607 - "The Broken Man" - SPOILER FRIENDLY!!

Comments

• davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I'll worry about Arya when we get to a situation where she has to fight the Waif whilst having the injuries, I have a strange feeling that this wouldn't happen in the overall narrative because then what was the purpose in all the time devoted to Arya in the show and the books. 

I'm also not super hyped for Cleganebowl just because now that Septon Meribald is dead what link does Sandor really have the faith to be nominated by the faith for the trial by combat, whilst I hope like hell that's going to happen I'm struggling to see how its going to be written in but then we also didn't think Coldhands was going to make an appearance either.

I really liked the Kings Landing stuff this week mainly because the actors killed it and its always good for Cersai to get put back in her place. I'm really interesting in the Tommen angle especially if the Tommen is the Champion of the faith, the little brother/valonqar prophecy could still be fulfilled if Tommen wins as he is a little brother. 

Can't wait for next week especially to get back to Bran, and I believe we might be a LSH reveal but I could also see that being E10 post siege of Riverrun 

• I just finished listening to the podcast. Another good job by A Ron and Jim!

Good luck to A Ron's father and the entire family...

I was shocked to hear that the woman playing the abusive Septa might be hot, but... well, see for yourself!

Elisa
  • I think think that critics of the actress who portrayed Lady Lyanna Mormont think she did not have the gravitas to pull her character mainly because of her age.  I saw her performance as sass.  You don't need a lifetime of experience to pull off sass.  My sister at around her age had sass and now my nieces, her daughters, are displaying it much to my chagrin.  With some arrogance, self-awareness, and the right kind of encouragement and support she can rule her kind of house with sass.  Her letter to Stannis certainly set up the personality I expected.  Davos does know how to make a convincing speech even if itʻs to a sassy child.  And like A_Ron, I wonder why Jon did not lead off with Longclaw at Bear Island.

I am scared Sansa asked for Littlefingerʻs help, her face shows she doesnʻt want to but Jon wants to fight already.  I am disappointed that Jon is choosing to go to battle outnumbered with a mostly Wilding force, which most of the North is instinctively against.  The Glovers bummed me out, mostly for showing that Jon and Sansa, and perhaps mostly Sansa, have overestimated the loyalty the other houses toward what is left of the Starks; and that Jon and Sansa have no political skill at all regardless of what she thinks she learned.

I think Brieanne will help the Blackfish escape and with Jamieʻs blessing or at least knowledge.  The Tully army disperses and meets up with Jon and Sansa prior to the battle.  With the apparent death of Lady Lyannaʻs mother, it seems like legitimization through Robʻs Will is no longer viable, which makes the reveal of Jonʻs parentage less complicated, I guess.  And Ayra walking around Bravos like a rich person and No One not notice her?  Come on!

Overall I liked the episode, The Hound especially, but I am bummed that remaining Starks are not turning out as bad ass as I thought they would be by now, especially after the first half of this season.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    this is all over twitter and reddit but I think its really funny

MurderbearHatorianTheEconomistElisahisdudeness915SchrodingersWightBrawnDummypavlovsbellFreddyand 7 others.
  • I really hope the Arya stabbing doesn't turn out to be a vision or a bad dream (i.e. not reality). That would be a pretty weak out after having an extended scene of her falling into the river, crawling out and trudging through the street for all to see. Showing it in the following episode would make me pretty upset. 

Elisa

• i don't know about dream, but I've seen a lot of people speculating that it was a Tyler durden scenario, with arya's "no one"side killing what is left of her personality.
  • Found it a bit ironic and poignant, that despite all the high-falutin talk of duty, honor and sacrifice of the North houses, Jon and Sansa ended up getting the most help with the least amount of arm-twisting from the Wildlings.
    Duncan MacgjulleenTheEconomistDaveyMac
  • MuyiwaMuyiwa Ocean, NJ
    Was out last night, just saw the episodes. This was the hour of the badass.

Lady Mormont (if that was bad child acting, I don't want to see a good one), Lady Olenna dressing down Cersei, the Blackfish, and Sandor. Great fun was had.

Re: Arya slipping up, yeah I was rathe concerned that she was gallivanting around the city, but at the end of the day she's still just a kid. People fuck up, so did she. Only other explanation is that some other shenanigans are afoot.

I really could watch that scene of Olenna ripping into Cersei over and over again.

@Luke you're more than welcome to dislike the show or episodes, but your reasoning was really concerning. Yes, every single episode is set up for the next. That is the very nature of serialized storytelling. Strange that you don't levy that same accusation against the books.
    Duncan Machisdudeness915
  • edited June 2016
    Muyiwa said:

Lady Mormont (if that was bad child acting, I don't want to see a good one), Lady Olenna dressing down Cersei, the Blackfish, and Sandor. Great fun was had.

Re: Arya slipping up, yeah I was rathe concerned that she was gallivanting around the city, but at the end of the day she's still just a kid. People fuck up, so did she. Only other explanation is that some other shenanigans are afoot.

I really could watch that scene of Olenna ripping into Cersei over and over again.

@Luke you're more than welcome to dislike the show or episodes, but your reasoning was really concerning. Yes, every single episode is set up for the next. That is the very nature of serialized storytelling. Strange that you don't levy that same accusation against the books.

"Gallivanting" - isn't that the kind of fancy word people start using when they get their cock cut off? Is there something you are not telling us?  ;)

kojiattwoodTheEconomisthisdudeness915MurderbearpavlovsbellMelonuskCallie
  • So I've been thinking about how the Hound will become the champion. He goes for vengeance against the Brotherhood and meets up with LSH. He wrecks shop but is stopped by LSH. LSH wanting revenge on Cersei and the Lannisters asks the Hound to be the Champion and informs him that the Mountain will be his opponent. boom. cleganbowl. 
  • I just finished listening to the podcast. Another good job by A Ron and Jim!

I was shocked to hear that the woman playing the abusive Septa might be hot, but... well, see for yourself!

you can tell she is pretty fit under that dress. 
    Duncan Mac

• Hatorian said:

I just finished listening to the podcast. Another good job by A Ron and Jim!

you can tell she is pretty fit under that dress. 

I agree. I am pretty shocked, even with the face. I had her pegged as some soviet bloc Romanian power lifter who was in the steroid and hormone program since she was 8.

She looks mighty fine to these old eyes.

• SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Duncan MacTheEconomistElisaSchrodingersWightBrawnMelonusk
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @SchrodingersWight

I would be impressed if Sansa wrote directly to Robyn Arryn and tried to bypass Littlefinger for the Knights of the Vale. If she could convince her cousin to help on her own she may be able to steer things better and be less beholden to Littlefinger.

Other random thought: the Lannister siblings LOVE slapping people.
    kojiattwoodDuncan MacSchrodingersWightlippypavlovsbellDaveyMac
  • The Lannister pimp hand is strong, indeed. 
    Duncan MacpavlovsbelllippyTheEconomist
  • MuyiwaMuyiwa Ocean, NJ

Muyiwa said:

"Gallivanting" - isn't that the kind of fancy word people start using when they get their cock cut off? Is there something you are not telling us?  ;)

I TOLD YOU THAT IN CONFIDENCE!!
    hisdudeness915pavlovsbellTheEconomistDuncan Mac
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2016
    The Sparrow wants Loras to relinquish his title and claim to the Tyrell estate. Why would the HS care? Would that make Margaery next in line to inherit? Or Margaery's son, if she has one? 

If Tommen dies before producing offspring, then who is in line for the crown? Jaime, now that he is no longer Kingsguard? Kevan Lannister? If Kevan meets an untimely end, then Lancel? *gasp*

WHERE IS GENDRY?
    trippylippyTheEconomistDaveyMac
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    lel @ anyone complaining about Jim and Aron not liking Lady Mormont because she's a girl. As if they haven't spoken out about shit depictions of women and bullshit sexism in the past.

Also, prepare your assholes for the implosion of the Internet when Lady Mormont is killed. The only reason you bring that little girl with you to the battle is so she can die and people are going to freak.
    Duncan MacCallie
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited June 2016
    I hope Gendry is with the Brotherhood because his character is literally no one and I can't believe people are still asking about him. Sorry @pavlovsbell you're still a G in my mind though.
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2016
    Drew said:

I hope Gendry is with the Brotherhood because his character is literally no one and I can't believe people are still asking about him. Sorry @pavlovsbell you're still a G in my mind though.

Hahaha @Drew, I've taken on the Gendry Truther cause as a joke. Everyone else and their Hounds are returning this season (but forget about poor direwolves), so why not Gendry? It amuses me.

DrewTheEconomist
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    If Ghost dies we riot
    trippypavlovsbellDummyCallieSchrodingersWight
  • edited June 2016

I am not convinced the introduction of The Hound means that we will see 'CleganeBowl'.  The timing or his need to get to Kings Landing for this is questionable.  I am also not convinced the trial will go ahead.  Now that the Sparrow is alongside the king where is the benefit for him to announce that Thommen is the result of incest and is not a Baratheon?  He will lose his influence on the Crown as Thommen is not the rightful heir to the Throne. 

hisdudeness915ElisaCallie
  • The Sparrow wants Loras to relinquish his title and claim to the Tyrell estate. Why would the HS care? Would that make Margaery next in line to inherit? Or Margaery's son, if she has one? 

If Tommen dies before producing offspring, then who is in line for the crown? Jaime, now that he is no longer Kingsguard? Kevan Lannister? If Kevan meets an untimely end, then Lancel? *gasp*

WHERE IS GENDRY?
    @pavlovsbell The way I see it, he wants the crown to be religious zealots in order to give him behind the scenes power, starting with Tommen and Margaery. I don't see how any Lannister has a claim to the throne through anything but brute force, hence the HS sending Jaime away with his army. Tommen is the last "Baratheon" and after him, the line would go to the Tyrells, no? Except Loras gets in the way of this because he's above Margaery in the line of succession, hence the HS wanting him to relinquish his title, and why he wants Margaery and Tommen breeding like rabbits, to secure the line of puppet kings. 

I don't see how Gendry could or would ever be legitimized.
    [Deleted User]
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    What is going on with my favorite podcast? @A_Ron_Hubbard is correcting @Jim on his pronunciation of names? Septa Ulna? Baldy McMeribald? AND he busted out some book knowledge that A.Ron didn't remember? What is going on??
    kojiattwoodCallie
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @Philip G I also wonder if we are actually going to get a trial by combat at all. Going by the previews it seems like either next episode or at least the one after the situation between the High Sparrow and Cersi is going to come to a head. I agree I don't see how the Hound makes it back to Kings Landing in time, and it he would be able to make it there before either Cersi or High Sparrow are dead.

That being said if the Mountain zombie makes it through the King's Landing drama this season I think the Hound and him are bound to fight at some point.
  • edited June 2016
    What if Lady Crane was really Jaqen (or any faceless man)?
    The play with it's "this is your life, Arya Stark" vibe seemed a little too coincidental.

The fact that Cersei was on Arya's kill list and now she's given the opportunity to not only see the beheading of Ned again, which will bring back all of her anger, but is given the assignment to kill the actress who is the embodiment of Cersei, seems like a different kind of test. Not a test of whether she will blindly do as told (kill Lady Crane), but a test of whether Arya can put her own feelings aside about her past to see the person beneath the Cersei costume.

It would be all too easy to see the play reminding her of her anger and hatred then not only kill Cersei (via Lady Crane as surrogate) but to do so with vengeance. Instead, Arya observed the actors as people not the characters they portrayed. 

*Edited to add...

The Arya we see boldly strutting around Braavos, flashing money about, etc. is clearly a ruse. Whether it's Arya trying to lure the Waif into attacking, Jaqen (or other Faceless Man) in disguise, or another mental battle between Arya Stark and Arya as Waif (as some theories go) is still in question of course. The fact that the Faceless Men are located in The House of Black and White lends itself to the theory that the struggle between Arya and Waif is really the struggle between good/evil, right/wrong, honour/vengeance, real/imagined things within Arya herself which is the true testing ground.

(Aside: My overall Arya theory is that Syrio Ferel (a Braavosi, who told Arya tales of Braavos) was a Faceless Man, possibly Jaqen, and Arya has been in training and testing from Season 1. Shortly after she looses Syrio she meets Jaqen, who was captured and held at the Red Keep then was in transit to the wall, we know he's a Faceless Man with magic and skill at his disposal. It doesn't add up that he'd be passively in captivity... in the same group as Arya, whom he engages in conversations... just feels like a set up from the beginning that was she being led to this.)
    TheEconomistDuncan Mac
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    The name of the episode with the reveal/occurance of the Cleganebowl would absolutely be "The Valonqar," right?

The general populace is going to assume it's a reference to Cersei's prophecy, but Sandor IS the Mountain's younger brother. Might even reference something happening with Benjen (Ned's younger brother), Theon or Rickon, too.

Anyone else want to join me in pre-emptively Name Gaming this shit?
  • Margery clearly has a plan, but unfortunately, the high Sparrow must have something up his sleeve as well. What does he gain if Margery is pregnant? Do you think Tommen volunteered that information to the High Sparrow? I'm not sure if he would. More Likely he asked Tommen. Which seems like a strange thing for a religious figure to be involved with. Maybe the High Sparrow is trying to avoid a takeover, with the knowledge that Tommen and Margery consummated thier marriage she is officially bound to Tommen and the Lannister family. That way he has Tommen wrapped around his finger and Margery stuck. The very next thing he says to Margery is a veiled threat to her grandmother. Maybe he did so knowing Margery will tell her grandmother to leave and if Lady Olena leaves, she takes her army with her. No Lannister or Tyrell army in town makes not just Cersi vulnerable, but Tommen and Margery as well. I'm all in on Team Margery, but just wary the High Sparrow will go away quietly.

Any ideas as to what the High Sparrow is up to?
  • lippylippy Australia
    Philip G said:

I am not convinced the introduction of The Hound means that we will see 'CleganeBowl'.  The timing or his need to get to Kings Landing for this is questionable.  I am also not convinced the trial will go ahead.  Now that the Sparrow is alongside the king where is the benefit for him to announce that Thommen is the result of incest and is not a Baratheon?  He will lose his influence on the Crown as Thommen is not the rightful heir to the Throne. 

I don't think the high sparrow knows or has proof of Tommon being a product of incest. Cersei is on trial for banging her cousin Lansil not Jamie.

• treerocks said:

Margery clearly has a plan, but unfortunately, the high Sparrow must have something up his sleeve as well. What does he gain if Margery is pregnant? Do you think Tommen volunteered that information to the High Sparrow? I'm not sure if he would. More Likely he asked Tommen. Which seems like a strange thing for a religious figure to be involved with. Maybe the High Sparrow is trying to avoid a takeover, with the knowledge that Tommen and Margery consummated thier marriage she is officially bound to Tommen and the Lannister family. That way he has Tommen wrapped around his finger and Margery stuck. The very next thing he says to Margery is a veiled threat to her grandmother. Maybe he did so knowing Margery will tell her grandmother to leave and if Lady Olena leaves, she takes her army with her. No Lannister or Tyrell army in town makes not just Cersi vulnerable, but Tommen and Margery as well. I'm all in on Team Margery, but just wary the High Sparrow will go away quietly.

Any ideas as to what the High Sparrow is up to?

@pavlovsbell

@trippy

@ghm3

I missed your posts, just wondering what you thought of My post above.
This discussion has been closed.