607 - "The Broken Man" - SPOILER FRIENDLY!!

Comments

• Anyone else waiting for Davos to see Sheerens ashes and go ape shit on the red woman?

As soon as Davos said that bit about Stannis setting up camp in the same location, I was like, "Awwwww shit! He's about to find that carved stag he made Shireen"
    MurderbearEine FrauDuncan MacElisaSchrodingersWightStarkFanWilli
  • Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

@Aspiewithalibrarycard you just described season 6 in a nutshell. This has all been set up with little bread crumb book fan theory service to make it appear like the plot is moving faster than it is.

That being said, I feel like we saw Chekov's axe. I feel like we are going to see the Hound save Brienne who has been strung up by LSH.

I'm also bummed we missed out on Manderly and Frey pie to get crappy child acting. I'm sorry but you can't put Kit and Davos up against a kid, it makes the cringe inducing acting stick out even more.

Crappy child acting? That was some of the better child acting that I can remember. What constitutes good child acting? 
    He's right, it was bad acting.  It was a 10yo person imitating her acting coach imitating a no-nonsense person with many many years of experience to draw from.  Even if you believe the lines were delivered convincingly (which they weren't), in GoT time she couldn't have been in this role long enough to acquire the wisdom/experience needed to behave this way.  It's not the actress's fault, it's just ridiculous to write a character/part like that, with that kind of responsibility, for a person of that age of either gender.
    Ya, ok. What are some examples of good child acting that I can compare this to. I clearly can't tell the difference, and you seem to have this down pat. I'm not buying that she isn't experienced enough to do what she's doing either. She's been the Lady of her house for a few years now, and has been trained to be the Lady of her house for longer. You don't think years of having to listen to people's stuff could give that person enough of experience? 
    SchrodingersWight
  • edited June 2016
    Dummy said:

Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

@Aspiewithalibrarycard you just described season 6 in a nutshell. This has all been set up with little bread crumb book fan theory service to make it appear like the plot is moving faster than it is.

That being said, I feel like we saw Chekov's axe. I feel like we are going to see the Hound save Brienne who has been strung up by LSH.

I'm also bummed we missed out on Manderly and Frey pie to get crappy child acting. I'm sorry but you can't put Kit and Davos up against a kid, it makes the cringe inducing acting stick out even more.

Crappy child acting? That was some of the better child acting that I can remember. What constitutes good child acting? 
    He's right, it was bad acting.  It was a 10yo person imitating her acting coach imitating a no-nonsense person with many many years of experience to draw from.  Even if you believe the lines were delivered convincingly (which they weren't), in GoT time she couldn't have been in this role long enough to acquire the wisdom/experience needed to behave this way.  It's not the actress's fault, it's just ridiculous to write a character/part like that, with that kind of responsibility, for a person of that age of either gender.
    Ya, ok. What are some examples of good child acting that I can compare this to. I clearly can't tell the difference, and you seem to have this down pat. I'm not buying that she isn't experienced enough to do what she's doing either. She's been the Lady of her house for a few years now, and has been trained to be the Lady of her house for longer. You don't think years of having to listen to people's stuff could give that person enough of experience? 
    And this isn't Sansa at 10.

Lyanna Mormont was raised by a warrior woman to be a warrior woman. She was probably raised at her mother's feet learning to rule.

I bought it. Hell, I liked it.

She ruled better than Bran when he was left as Lord of Winterfel. We bought that.
    MelonuskDummyTheEconomistNathanlippyOliviaDmattsCallieEltubacabraElisaand 6 others.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    She's a 10 year old who is in charge of a small island of reclusive warriors. Even her letter last season was no nonsense, straight to the point. I loved it. These Northern houses WANT to stick behind the Starks but our three amigos didn't exactly practice their pitch. They aren't really bringing a lot to the table.
    DummyTheEconomistlippyElisaSchrodingersWight
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited June 2016
    Dummy said:

Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

Indeed. Lady Mormont probably was "coached" to talk that way by her maester and master of arms and whatever castellan is left at Bear Island. Just like maester Luwin did with Bran. I think Lady Mormont consulted her advisers before the Starks even entered her keep on the situation. So to have some predetermined questions and stern delivery seem coached only makes sense to me.

Do you want your young lord to come off as some childish doofus like Robyn Arryn or wishy washy soft like Tommen when dealing with people like Stannis or the Starks? Nope. So talking tough and being stern coaching it is.
    MelonuskDummyEltubacabraElisaDaveyMacSchrodingersWight
    Yeah, she had to have been coached. She is still 10 after all. By the way, was it just me or did that Man at Arms guy (whoever he was, just not the Maester) look EXACTLY like Stannis?

Also, Sansa I guess confirmed once and for all Stannis the Mannis is dead. And Brienne chopped that head off.
    TheEconomistElisa
  • This is sort of a comment from episode 6 in regard to Bran's visions that I didn't notice until rewatching it after last week's spoiler cast... Is it just me or does it sound like in some of the sound bytes that Mad King is saying "Burn the wall" rather than "burn them all" and that Bran Hodor'd him??
    Elisa
  • Dummy said:

Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

Indeed. Lady Mormont probably was "coached" to talk that way by her maester and master of arms and whatever castellan is left at Bear Island. Just like maester Luwin did with Bran. I think Lady Mormont consulted her advisers before the Starks even entered her keep on the situation. So to have some predetermined questions and stern delivery seem coached only makes sense to me.
    That's at least how I took it. She probably also has some memory of her mom dressing people down as well, and she's partially imitating that. Ultimately, it's people's opinion and if they disagree, that's fine. Both Jim and Aron didn't find it believable as well. I thought the child actress did a great job at delivering the lines she had, and portraying a tough no nonsense little girl. I can't think of any way should could have done a better job. 

lippyDaveyMac
  • I found it interesting that the episode was bookended with the Hound and Arya. Hound survives a seemingly mortal wound and Arya staggers off with a similar gash. Then something I noticed during the episode nagged at me:

where was needle???!?!?! why would Arya stroll through the streets of Braavos, tossing bags of money to ship captains in an open market when she's sleeping in a dark alley? and why wouldn't she carry a weapon?

Either the DDs did a lazy job of trying to get Arya out of Braavos or something else is afoot.
    lippyOldGriswold
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited June 2016
    To be clear, there are things I liked about the episode.

Yara/Theon are quickly becoming my favorite characters, mostly because their actors are killing it this season. It's unfortunate that I feel like Yara is getting Martin's Razered into Quentyn and is going to get snubbed by Dany and get roasted by dragons. After all Dany needs 1000 ships, and I don't think Yara has that.

I love the Hound on a mission of vengnece, but I'm guarding my expectations. It doesn't seem like Cleganebowl is happening this season so I'm trying not to get too hyped.

I'm puzzled by what they are doing with Arya, because she seems to have reverted back to her season 1 character of a lost Stark with no one to care for her. I wonder if we aren't going to get some mind bending twist where the stabbed girl is really the waif, if it was all a dream, or some vision Jaquen is showing her. Not sure how I would feel about that, but surely she can't die yet right? But maybe so.

Riverrun was also impressive, they did go all out on the effects and the sets. If it's one thing you can't fault the show for this season it's effects. We have come a long way since the Never Ending Story level stuff last season.

I for one don't get why anyone cares if I criticize the show. I'm not saying no one should like it, but in truth the way they are telling the story this season just isn't connecting with me like in past seasons.

If you are personally offended I don't like the show or feel I should stop watching it or commenting it, then I guess you are just getting a taste of what it's like to be a fan of the walking dead. Because I know there is a minority fan base on here that constantly has to put up with people shitting all over that show.
    Elisa
    edited June 2016

I found it interesting that the episode was bookended with the Hound and Arya. Hound survives a seemingly mortal wound and Arya staggers off with a similar gash. Then something I noticed during the episode nagged at me:

where was needle???!?!?! why would Arya stroll through the streets of Braavos, tossing bags of money to ship captains in an open market when she's sleeping in a dark alley? and why wouldn't she carry a weapon?

Either the DDs did a lazy job of trying to get Arya out of Braavos or something else is afoot.

I am more and more convinced something else is afoot especially after Jaqen gave explicit orders to not let a girl suffer. To be reemphasized in the recap may or may not be meaningful but I think there's something there.
    lippyjkmiller826CallieElisaSchrodingersWight
  • Dummy said:

Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

There's so many examples of good child acting, that deserves it's own thread.  Again, while not the fault of the child actor, it was an imitation as I described above, not an acting performance.  The writing, dialogue, context etc. was that of a much older person with way way more than 2 years of life experience, let alone experience in that role to draw from.
    @Luke

Those are good takes. It just seems you only list negatives every week (I could be wrong) when there's so much going right about the show.

I think there's something to that Yara/Theon razored into Quentyn but it maybe Theon trying to prove his manhood who gets roasted. He has no real plot left and it would be more tragic for him to die. Yara is the only person who could challenge Euron down the line. But also maybe they go full 360 redemption for Theon. Either way it's a good take being they being razored into Quentyn.
    Elisa
  • I am more and more convinced something else is afoot especially after Jaqen gave explicit orders to not let a girl suffer.

So many clues, right? And then she staggers through the city, so everyone can see her bleeding. Maybe she wants to be seen so the waif knows and it lures her into a trap. And to book passage in a cabin, not hidden away in steerage? That wasn't accidental. Long before her stint as a FM, Arya did everything not to get noticed. To travel in grand fashion is also out of character.

DDs can't take Arya away that easy.
    lippyElisaDaveyMac
  • Luke said:

To be clear, there are things I liked about the episode.

Yara/Theon are quickly becoming my favorite characters, mostly because their actors are killing it this season. It's unfortunate that I feel like Yara is getting Martin's Razered into Quentyn and is going to get snubbed by Dany and get roasted by dragons. After all Dany needs 1000 ships, and I don't think Yara has that.

I love the Hound on a mission of vengnece, but I'm guarding my expectations. It doesn't seem like Cleganebowl is happening this season so I'm trying not to get too hyped.

I'm puzzled by what they are doing with Arya, because she seems to have reverted back to her season 1 character of a lost Stark with no one to care for her. I wonder if we aren't going to get some mind bending twist where the stabbed girl is really the waif, if it was all a dream, or some vision Jaquen is showing her. Not sure how I would feel about that, but surely she can't die yet right? But maybe so.

Riverrun was also impressive, they did go all out on the effects and the sets. If it's one thing you can't fault the show for this season it's effects. We have come a long way since the Never Ending Story level stuff last season.

I for one don't get why anyone cares if I criticize the show. I'm not saying no one should like it, but in truth the way they are telling the story this season just isn't connecting with me like in past seasons.

If you are personally offended I don't like the show or feel I should stop watching it or commenting it, then I guess you are just getting a taste of what it's like to be a fan of the walking dead. Because I know there is a minority fan base on here that constantly has to put up with people shitting all over that show.

I welcome criticism as long as it's insightful/logical etc.  There's a large contingent on the internet who only want reinforcement for the things they like.  Anything to the contrary is attacked and reduced with labels like "hater," etc, or an attempt to change the argument like "name things you like and then I'll attack that instead of focusing on the discussion at hand."
    voodooratDaveyMac
  • Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

I thought it was an excellent scene and loved it. /shrug
    lippyTheEconomistchriskElisaCadleighUnderwood
  • Any idea where the Greyjoys are? I feel like we have seen that bridge before...
    Could it be Bravos? And Theon is going to find/save Arya?
    Callie
  • lippylippy Australia
    I know it made sense coming from a religious dude, and goes with the 'times' but was anyone else grossed out when the high sparrow was telling Margery, it didn't matter if she didn't enjoy sex, her duty as a wife was just to lay back and endure it.

I was like eeewwww!!! He needs to die already. He just reminds me of my Catholic upbringing and the shitty backwards views they have of women, so I'm totally biased.

Also I loved Lady Mormont she was a little badass. I hope we see more of her, was she at the Stark battle camp with everyone?
    TheEconomistElisaDee
    edited June 2016

Any idea where the Greyjoys are? I feel like we have seen that bridge before...
    Could it be Bravos? And Theon is going to find/save Arya?

Volantis, I believe.
    TheEconomistvoodooratElisa
    Back to the Bear Island thing real quick. After Lady Mormont said they had 62 men to give, Jon shot Sansa a look like, really? Wouldn't they both have known they had a very small force? I mean, I guess you gotta start somewhere but it seems like it would be pretty common knowledge to them how big (roughly) their force was.
    Eltubacabra
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I hope we get a bunch of awesome Deadwood/GOT crossover memes, or audio clips of Swearingen laid over Meribald's scenes.

"Look at this bunch of hoopleheads!"
    Dummy
    Sandor, I need you to go kill your cocksuckin brother.
    DummyApril_May_June
  • Arya - Obviously they won't let her die. I don't think it was a fake. She was stabbed. I think they neglected to show that time had passed between her being in the cave and her showing up at a port, with fresh clothes and bags of coin. Hastily done due to it being a tv show.

But they showed her crawling out of the river which seems to indicate she was really hurt as opposed to being a ruse. My guess is that another character will save her. The question is who.

Hound - I was also surprised the brotherhood slaughtered the innocents. The only explanation I can come up with is 1) the Ian McShane character was a former soldier who cut down children and he got his comeuppance: 2) religious war since they followed the Seven.

Sansa - Most likely writing Petyr. My question here is what Petyr's end game is. He's always 2 steps ahead. How does he benefit if he helps Sansa take back Winterfell. He wanted to be Warden of the North and then make his way to King.

Margaery - Obviously playing the Seven but how is she going to get power? Maybe she's just biding her time and looking for an opportunity.

Yarra- Just gotta say that I liked the girl on girl action. Woot! Great acting by Theon's character.

The only question I have is how will Yarra convince Daenarys to join forces. It doesn't seem like a likely alliance (though they each have what the other needs).
    TheEconomistElisa
    edited June 2016
    Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Jujee said:

Dummy said:

Luke said:

There's so many examples of good child acting, that deserves it's own thread.  Again, while not the fault of the child actor, it was an imitation as I described above, not an acting performance.  The writing, dialogue, context etc. was that of a much older person with way way more than 2 years of life experience, let alone experience in that role to draw from.

I guess a little girl imitating tough and stern adult people and using their language is exactly what I'd expect in that adult context of running a feudal house. So that doesn't bother me. I suppose I'm ignorant in what to expect in this situation if it doesn't ring true. I'd like to discuss what you'd think a more authentic portrayal would be. Different dialogue, mannerisms?
    Duncan MacDeeDaveyMac
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'd be pretty pissed if I hired a Faceless Man assassination at the prices they charge and they went and fell for the "no way she survived the survivable fall into that water" trick.
    TheEconomistLanieloveBrawnEltubacabraElisaUnderwood
  • Maisie Williams did a fantastic job in her scene.   I could feel the fear and desperation of her trying to find help.   
       Is Sam there yet?
  • I'd be pretty pissed if I hired a Faceless Man assassination at the prices they charge and they went and fell for the "no way she survived the survivable fall into that water" trick.

It would basically be the beginning of The Bourne Supremacy. They hire an assassin to kill Jason Bourne, he sees the car go into the river and thinks "Ya, no way that secret CIA operative lived that". 
    TheEconomistEltubacabra
  • Hunter said:

Maisie Williams did a fantastic job in her scene.   I could feel the fear and desperation of her trying to find help.   

Is Sam there yet?
    Is he Braavos-bound?  Do we know where he's headed now (since unless he's nuts it's not Oldtown).
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    One thing to remember about the Brotherhood is that after Barric dies for good giving life to LSH, the whole organization goes to pot. Thoros more or less says that they splintered and most of the forder Brotherhood are no better than bandits. Which tracks with what we saw in the episode.
    MurderbearTheEconomistBrawnDaveyMac
  • Is he Braavos-bound?  Do we know where he's headed now (since unless he's nuts it's not Oldtown).
       Did they cross paths in the book? 
This discussion has been closed.