Star Wars: Rogue One Reshoots

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited June 2016 in Movies
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-disney/

I know Reshoots are not the end of the world and its still not 100% confirmed but if the rumors are true it seems like they are changing the tone of the story.

What stood out to me is they said the movie felt too much like a war movie. Um well it is called Star WARS. To be honest I'd like a darker and grittier Star Wars movie. There's enough light content for kids. They got Rebels, Clone Wars, prequels, etc. A war movie in the Star Wars universe sounds good to me.

I don't want a carbon copy of TFA which is a carbon copy of ANH. This is why people were worried about Disney. They have a model and they stick to it. No exceptions.
TaraC73

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It's a slippery slope.  I would have thought I'd have enjoyed a darker, more adult Indiana Jones, and then you have Temple of Doom, which is a giant piece of shit.  It's my same problem with DC, they've (for me) essentially ruined the character of Superman.  I think there is room for more darkness in Star Wars, but there are some things that I don't think will ever be in it's wheelhouse, like Saving Private Ryan levels of war carnage or gratuitous torture, stuff like that. 

I hope it eventually comes to light what the re-shoots were and hopefully include the original material on the Bluray.  It would be neat to see how they changed the film, and judge for ourselves which is better. 
    BourbonQueenKingKobra
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    On the flip side of A.Ron's argument is you can't just keep copying the formula but then magnifying the tropes. That is how you get Crystal Skull.

I thought the whole point of the anthology trilogy was to tell stand alone stories that didn't have to be tied down to the main series? And now they are saying they are trying to shoehorn in the Young Han Solo into this film? How can that work if Rogue One is set right before A New Hope?

But then again I don't know if I want to take my kids to a Star Wars film where everyone just dies. The Clone Wars series was already pretty dark I don't know if I want Star Wars to go darker than that.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I think Star Wars should be fun but you can't shoehorn a bunch of light hearted nonsense into a dark war movie. Shouldn't they have decided on the tone when they were writing the script or are they freaking out over whats happening to Superman?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    All good counterpoints. I do think there is room for more dark stories, and they might do well to do a literal "Tales from the Dark Side" line of r-rated star wars movies for older star wars fans, and keep the pg rated romps as family films. Which is not the same thing as a children's film.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @Luke

Maybe they'll have a scene set in the past where Jyn Erso and Han Solo are teenage thieves or something else. It's not too hard to imagine really.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I also think Disney knows what they are doing. From the Marvel movies, their own Disney Animation films (Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero 6 etc), to Pixar, and now The Force Awakens they are in another golden age IMO. They have crafted a enretianent factory that churns out these films with scientific percision. If they said the film wasn't testing well, I will trust their judgement until I see the film.

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2016

It's a slippery slope.  I would have thought I'd have enjoyed a darker, more adult Indiana Jones, and then you have Temple of Doom, which is a giant piece of shit.  It's my same problem with DC, they've (for me) essentially ruined the character of Superman.  I think there is room for more darkness in Star Wars, but there are some things that I don't think will ever be in it's wheelhouse, like Saving Private Ryan levels of war carnage or gratuitous torture, stuff like that. 

I hope it eventually comes to light what the re-shoots were and hopefully include the original material on the Bluray.  It would be neat to see how they changed the film, and judge for ourselves which is better. 

Making a movie darker doesn't mean it will be shit though. Temple of Doom had a ton of problems outside of the tone. I do agree we don't need a Saving Private Ryan-esque Star Wars. I wouldn't mind a Nolan Batman-esque Star wars though. EDIT: didn't realise TFA was pg13. A hard Pg13 sounds right. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The whole thing should just be a bunch of arms getting cut off for two hours.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I'm curious what the director, Gareth Edwards has to say about the re-shoots, or if he'll even be back for them.  Of his 3 full length movies, I've only seen Godzilla, which was a little darker than it needed to be. I imagine we'll never hear exactly what he thinks unless he leaves the project and isn't bound by an NDA.

Regardless, I don't think we're looking at a Fantastic Four/Fox reshoot situation, which resulted in a  bastardized and shitty product. Like @Luke, Disney hasn't given me any reason to distrust them.
  • Rumormill post on FB/Twitter says ~40% reshoot. If the tumors before that it was too dark are true, I'm disappointed. Why try to make it more like FA when these are supposed to be Anthology separate movies. I would love to see a dark SW movie, sort of disappointed that they want to make it "lighter"