The Next 'Direct' Director

Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
edited May 2016 in Direct
It's time to pick the next Direct director!

You have three of the best directors alive to choose from: 
  • David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en, The Social Network, Gone Girl)
  • Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception, Interstellar)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood)
Levi and I are really excited at the prospect of watching each of these directors' efforts. We just need you help narrowing it down! 

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Tyler_DurdenTyler_Durden London
    edited May 2016
    I'll cast my vote for Fincher based on all four movies being ones I'd like to hear analysis on the directing of.

Just don't tell my fellow Brit Nolan I voted this way
  • voted Nolan, but I'd be equally happy with either PTA or Nolan. 
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    To clarify, we will watch every movie in the filmography of the winning director (not just the four listed). 

Thanks for voting! 
    Tyler_DurdenDorkOfTheNinjas
  • Fincher!
  • David Fincher for me.
  • edited May 2016
    I vote Nolan, simply due to his work being the most familiar to me. Following that logic, Fincher would be second and Anderson third, although I did pitch on J&A doing There Will Be Blood, since I was so impressed by that movie.
    Murderbear
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    Wow this is a Murderers' Row, really don't know where to go on this one,
    DorkOfTheNinjas
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    Went for Fincher for seven & fight club, i'm a similar age to guys and those were both pretty formative films as a kid, Fight Club for obvious reasons, but Seven was probably my first experience with real Noir, so would like to hear their take.

i won't be disappointed if it either of the others, Nolan would be awesome and like @Melia004 I'd love to hear a there will be blood , it's on on the store btw http://baldmove.com/product/there-will-be-blood-2007/ i'm lobbying pretty hard for Dr Stranglelove right now, but will definitely get a share or two in this when it gets close
    Melia004
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016
    I went with Nolan. That was a hard one, though.

Edit: After some serious consideration during my train ride, Fincher's lineup is amazing...also a lot of movies that I haven't heard a lot of podcasts cover. I'm voting again lol.
    DorkOfTheNinjas
  • I ended up voting for Paul Thomas Anderson. I feel like he's the most interesting of the three and his films really reward multiple watches. There's just so much going on in them and I think there's a clear, interesting progression with his filmmaking style with each successive film. I've also only seen "Magnolia" once and would love to revisit it. Plus, it would be a good chance to catch up with "Hard Eight" as that's the one I haven't seen.

I like all of Nolan's movies and even love a couple of them, but I feel like he kind of hits one note over and over and I wouldn't be all that excited about watching all of his movies back to back in such a short amount of time. 

I'm way in the minority, but I'm actually not that big a fan of Fincher. If everyone goes with Fincher though, it'll give me chance to either come around on him or figure out why I don't really care for much of his work. 
    Doctor_Nickangryjef
    I honestly didn't know Fincher's catalog was that deep.

I agree, Nolan does seem to harp on the same points a lot throughout his movies. I love them all, but I could definitely see some overlapping.
    DaveyMac
  • edited May 2016
    I vote Nolan! its been a while since "the dream cast".
    DorkOfTheNinjas
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    Make sure you vote in the link at the header! That's where we count the votes.

Thanks!
    - E
    Jovial_FalconDorkOfTheNinjas
  • All great choices , and but I will continue to voice my choice for a future director, Mathew Vaughan (Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass, X-men: First Class, The Kingsmen: The Secret Service) I've seen all of them but Layer Cake but I love all his films , though he seems to me to be more action version of Edger Wright , but that's part of the reason I want it so much
  • I'll cast my vote for Fincher based on all four movies being ones I'd like to hear analysis on the directing of.

Your vote seems like a forgone conclusion tho with a username like that lol
  • I'll cast my vote for Fincher based on all four movies being ones I'd like to hear analysis on the directing of.

Your vote seems like a forgone conclusion tho with a username like that lol
    Damn it.  My plan to re-register and vote again as Marla Singer looks like it's been foiled
    HatorianFlashGordon
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    Last chance to vote! 

Voting closes tomorrow (Wednesday, June 1) at 11:59 p.m. 

Thanks for making your voice heard!
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I can't vote on this one. All three have at least one movie I would love to hear an episode on.
    I know it may be a little early to say, but are you guys planning on throwing another director in the mix or just rolling through Nolan or Anderson next?
  • I really hope they skip Nolan and go with Stanley Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, or David Lynch.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man...watching all of Lynch's films back-to-back... @MichaelG  are you trying to make the guys go insane?
  • I think Adam McKay would actually be an interesting choice and would be very different from the previous directors. I heard a few interviews with him after "The Big Short" and it made me want to go back and watch a lot of his earlier work. I know a lot of his stuff is seen as just being dumb comedies, but I think there's more going on than is immediately apparent.

And I'm still hoping for Cuaron and Miyazaki some time as well.
    Travis
  • I really want to see Matthew vaughn Tackled, 
    DaveyMac
    A David Lynch run would test the limits of all of our sanity.

I'm in.
    Bebeni
    edited September 2016
    I'm throwing Danny Boyle in the hat. Watched Steve Jobs over the weekend and it was one of those movies where I thought to myself "this isn't great, but I bet whoever directed this has done something great." Trainspotting, The Beach, Slumdog Millionaire, and 127 Hours are all his. Also did 28 Days Later; which is a huge departure from his other works. The timing works out great as well, since the sequel to Trainspotting (T2) is slated for release in January 2017.

But let me make this perfectly clear: I'm only picking Danny Boyle because I like his movies and think they would make for compelling podcasts. Good for the audience sort of thing. At the end of the day though, I won't be happy with this whole Direct thing until John Carpenter gets covered. Ha ha.
    TravisBebeniDummyMurderbearDaveyMac
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016

I think Wes Anderson would be a really fun run of flicks. There's always a lot of meat on those films, and definitely a very pronounced sense of style, but because of that style there tends to be a lot of levity mixed in. I really appreciate his light/heavy balance. I'd really love to hear you guys do his filmography.

I'd also still really love to see you guys do Christopher Nolan.

Great work on Fincher, by the way. I really enjoyed that series a whole lot.

FreddyBebeniDummyDaveyMacMelia004
  • I insist on Wes Anderson. I really want to hear your take on his work.

He's very stylized in a way that you can always tell it's an Anderson movie, and though his themes aren't as light as they initially seem, they aren't quite as dark as Fincher's, or Nolan's either. A nice inbetween before moving on to someone like Hitchcock or Kubrick. 

TravisDaveyMac
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Alexander Payne (are we voting? haha)
    TravisDaveyMac
  • Cameron Crowe. Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky, Elizabethtown, We Bought a Zoo, Aloha. I haven't see the last 3 yet, but the first 5 should be great podcasting.
    Travis
  • I'd like to thow in my vote for Wes Anderson as well. His movies are great, and would make for interesting podcasts.
    But I also like the Cameron Crowe suggestion - I love his movies, and think podcasts of his movies would be great as well, just a totally different conversation than Anderson's movies.
    DummyTravis