Anyone finding this forum hard to read?

As much as I tend to love this light text on dark background as a visual style, I'm finding this forum harder to read than say, the design approach Reddit/Quora, which use dark text on light backgrounds. This isn't as much of a problem for me, on index pages, as much as it is on threads. FWIW, there's a lot of research that has proven this light-on-dark approach is harder to read and scan, especially over longer/busier chunks of text (as we seen on thread pages).

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Shayne, I totally agree. That was on our "go live" list, but we decided to soft launch it with the Patrons to get some of the other bugs and kinks worked out. There is a lot of styling that needs house cleaning. I think the message text is a bit small, too. Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the dark look, but have it be dark on light when it comes to message text.
  • I'd like to keep the dark look, but have it be dark on light when it comes to message text.

What you are describing is not exactly easy to pull off. Design-wise, it's usually an all or nothing kind of thing. I'm not saying it can be done, it's just tricky as hell. I've been spending some time on Reddit and Quora lately, and maybe it's just that my eyes are having trouble making the adjustment.
  • Unless this is what you are talking about. I just inverted what's below your topper to get a quick feel. With some tweaking, this would be much more readable.

• I'm going to be working on this stuff sometime soon. I agree that it's not too easy on the eyes.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    You could work with grey on black. This article suggests it if you want to still have a black background. But I find black on white easier to scan, and in all my UX studies it's recommended for reading.
  • remilyhremilyh Massachusetts
    It would be nice to have options, maybe? I'm getting flashing lights and text in the corners of my eyes when reading the light-on-dark forums.
  • CbluesCblues Columbia, SC
    Yeah, for readability I would prefer black text on gray background, or any lighter color background. My eyes strain when trying to read forums like this. I frequent another forum that allows users to choose "skins" to pick color schemes that fit their preferences. Not sure if that's an option with this software.
    Yeah, this is fairly skinnable. Not sure from a user basis though, although there are tons of plugins for this baby. But yeah, we'll definitely be implementing this change, hopefully before we open to the general public.
  • Its totally possible I just haven't figured it out yet, but its kinda difficult to follow. It reads a little more like a twitter feed where all newest comments are at the end vs in relation to the one you're referring to.

If they worked more like a reply to vs a feed, it would help us keep from having too much "dry pie" so to speak.

Its totally possible I just haven't figured it out yet, but its kinda difficult to follow. It reads a little more like a twitter feed where all newest comments are at the end vs in relation to the one you're referring to.

If they worked more like a reply to vs a feed, it would help us keep from having too much "dry pie" so to speak.

Huh, I prefer flat discussions to threaded, myself, although reddit does it well enough. I think it helps to use the quote feature liberally to help keep track what you're referring too. Like so!
  • Digging the update. Already more readable. Thanks A.Ron.
  • Yeh much better, looking sharp
    No problem guys. Still a few tweeks to make, but I really appreciate you all getting in here and being the guinea pigs for the forum.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    I just created my account, don't know what it looked like before but i dig the current format
  • This is delightful. Super easy to read. Thanks :)
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I prefer flat too, but I'm sure I'd get used to a threaded format. As A. Ron said, Reddit has a good version of it.

I didn't have a problem with the original theme, but I have to admit this is really nice, especially if I hit it from my GS5.