True Detective Season 3?

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/true-detective-cancelled-hbo

It's looking like a bit of a stretch for those interested in the 3rd season. A shame in my opinion since there was just so much potential. Fingers crossed they still get it off the ground. 
In other news, Westworld is looking great. Last I heard was that shooting had finished. It'd be awesome to get it towards the end of the year.  

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    I figured this was going to happen, they've been running promos on HBO showing a bunch of series and movies. Shows like Game of Thrones that still aired had a tag that you could see every episode ever, while show that were over like The Wire said you could watch the complete series. True Detective was using the complete series tag.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    And it just makes sense. Season 2 was an abomination. Vince Vaughn was terrible and the real estate plot was super boring. 
    BourbonQueen
  • With all the success of Scandi-Noir on TV and film and Bosch seemingly well received on Amazon it's a little surprising to me.

If it were me I'd buy the rights to the Archer series of books by McDonald set in Orange County, Ca, forget the two campy Paul Newman movies and go from there
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Nick P has a deal with HBO still so I hope he doesn't bomb his next project as hard as season 2 of TD. I would be surprised if it wasn't another grim dark thing.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016
    In retrospect, season 2 wasn't as bad as I felt it was. The writing was super clunky a lot of the time. the story was a straight up mess, but I looked forward to watching every week.

Colin Farrell saved that season.

It was probably the right time to let this go, though. Can't wait to see what he does next with HBO.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    That's a shame. We'll always have that first season, which I think was the best eight hours of television maybe ever.
  • If Season 2 had happened 15 years back I'd have likely enjoyed it a lot more, but there's so much quality TV available in recent times that I finished the last season thinking I could have used the 8+ hours watching something better
    George
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    The second season is a lot easier to follow if you binge it. Without the name attached to it, this was a decent show. But coming off of season one it never stood a chance. I want to say it's tough to do so but Fargo and the Leftovers both did it. Wish they'd give it another shot. Oh well, just going to have to enjoy the first one for now.
    Melonusk
  • I sort of figured this might be coming after seeing the previews for The Night Of. Seems like HBO is replacing one crime anthology with another.

It is a shame season 2 wasn't better. It wasn't horrible, but it was flat boring. A season with only 8 episodes should never be boring. I never really did fully understand the land deal scheme, but also wasn't interested enough to think too hard about it.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, incredible.  But, HBO knows they can't be complacent if they want to stay on top, the Game of Thrones windfall is nearing it's end, and nobody was really excited for TD3.  I'm also curious about what this means for Westworld, as it is starting to seem like it's caught in some kind of development hell.
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY

Wow, incredible.  But, HBO knows they can't be complacent if they want to stay on top, the Game of Thrones windfall is nearing it's end, and nobody was really excited for TD3.  I'm also curious about what this means for Westworld, as it is starting to seem like it's caught in some kind of development hell.

I heard the other day that they announced the Westworld premiere for this fall but I will believe it when I see it at this point.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    If Westworld isn't a smash hit I think it might just be a one and done
    mwspiak
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited May 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard @mwspiak
    Yeah they announced yesterday that it'll be released this fall. Can't wait for the trailer. Now everything seems to be right with the world. Since Fargo won't be premiering this year hopefully we can get The Leftovers and Westworld this fall. 

• MuyiwaMuyiwa Ocean, NJ
    I might be maybe one of the 5 people in existence who thought TD season 2 was not that bad. A letdown from season 1 for sure, but that was the highest of bars.
    Doctor_NickTravis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I don't think Leftovers will be a fall production.  Late winter is what I'm hoping for.  But yeah, it will be nice having WW in the fall lineup.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Muyiwa said:

I might be maybe one of the 5 people in existence who thought TD season 2 was not that bad. A letdown from season 1 for sure, but that was the highest of bars.

I agree. It wasn't an "abomination" but it also wasn't set up for success either. Nic Pizzilato (sic) had years to develop and polish True Detective season one. He had mere months to write, cast, shoot, edit, etc a whole new season with all new characters and locations etc. It's a feat they even got it out in about a year. HBO admitted as much that the pressure and timetable wouldn't allow a fully baked product.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    The first season was SUCH a huge critical and popular success (like, seriously, do you remember how BIG it was??) - it's kinda of a shame that a let down of a second season is enough to completely kill the momentum of the show, even on a network like HBO. Kinda feels that are giving up on something they shouldn't. If Nick Pizalatto is done, then get Cary Fukunaga back and get a new writer - I imagine there are plenty talented of people that would want that job. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    There could be a bunch of things at play. HBO could be done. Pizzolatto could be done. Who knows what the rights situation is as well. Perhaps they belong to Pizzolatto and doesn't want someone taking his baby over. Its rarely so cut and dry, is all I am saying.
  • I'm fine if we don't get another season. I really didn't enjoy season 2. Season 1 remains untarnished (thankfully it was an anthology show) and I can always re-watch that if I want the TD experience again.

Plus, there's so much other interesting content out there and I'm so far behind that I'm kind of glad it's just one less show that I have to keep an eye out for.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I'm happy we dont have a S3 because like @TheEconomist Nic P had all his life to write 1 great story and 6 months to turn around S2 of course it wasnt as good. Plus he also had to write in all the situations because of the media pieces about certain elements of S1. 

I love S1 and how amazing it was as a narrative plus it looked gritty but amazing at the same time. The only thing is I'm still not sure it nailed the dismount. I think its one of the best ever single seasons of TV except the last 10 minutes or so. 
    manhattnik