607 - "The Broken Man" - SPOILER FRIENDLY!!

Comments

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    guillermo said:

guillermo said:

Why would the brotherhood be killing people like that? Does anyone thought that they might be under new management, like lady Stoneheart??!!!

Maybe because that group was explicitly for the Seven new gods, that the R'Hollor following Brotherhood thought it was justified pillaging the infidels.

guillermo said:

Why would the brotherhood be killing people like that? Does anyone thought that they might be under new management, like lady Stoneheart??!!!

Maybe because that group was explicitly for the Seven new gods, that the R'Hollor following Brotherhood thought it was justified pillaging the infidels.

Sounds logical, however their past leader, The lighting lord was totally against hurting innocent people.

But Beric/Thoros did sell off Gendry to Mel. So there's some dubious actions.
    guillermo
  • edited June 2016
    I'm honestly surprised so many people liked this episode so much. It was a fine episode, but felt like a setup episode coming right off of what was another setup episode. We got Ian Mcshane which is great, he's one of my favorite actors, but the entire storyline with him and the hound was completely predictable except for the part where they are killed by the Brotherhood. Arya getting stabbed made me roll my eyes. The setup was bad. The waif strolls up to her and begins a conversation then stabs her in the stomach instead of slicing her throat? Then they leave it as a cliffhanger as if they are really going to kill Arya that way. Just silliness and bad storytelling.

Every other storyline was just wheel spinning. We learn that Margaery is not really brainwashed, which we already knew. We have an entire scene where Olenna tells Cersei (I.e. the audience) every terrible mistake Cersei has made. The only point of that scene was to remind the audience of obvious shit. Jamie gets nowhere with the siege. Theon decides to drink ale and be Ironborn, which I thought he already did when he decided to go home. We learn that his sister's plan is to get to Dani first, which we had easily worked out ourselves. The only storyline that really made any headway was Jon and Sansa.

I think book readers are hype about this episode because of the return of the hound and the potential clegane bowl, and this episode is certainly coasting on the amazingness that is Ian Mcshane. But exclude those those things, which are more about proving theories than actual storytelling, and this episode is just okay.
    ElisaAjasCallieLady C
  • Anyone catch Savos mention the mad king when talking to lady Marramont? (I know I spelled that wrong ), he mentioned the mad King practically in the same breath as the White Walkers. Did I not hear correctly? If I did hear correctly, what is he talking about?
  • DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    Lady stoneheart is known for hanging people in the books. I think the fact they hung Rey is proof she is coming back. Maybe the story he told about slitting a boys throat ties him to the Freys or Lannisters? Either way I am willing to bet the Lady herself is coming back!
    Elisa
  • Dansbury said:

Lady stoneheart is known for hanging people in the books. I think the fact they hung Rey is proof she is coming back. Maybe the story he told about slitting a boys throat ties him to the Freys or Lannisters? Either way I am willing to bet the Lady herself is coming back!

This.

The hype for Cleganebowl is clouding people's judgment. It felt obvious to me that the whole "Sandor returning" storyline this episode was a way to introduce LSH. The return of the BWB, the hanging of the priest, even the line to Theon about getting revenge... I'll be pretty surprised at this point if they spent all this time setting this up and not pay it off with LSH. Don't see the point in bringing back Sandor this way unless they do it. 
    ElisaDansbury
  • Also, the casual reminder by the Frey son that he slit Catelyn's throat. 
    TheEconomistElisa
  • Did anyone else catch Margaery is denying Tommen sex? Is that a part of the plan?
    TheEconomist
    treerocks said:

Anyone catch Savos mention the mad king when talking to lady Marramont? (I know I spelled that wrong ), he mentioned the mad King practically in the same breath as the White Walkers. Did I not hear correctly? If I did hear correctly, what is he talking about?

Davos said Night King. I often have to turn on subtitles to makes sure I hear things right and Davos has a stronger accent.
    [Deleted User]
    gjulleen said:

Did anyone else catch Margaery is denying Tommen sex? Is that a part of the plan?

Ever since Tywin's death the whole Tyrell alliance to the Lannisters is like being shackled to a corpse. I speculate that the Tyrells want out. Tommen is a "Baratheon" so they don't need Lannisters. With Jaime out of town with I guess a sizable Lannister army, and the Tyrell army in town it wouldn't surprise me if they're staging to make a power move on the Lannisters later.

I wonder if Margaery is able to think far enough ahead that a Dany invasion with dragons is possible. So she's withholding making a heir to be able to throw support behind a Targaryen restoration. The Tyrells were Targ loyalists right until the death of the Mad King. The Tyrells are always flipping sides to be with the winner. Why would Dany be different?
    gjulleenDuncan Macweeniegirl[Deleted User]
  • treerocks said:

Good episode overall except for Arya getting stabbed. I think the double D's got it wrong with Arya.
    They have her walking around Bravos with no disguise, strolling along throwing down judge sums of money, standing on a bridge taking in the sights, then fall for the little old lady trick. This is not the smart savvy Arya we know and love. She might as well have worn a target on her back, she could not have made it anymore easier for the waif. What's up with that double D's?

It is almost as if it really was not the girl...
    TheEconomistGajt530Spud4free
  • edited June 2016

Oh Arya, I thought you would put up a little bit more of a fight. I think she will live, but God damn

I also thought Arya would have had more of a plan to defend herself. They showed her the episode before hiding out in a cave with needle ready for an attack. Something doesn't seem right that she would totally drop her guard. She had to know they were coming for her. Also, there is no way she can survive now without some sort of magic.

Loved Lady Mormoth (sp?) She is badass. I really wish they would just say the name House Forester.

• don't we see Arya jumping out of a window in the trailers? If i am not mistaken this has not happened yet. So apparently she must heal enough to be able to do parkour style ninja moves. 
    ElisaBrawn

• Hatorian said:

don't we see Arya jumping out of a window in the trailers? If i am not mistaken this has not happened yet. So apparently she must heal enough to be able to do parkour style ninja moves. 

They showed that clip again tonight as preview for next week. It looked like Jaqen to me, but I could be wrong. Everyone else seems to think it is Arya.
  • Ramsay better watch out Jon's now got 62 good men...........
    TheEconomistvoodooratAndrew StadlerSchrodingersWight
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @Aspiewithalibrarycard you just described season 6 in a nutshell. This has all been set up with little bread crumb book fan theory service to make it appear like the plot is moving faster than it is.

That being said, I feel like we saw Chekov's axe. I feel like we are going to see the Hound save Brienne who has been strung up by LSH.

I'm also bummed we missed out on Manderly and Frey pie to get crappy child acting. I'm sorry but you can't put Kit and Davos up against a kid, it makes the cringe inducing acting stick out even more.
    Elisa
  • I thought the actress did really well, but no matter how well she does, it's hard to sell a 10 year old in that situation.  I think they should've just aged the character up a few years, but I think they established her age last season in the scene where Stannis receives a raven from her and were a bit stuck. 
    Eine Frau
    edited June 2016
    Luke said:

@Aspiewithalibrarycard you just described season 6 in a nutshell. This has all been set up with little bread crumb book fan theory service to make it appear like the plot is moving faster than it is.

That being said, I feel like we saw Chekov's axe. I feel like we are going to see the Hound save Brienne who has been strung up by LSH.

I'm also bummed we missed out on Manderly and Frey pie to get crappy child acting. I'm sorry but you can't put Kit and Davos up against a kid, it makes the cringe inducing acting stick out even more.

Why are you seemingly so negative on this show every week? Do they ever do anything right for you?
    So when has this show not been a bunch of set up for big payoffs in episodes 8,9,10? Season 1 was solving the mystery of Jon Arryn that led to Ned's death. Season 2 was mostly set up for Blackwater. Season 3 was mostly set up for Red Wedding and conquest of Slaver's Bay. Season 4 was mostly set up for attack on the wall. Season 5 Hardhome and Winterfell.

Compared to the last two books that seem to deliberately slow things down and draw them out, the show moves at lightning speed. In the books, Tyrion still hasn't made it inside Meeren, Sansa just left the Eyrie, Brienne spent two books riding fruitlessly through the country, and so forth.

I don't know how the show could move much faster without people crying plot hole or that's not logistically possible bc we're already straining that now.
    hisdudeness915DeeMichelleweeniegirlDuncan MacElisaSchrodingersWightDrew
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    So no one else is shipping The High Spargery?

I see you, Mr Grabbyhands.
    EltubacabraElisaCarnivalArts
  • Ajas said:

So no one else is shipping The High Spargery?

I see you, Mr Grabbyhands.
    I bet he already has some "...It's the Lord's will" bullshit already lined up Margery. 
    hisdudeness915Eine FrauEltubacabraElisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I loved the dig that Blackfish opened up with against Jaime-- "I assume you're here to fulfill the oath you made my niece, but I don't see Sansa or Arya... Do you wish to resume your captivity?"

Boom.  Roasted.

But I felt like that was a perfect time to remind the audience of the other, equally important part of that oath, which was that Jaime would never take up arms against House Stark nor Tully, which Jaime took very seriously when mulling over how to deal with this siege situation..
    TheEconomistEine FrauCallieEltubacabraElisa[Deleted User]
  • I loved this episode and was thoroughly engaged right from the get-go. I know some see this as just more set-up and it is, but I don't mind when the scenes are this compelling. 

Ian McShane was fantastic as usual and it made me just want to go restart Deadwood right now. Sad to see he only had one episode. 

Nearly every scene had some outstanding character exchanges and I had a smirk on my face through most of the episode. 

Only bits I'm not sure about are Arya being that out in the open and the Brotherhood slaughtering everyone. Though I'm holding off judgement on the Brotherhood stuff until we have a bit more context. Any chance the Hound could be blamed for this slaughter just like so many slaughters in the Riverlands are blamed on him in the books? I could see The Brotherhood spreading that around.

Anyway, I know some will be down on it, but this was an extremely entertaining hour of television for me and the time just flew by.
    DeeDuncan MacElisa
  • Luke said:

Crappy child acting? That was some of the better child acting that I can remember. What constitutes good child acting? 
    MichellelippymattsElisaSchrodingersWight
  • Luke said:

Why are you seemingly so negative on this show every week? Do they ever do anything right for you?
    So when has this show not been a bunch of set up for big payoffs in episodes 8,9,10? Season 1 was solving the mystery of Jon Arryn that led to Ned's death. Season 2 was mostly set up for Blackwater. Season 3 was mostly set up for Red Wedding and conquest of Slaver's Bay. Season 4 was mostly set up for attack on the wall. Season 5 Hardhome and Winterfell.

Compared to the last two books that seem to deliberately slow things down and draw them out, the show moves at lightning speed. In the books, Tyrion still hasn't made it inside Meeren, Sansa just left the Eyrie, Brienne spent two books riding fruitlessly through the country, and so forth.

I don't know how the show could move much faster without people crying plot hole or that's not logistically possible bc we're already straining that now.
    MichellelippyHunterDuncan MacElisaMichaelCJ5[Deleted User]
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Arya scene:
    I see it going two ways:
    1. It's not Arya, is Jaqen. He is using the cover of Arya's "betrayal" to test the Waif. He specifically said to her to not let Arya suffer, and so multiple Jon-esque stab wounds would not meet that requirement. In the end, Jaqen will turn the tables on the Waif for feeling vengeful, and allow Arya to go on her quest to Westeros. 
    2. It is Arya, and she's leaving an obvious blood trail right to her "lair". The setup of the Westerosi galavanting around town showing her gold, and then looking out on the bridge, is all done to bait the Waif. That way, when the Waif catches up to Arya in the dark, she'll be expecting an easy mercy kill but Arya can overpower her overconfidence.
    Either way, I'm sure that both Arya and the writers are smart enough not to let all of this training go to waste. Arya is getting to Westeros.
    HatorianDaveyMacMichelleTheEconomistEine FrauLady C
  • StarkFanWilliStarkFanWilli Monmouth, NJ
    Margaery play the Game better than anyone else has can't wait to see her next move. Also who didn't see the Arya scene coming after she found passage, little disappointed in her not even remotely watching her back. Clearly she didn't die and in my opinion she won't unless it was now, def a full believe the waif is the blue eyes she'll close
    Elisa
  • A few comments for me on the episode;

Arya- even with the stab wounds, still can't think that she's dying.  Otherwise, her storyline is just a big waste of time.  Additionally, Arya had to know that the faceless men would be coming after her, so why in the world was she just wandering about like she didn't have a care in the world?  She couldn't be trying to conceal her identity just a little?  And clearly, she would have had to know to not trust anyone as the faceless men can take anyone's face.  Just wondering now who is going to save her or apply some medical assistance to her.

The Hound- 2 things here- 1) how did he not hear that everyone was being killed?  He wasn't that far away and it's not like 1 or 2 people got killed.  Clearly a few of them would have been screaming as they were being attacked.  2) In the books, I know that LS takes over the Brotherhood, but the Brotherhood was never about just killing random people.  If anything, they were all about saving these random people from the ravages of the war.  Even LS wouldn't just be out to kill these random people.  The only way these people would get killed by LS is if one of the men recognized The Hound and reported back to LS that the Hound was there and then she ordered them to find and kill the Hound.  But to me, that doesn't quite seem realistic here.  Also, if the Houng probably going after the Brotherhood now, not sure how we're getting to the Clegane bowl.  Seems like he's going to be pre-occupied.  It's one thing for him to just be chillin with those guys and being at peace so to speak but now he's on the warpath to get revenge.  Not sure how the Sparrow will just be able to summon him to be their champion and fight his undead brother.   

Sansa- have to believe at the end of this episode she was writing Little Finger to bring the Vale's army to help.  Otherwise, who else was she writing to?  Jon told her that they needed more men to fight, so her sending a raven to LF to help seems only logical to me.  Especially since it seemed like she was doing it in secret.

Jamie- great to see Bronn back.  Very much enjoyed Jamie's scene's, especially with the Blackfish.

Maegery- was happy to see that she is indeed playing her own game here or at least doing what it takes to survive.  Figured she wasn't actually brainwashed by the Sparrow and was just pretending so she could be freed.  Although, how she avoided Tommen from jumping her as soon as he saw her and she was released, I have no idea.  Figured sex would be the first thing on Tommen's mind once he saw her.

Elisa
  • During their scene I half expected Cersei to flip out and have the Mountain smush Olenna's head like a raisin.
    HunterDuncan MacElisa
  • StarkFanWilliStarkFanWilli Monmouth, NJ
    Anyone else waiting for Davos to see Sheerens ashes and go ape shit on the red woman?
    ElisaLady C
  • Dummy said:

Luke said:

Crappy child acting? That was some of the better child acting that I can remember. What constitutes good child acting? 
    He's right, it was bad acting.  It was a 10yo person imitating her acting coach imitating a no-nonsense person with many many years of experience to draw from.  Even if you believe the lines were delivered convincingly (which they weren't), in GoT time she couldn't have been in this role long enough to acquire the wisdom/experience needed to behave this way.  It's not the actress's fault, it's just ridiculous to write a character/part like that, with that kind of responsibility, for a person of that age of either gender.
  • edited June 2016
    [deleted post, totally misunderstood what someone else wrote]
This discussion has been closed.