Rank the Universes

edited May 2016 in General
In order of favorite to least good. 

I'm including universes that are expansive with many characters and stories over books, movies, comics, games and television shows and that are (more or less) continuing in the creating of new said media.

- Star Trek
- Star Wars
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- Game of Thrones
- Marvel 
- DC
- Alien/Predator 
- Stephen King (Many of the books and characters are in the same universe and have crossover storylines. See Dark Tower for more.)
- Jurassic Park
- X-Files

I'm sure I am missing some and feel free to add if you think it warrants it.
kojiattwoodTyler_Durden

Comments

• Great list, would definitely include the Amber universe, as created by Roger Zelazny.
  • - AMC Zombie (dead last by the way)
  • What a good question, I'm probably a bad person to have a go here since I don't follow huge amounts of universe stuff but I'll for for - 

1) Marvel - So many movie and tv shows I've been interested in and have watched though I have to confess I'm close to saturation point and I doubt they'll still be my number 1 pick in the future
    2) Game of Thrones - Love the universe and have read some of the guides to the past stories etc which is not particularly like me.  I suspect they'll become my number 1, particularly given the plethora of prequels they will likely move in to when the current show ends
    3=) Star Wars, Lord of the Ring, Harry Potter - Have watched all the movies, read some of the books, so have some interest but not massively into the extended universes

No great watcher or opinion giver on the others
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Some that you left out.

Transformers
    Pixar (if the theory they are same universe is true)
    James Bond
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Doctor Who
    And let's not forget Disney Princesses. And yes Elsa is my favorite.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited May 2016
    To be honest there are so many choices that come to mind. I can't comment on some because I havn't read, watched or played the games. So many have come to mind in the few minutes I have been thinking about it. If you read a lot of fantasy sci fi there is a crazy amount of options. Video games a ton, I would have to say that like in the Legenda Of Zelda universe I was blown away on where the story took me emotionally, more than once. I don't think this would make my top ten but the first parts of James Paterson's, Alex Cross novels were something I was into up until half way through.
    Lonsome Dove, Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Fallout its endless.
    kojiattwood
  • Yep Gaming-wise you have Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo...

I personally would love to inhabit any of the Miyazaki universes.

Dummy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'd put Game of Thrones at the top, because of the amazing world-building and history that the GRRM has created. Just under that would be King's stuff because his books are crazy intertwined and exist in this weird King-universe which is pretty neat. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings probably follow that. Its hard to list comic universes higher since they do so much revamping of their own shit and never really stick by much of their own rules, and thats coming from a comic-lover. X-Files is so convoluted that its hard to even find a coherent narrative. I absolutely LOVE The X-Files, but I'd probably put it towards the bottom because of that.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Big Trouble in Little China is the G.O.A.T.
  • As great as the GOT universe is, I still would put Amber over it, personally.
  • I think the Star Trek universe has the most depth and complexity than any just about any others out there, so I'd put that first. I  love the Alien/Predator universe and really wish they would make something that isn't so non-stop action oriented. Either way, that goes second and I'll put the Mass Effect universe third.