stupid that they didn't call for backup as soon as they found Veronica's car, but I liked Hood confessing to all the shit he's done.
    I didn't care for Veronica much, but boy am I glad we're done with the satanist guy, I'm guessing the finale is all Proctor now, the big showdown with the Brotherhood and the cartel and Team Carrie. Really looking forward to seeing that.
    Nathanghm3
  • Job's scenes were the only decent ones. Everything else was just lame. Why didn't we get to see Burton lay waste to the brotherhood goons? Proctor magically makes a trip to DC? Calvin pulls a Fight Club stunt at the office - why does he even have a job? Brock is surprised by Hood's truth? And what the fuck was that stupid scene at the end with Dushku? Tropper: "Wait, to close out this episode, we need to establish that Veronica was reeeeaaaaalllly messed up by that serial killer dialog, bad makeup job and shitty whiskey. Dushku, go back in there, break some shit and smoke some more meth. That will sell it." 

And why is Doakes on this show? To make the obvious connection to Dexter, another major disappointment at the end. 

It doesn't matter what happens in the finale. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    It's weird to see Faith from Buffy play what could be a 10 year older version of the same character in a show like this. 
  • edited May 2016
    So, did I miss something or was badass Deputy Cruz, set up all season as the ultimate foe for Carrie, snuffed out offscreen before the opening title sequence even began? Talk about anticlimactic.
    Coryhypergenesb
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Did they forget they have another episode?
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    The trailer for next episode has BunkerBowl and Hood v. Burton. 
    Will Banshee be Redeemed?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This is sad. Some dick in a button down with a wrench gets the drop on both Brock AND mother fucking Hood? Give me a break, man. So much bad writing and betrayal of character in this episode. It's so weird because they're still executing at a very high acting and production level, but the core has fallen to shit.
    ghm3NathanCory
  • I don't get all the hate on this episode, I really liked it for the most part compared to the rest this season, and I'm really glad the stupid serial killer isn't bleeding into the finale. My biggest problem with it was the ridiculously implausible way Hood & Brock were taken out, it was just as dumb as the way it happened w/ Veronica. 

@hypergenesb What do you mean 'magically' makes a trip to DC? It's only a 2-3 hour drive from Amish country, and he's certainly rich enough to take a helicopter to southern MD and drive in from there if he wants to expedite that. 
  • I'm not a mind reader, but I'd suggest the magical trip to DC was less about the actual drive and more about how now, with literally one episode left in the series, we've just been introduced to this story of governmental corruption. What can actually be done with that story in the time left?
  • @Jeff Trotter Oh I thought he meant it wasn't feasible to be able to make the trip in the episode. I didn't think anything of who he's meeting with, it's obviously a contact Kai has had for a while, who helped him get into business with the cartel. It doesn't really matter, I just take it as a way to explain whatever support Kai is surely to get in the finale to take on Calvin. 
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    This season is a mess. It's too bad they decided to change shooting locations and do this stupid serial killer thing.

They literally could have just done 6 episodes of fan service and i would have been happy but instead they have pumped this season full of bullshit plotlines.

hypergenesbNathan
  • ghm3 said:

@Jeff Trotter Oh I thought he meant it wasn't feasible to be able to make the trip in the episode. I didn't think anything of who he's meeting with, it's obviously a contact Kai has had for a while, who helped him get into business with the cartel. It doesn't really matter, I just take it as a way to explain whatever support Kai is surely to get in the finale to take on Calvin. 

@Jeff Trotter has it right here. It just seems out of left field for Proctor to be meeting with a corrupt senator about his drug operation and cartel threats. It's a magical plot mechanic.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Jonathan Tropper is on the latest Andy Greenwald podcast for The Watch. Among other things, Tropper said that he was not prepared for the serial killer backlash, that Lucas Hood was modeled on Colin Farrell, and that the Nolan / Burton fight was not how he originally envisioned it at all but he ended up loving the finished product. I find it really difficult to believe that he is unaware of serial killer fatigue.