Preacher AMC 10pm EST

The pilot of Preacher airs tonight at 10pm on AMC.  Anyone excited about it?  I've only read the first two volumes of the graphic novel so I can't say too much about it other than there is some fucked up shit (especially in the first volume).  AMC has some great TV show and I'm rather curious how this will be adapted.  Is there a plan for Jim and A.Ron to cover this series?
Elisa
"I muffle motherfuckers up like Meineke"  Ghostface Killah (Clipse of Doom)
"I don't give a fuck about your war or your President"  Snake Plissken (Escape from New York)

Comments

• I am excited for the series too! I won't be watching it tonight, but tomorrow I will. The show has a lot of Breaking Bad almunus on the production team, which I am very excited about. The show runner is Sam Catlin, and Michael Slovis is also working on it as well I believe. Michael Slovis has a really great interview with Film Schlubs, mostly talking about Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, but also about Preacher. If your interested in the behind the scenes stuff, it's a great episode to listen to. I have also started reading the comic book, and I really enjoy the dark, blue humor for the most part, though some it doesn't stand up to today's sentiments (like the homophobia on display in the first comic book).

I don't think Jim and A.ron have any plans to cover the show, at least not in the first season. They usually don't cover the first season of a show, though I think they should really consider this one! I thought that about Mr. Robot too. So far the reviews for the show have been great, and I think they missing a great chance to get in early.
    "No one has ever tried to eat my worm before," he said. "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    edited May 2016
    I'll probably give the pilot a shot and see if it's for me. I haven't read any of the comics and the teasers look weird as hell especially the one with the kid who has an ass for a mouth or some shit. Should be interesting to say the least.
  • I added it to the DVR, I'll give it a shot- the premise is intriguing but I never read the comic.

• Aspiewithalibrarycard:

Interesting I'll check it out.  I wonder how far they can go with the series on a regular cable channel. 

"I don't give a fuck about your war or your President"  Snake Plissken (Escape from New York)

• Yeah I'm going to watch in a day or so. I imagine this would be a prime Bald Move show, it's getting good press.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016
    Show really caught me off guard a few times. I'm in for next week.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm definitely going to watch it when things calm down, and Outcast as well. Whether we talk much about it will depend on what Jim thinks.
  • Because of Memorial Day weekend next week, AMC is replaying the premiere on Sunday 29th @ 9pm with the "Talking Preacher" segment @ 10:30pm.
    TaraC73

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    First episode was solid, sticking around for the season. I liked the comic esque overlays when new scenes came on.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Its so strange that they would start a new show only to do a replay of the first episode the next week. I kinda understand...they want word of mouth to catch fire. But it also kind of puts a halt to momentum from that first episode.
    hypergenesb
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I really enjoyed the first episode. The figh scenes were solid ( and there were quite a few) and the humor was right up my alley. Felt like watching a mini Tarantino movie. Excited for the rest of the season
    George
  • Good episode. Would have made a good Bald Move podcast. I find the best TV podcasts focus on shows that come from published source material such as novels or comics (graphic novels). It makes for the best compare/contrast. [caveat - Netflix type binge shows do not make for great pods as they don't allow for enough thought time between episodes] 
    Plus I'd have figured that this has built-in high ratings expectations which would lead to high # of pod downloads & thus ad revenue, etc. Too bad. Maybe on BaldMove TV feed or a catch-up.  
  • Enjoyed the premiere enough to keep watching. I haven't read the comic(s) nor do I know anything about this series outside of what I've seen. This is looking like it will be dark and funny.
  • SeaHog said:

Good episode. Would have made a good Bald Move podcast. I find the best TV podcasts focus on shows that come from published source material such as novels or comics (graphic novels). It makes for the best compare/contrast. [caveat - Netflix type binge shows do not make for great pods as they don't allow for enough thought time between episodes] 
    Plus I'd have figured that this has built-in high ratings expectations which would lead to high # of pod downloads & thus ad revenue, etc. Too bad. Maybe on BaldMove TV feed or a catch-up.  

I disagree with this thesis. There have been (and still are) plenty of excellent podcasts about shows that have no published/precursor source material - LOST, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, Fargo.  
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016
    That Tulip introduction scene in the car was some of the best TV I've ever seen.

I really enjoyed the first episode. The figh scenes were solid ( and there were quite a few) and the humor was right up my alley. Felt like watching a mini Tarantino movie. Excited for the rest of the season
    Indeed. That whole scene with the kids felt so Tarantino.

Props to Rogen and Goldberg.
    I just watched the pilot and it looks like it has a lot of potential. I could see this being a hit for AMC. Just wanted to throw it out there that the episode is on AMC.com and the amc mobile app and does not require you to log in with a cable provider to watch. Their website is pretty bad and the application is clunky but it's a free way to watch the episode if you missed the premiere.
  • Had extremely low expectations and thought the pilot episode was fantastic. A great mix of drama, action, comedy and horror. I'm in for the season.
  • Nathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Did not realise Rudy was in this, so that introduction came as a surprise.

Love both Tulip and Cassidy, but Mr. Preacher-Man seems a bit boring. The smirk moment helped to make him more likeable.

Also, I'm calling bullshit on the fact that all of the women in town aren't swooning over that handsome motherfucker. Immersion broken in that Jessie is too hot to be a preacher. ;)

Every day, it gets a little easier. But you gotta do it every day - that's the hard part. But it does get easier.

• MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    Watched this today. Strange and unique feel to it. 

The action was well executed, and the I'm intrigued by the universe so far. 

They were all over the place, location-wise:  SPACE,  Africa, Russia, Kansas, Texas.  

My On Demand also has a commentary track w/Rogen, I'm thinking about checking that out.  

ArseFace was equal parts funny, disturbing, and heartbreaking. 

Here's the thing about this show; it seems like both Preacher and Outcast are operating in the same lane of traffic, and that, judging purely from the first episode, Outcast is better.  That of course could change, but the other thing is I just don't buy the guy that plays the Preacher as a house-wrecking badass.  Tom Cruise plays more physicality when he's Ethan Hunt or especially Jack Reacher, which is really saying something. 
    mwspiak
  • Felt like Banshee Season 1, but replace Job with this ridiculous vampire. Meh.
  • Here's the thing about this show; it seems like both Preacher and Outcast are operating in the same lane of traffic, and that, judging purely from the first episode, Outcast is better.  That of course could change, but the other thing is I just don't buy the guy that plays the Preacher as a house-wrecking badass.  Tom Cruise plays more physicality when he's Ethan Hunt or especially Jack Reacher, which is really saying something. 

Whaaaat? This sounds like a crazy talk (that Outcast is better). But I have no connection with either source material. Preacher just seems to have a lot more promise and potential and nutty/wacky shit. I just need that more than I need what Outcast offers. But .... i totally agree on the lede. He's average bending toward lame. 
    Stella
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • @hypergenesb Yeah I agree.

I thought Outcast was shit. Bad writing and bad acting. Has the Robert Kirkman stink all over it.

Preacher on the other hand has interesting characters, an interesting story and the visual style of it is also very good.

But to each there own.
    hypergenesb
    I watched the first episode of each and they are really similar. I liked Outcast more. I thought Preacher was a little too comicbookish for me. I plan on continuing to watch both for now though.
    I guess what I was saying is if I'm going to watch a supernatural / horror show, I prefer it to scare me at least a little bit, you know?  Outcast was creepy as fuck.  Preacher is an action flick. 
  • edited June 2016

I guess what I was saying is if I'm going to watch a supernatural / horror show, I prefer it to scare me at least a little bit, you know?  Outcast was creepy as fuck.  Preacher is an action flick. 

It's SO hard to talk about 
    Preacher and recommend that you keep watching it without giving away some major plot details, but if you stick with it I think you'll love the direction it takes as it's seemingly right in your wheelhouse. To your point about it being an "action flick," I'd say that's more accurately what they're going for. I agree that some of the marketing was lackluster but it may have to do with the fact that the heart of the story is an unimaginably sacrilegious satire of the cosmic idea of God. The first episode (and from what I've read the first season) is fairly muted in terms of tone because they're going to stay in that locale for awhile to build characters, whereas in the comics you're on a cross-country road trip within the first three issues. 

They're making some bold choices in adapting the material and I really hope you stick with it. Because not only do I foresee (or at least hope) the show taking off, but I'd also love hearing you guys react to some of the out-and-out insanity that is hopefully to follow. 
    mwspiak
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    I was iffy after the first episode, but after the second episode, I'm all in. Good stuff. I'm disappointed that it won't be covered by Jim and A. Ron, but it's understandable.
  • I enjoyed it but Cassidy's Irish accent is all over the place. I'll have to get over that!

Interesting that they have a English guy playing an American, An Irish Women playing an American and an English guy playing an Irish Man(vampire). Does nobody stick to their own accent anymore?
    DancesWithWookies
  • I've had a lot of reservations, yet I'm watching the late showing after Penny Dreadful.  So much of the comic will never make it to screen because of cable restrictions, and in the spirit of AMC, a lot of the actors seem like below replacement level talent.  When the Saint of Killers appeared, it was such a nothing moment compared to the instantly badass intro in the comics.

It was also slightly baffling to cast Ruth Negga after a decade of visualizing Tulip as the blonde counterpart to Jesse.  Despite the stacked deck against the show, it's entertaining and is doing a good job of an alternate PG-13 adaptation of the comic.  Tulip is incredibly charming and I think they're adapting Cassidy as best they can.  The fookin' shite he says still gets across on screen with his conversations with Jesse.

Things only get darker and more twisted from here, and I know AMC won't go there, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

• Nathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Three episodes in and I REALLY LOVE THIS SHOW.

Especially Tulip. ;)
    DancesWithWookies

Every day, it gets a little easier. But you gotta do it every day - that's the hard part. But it does get easier.