Has Jim or A.Ron ever seen...?

13»

Comments

• Room- Brie Larson, not that other crap?
  • Louballs77Louballs77 Coral Springs, FL
    has Jim and ARon ever seen:

Silver Bullet

or

Trainspotting
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

Room- Brie Larson, not that other crap?

Hey hey hey! 
    Melia004
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Dog Soldiers...one of Neil Marshall's first movies and one of the best werewolf films ever.  Coincidentally, Neil Marshall also directed "The Stray" from this season of Westworld.
    edited December 2016
    Thomas said:

Dog Soldiers...one of Neil Marshall's first movies and one of the best werewolf films ever.  Coincidentally, Neil Marshall also directed "The Stray" from this season of Westworld.

I always wondered what this guy was up to. Dog Soldiers is fantastic. The Descent is AMAZING (UK ending or bust!). But then its like he went off the rails and did Doomsday and Centurion . He did some really fantastic Game of Thrones stuff and seems to have moved to TV. Glad to see he is still working. 
  • Boondock saints, The Nines, Time Bandits.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina

Thomas said:

I always wondered what this guy was up to. Dog Soldiers is fantastic. The Descent is AMAZING (UK ending or bust!). But then its like he went off the rails and did Doomsday and Centurion . He did some really fantastic Game of Thrones stuff and seems to have moved to TV. Glad to see he is still working. 
    Agreed.  I like Doomsday cause it was fun and a throwback to Mad Max, but it was not good.  Centurian was awful.  I thought The Descent was one of the scariest movies ever.  I did see that he is directing the next King Kong, at least it is rumored on IMDB.
    Thomas said:

Thomas said:

Agreed.  I like Doomsday cause it was fun and a throwback to Mad Max, but it was not good.  Centurian was awful.  I thought The Descent was one of the scariest movies ever.  I did see that he is directing the next King Kong, at least it is rumored on IMDB.
    Like the next NEXT King Kong, right? Not the one that is around the corner. 
  • TerboTerbo Honolulu
    Dead snow & dead snow 2. Nazi zombies in Norway!
  • Take Shelter (I just listened to the 10 Cloverfield Lane podcast and A.Ron said he was really into bunker doomsday prepper type of stories, and Take Shelter popped immediately to mind. Great, overlooked movie and Michael Shannon is fantastic in it.)
    KingKobra
    DaveyMac said:

Take Shelter (I just listened to the 10 Cloverfield Lane podcast and A.Ron said he was really into bunker doomsday prepper type of stories, and Take Shelter popped immediately to mind. Great, overlooked movie and Michael Shannon is fantastic in it.)

Dude...such a good movie. I feel like its not recognized nearly enough. And Shannon is just a beast in just about everything. I always forget that Shea Whigham (both Boardwalk Empire alums) is in that too. He is fantastic in everything I've ever seen him in as well. 
    DaveyMac
  • Highlander
    The Court Jester
    Casablanca
  • Hard Candy
  • Cloud Atlas (I know reviews were terrible, but it's on HBO right now so I watched and I think it would make a super interesting pod cast, asks a lot of questions similar to Westworld, but with clones instead of robots)
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard, you've never seen John Carpenter's The Thing?!!

Ohhhh, so glad I commissioned it! You are in for a treat!!
  • Silver Bullet with The Gary Busey. 1987 I believe.
  • @Garthgou81 I just now saw your response to my Take Shelter comment when this thread got bumped this week. Can't believe I missed it before. So glad there's another person here who appreciates that movie as much as I do.
    DaveyMac said:

@Garthgou81 I just now saw your response to my Take Shelter comment when this thread got bumped this week. Can't believe I missed it before. So glad there's another person here who appreciates that movie as much as I do.

I mean, Michael Shannon is just a force of nature (no pun intended), and this role seemed to be just made for him. Glad you dug it as much as I did as well. Others should give it a look if they are interested in a small indy flick with Shannon and Shea Whigham, who I love in just about everything. 
  • Yeah both of those guys are always great. And Jessica Chastain is pretty damn good in the film as well.

Another thing I love about it is that you don't really know whether whether Shannon's dreams/visions are real or if it's all in his head. Kind of like the The Leftovers in that way.
    DaveyMac said:

Yeah both of those guys are always great. And Jessica Chastain is pretty damn good in the film as well.

Another thing I love about it is that you don't really know whether whether Shannon's dreams/visions are real or if it's all in his head. Kind of like the The Leftovers in that way.

Right, They never really steer you too far in one direction over another. 
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    Sons of Anarchy??
  • Bully - Larry Clarke (2001) about a group of teens who murder the abusive best friend of the main character after he rapes their friend but there is so much more going on under the surface. Based on a true story, told through the eyes of Kids director Clarke who doesn't pull punches when dealing with controversial subject matter, especially involving what real teens do when parents aren't around. One of the first films to get me into the indie world.

Holy Motors - Leos Carax (2012) about a guy who rides around in a limo and every time he gets out he is someone new, from an old beggar woman to a sewer troll. Definitely one of the more out there films I've seen; has one of the best intermissions I've seen in a movie as well as a tour de force performance from lead actor Denis Lavant. One of my all time favorites.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Sean Durkin (2011) about a girl who recently escaped from a farm cult and is now staying with her estranged sister and her fiancé. Elizabeth Olsen (the twin's other sister) gives a spellbound performance showing the fragile mind of a former cult member while capturing the paranoid (with good cause to be) fear of being dragged back to the farm. John Hawkes (Deadwood, Winter's Bone) menaces as the enigmatic leader who has an entire farm hanging on his every word until they do whatever he says.

Me and You and Everyone We Know - Miranda July (2005) a great little indie gen about a shoe salesman father (also John Hawkes) trying to navigate his newly single life while raising two maturing young boys when he meets a strange woman (July) who makes "motivational videos". The quirkiest film I've ever seen (not being hyperbolic) even beating Wes Anderson, this one is polarizing. If you can't stand Anderson, just keep moving along.

That's all I feel like typing out for now. I also realized that at this point, this forum is more to see who, in general, has seen these films and not exclusively A.Ron or Jim, so if anyone has seen these, I'd love to know because I don't know anyone with my tastes, not even my wife.
    KingKobra
    I've seen all of those outside of Holy Motors. I keep meaning to get around to it, but never managed to for whatever reason. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    In Cold Blood?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    eating raoul?
  • @Walnut Frey ive seen Bully and MMMM, Holy Motors is in a big queue of mine (I have it, but haven't watched it yet).
This discussion has been closed.