Mad Men ended one year ago today

DrewDrew indianapolis
May 17, it's been a year since one of the greatest series of all time ended. I've found myself thinking about the show a lot lately since the old routine used to be Mad Men and Game of Thrones back to back. I really miss this show and want to go back and rewatch it but there's so much going on right now I'll have to push that a little longer.

Anyone want to reminisce with me?

The ending is still my favorite end out of all the shows we've had end in the last few years. Better ends and resolutions for characters than Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

Comments

• broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    I do. Mad Men is probably my favorite show ever with Breaking Bad coming in at an ever close second place.

It really had a great ending man. I rewatched the first 5 seasons since it ended and it's even better on rewatches. Mad Men is without a doubt the most rewatchable show for me because there are SO many nuances in the performances and characters that continue to be revealed to me even as i rewatch for who knows how many times....

It's crazy that it ended today because I remember exactly where i was and how i felt about it ending. 

It's really quite an incredible show and I'd be interesting in hearing Aron & Jim go back and cover the earlier seasons when the get time like they did with Breaking Bad. I think it deserves that treatment.
    DrewMichelleAntManBee
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited May 2016
    I would love Jim and A.ron to go back as well. I know a full series rewatch would be to much but it would be cool if they did a podcast just talking about the show and their favorite parts, what they miss, stuff like that.

I've been talking to my girlfriend about watching the show with me but I don't know how well she will like it, she's a big fan of the ABC family dramas so I'm not sure if she would dig Mad Men.

It's funny how when we were entering into the final stretch of episodes Breaking Bad was still my favorite show of all time and Mad Men was just a show I watched. Breaking Bad really was babies first drama, and I don't mean that in a bad way I still love the show but since it ended I've expanded my experience with television and what it can be, Mad Men surpassed BB, The Wire became king, the more shows I watch the more Breaking Bad starts slipping from my personal favorites.

The goodbye phone calls from Don to Peggy and Betty in the finale were just so perfect. I'm still kind of sad we didn't get one last great Don/Peggy scene together in that last stretch of episodes. Man ending on Don smiling and fading into the Coke ad was just the perfect end for a character that had so much despair throughout the series. Every other series went with a more dark ending for their heroes I'm glad we got a happy ending for Don.
    MichelleAntManBee
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I always thought the season finale from the year before - where Don takes his kids to where he grew up - could have been the series finale. It was perfect and probably my favorite ending of maybe any TV show ever.

I enjoyed the actual finale too but that was a high point in the series paying off a lot of emotional development.
    DrewDaveyMac
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    See, I find that ending somewhat haunting. I never really thought it was a happy ending for him. Sure he didn't go flying into traffic in a drunk driving accident; but its still a man who refuses to change the things about himself that cause distress to himself and others. Its a pretty accurate and realistic portrayal. But I just never thought it was all that optimistic. I see Don going back and doing the same ol' Don stuff over and over again. Maybe here and there he will have pockets of enlightenment, but nothing that really ever sticks. Like I said--"haunting" is a good word to describe how it effected me.
    AntManBee
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited May 2016
    @drken that definitely could have been a series finale and would have worked just as well as the actual finale. That whole arc with Don being caught by Sally, the Hershey's pitch, damn it was incredible.

I guess it could be read as haunting or that he just ended up being the same old Don @Garthgou81. I think that Betty basically relieving him of being the father to his kids and his responsibilities could even lead him to being that way as well. It just felt like that whole last arc of him at the retreat and him being rock bottom and then accepting what the retreat was teaching and offering gives me hope that he didn't just go back to boozing and whoring around.
    AntManBee
  • I've been doing a rewatch of season 5 and on, and it really is crazy how they didn't have a poor episode in the bunch. Each episode has me going "Oh, this is the episode where..." and I get excited for each one. I can't believe I forgot about Pete running into the pillar in season 5, but when it happened I laughed hard. The scene where Don describes his feeling of being a parent and actually being proud of Bobby still gets to me. TV let go of one of its great when Mad Men went off air. 
    AntManBee
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited May 2016
    @Dummy
    Pete's physical mishaps were such comic relief. My favorite is when he falls down the stairs on his ass.
    Dummy
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Wow, it's been a YEAR??? Time flies. 

What's the episode you guys rewatch the most? I think for me it's "The Suitcase"  Easily, easily the best Peggy and Don episode. I also love the "A Little Kiss" (The Zubi Zubi Zo) ep. Just any episode where everyone is thrown together at a party and we get to see the charachters play off each other is great. 
    DaveyMacTheEconomist
  • aberry89 said:

Wow, it's been a YEAR??? Time flies. 

What's the episode you guys rewatch the most? I think for me it's "The Suitcase"  Easily, easily the best Peggy and Don episode. I also love the "A Little Kiss" (The Zubi Zubi Zo) ep. Just any episode where everyone is thrown together at a party and we get to see the charachters play off each other is great. 
    If we are talking rewatches, then I'm going with "The Crash" or "The Suitcase". Seeing everyone one hopped up on speed or adderall or whatever that is cracks me up every time. "You have to get me in a room with them. The timbre of my voice is as important as the content."
    TheEconomist