"Galavant"

Or as I like to call it, dick joke the musical! (Seriously, jesus christ, don't gather the kiddies around to watch this one! Which I am totally fine with btw) I am guessing the Bald Move crowd won't be too into this, but is anyone watching it, what are we thinking so far?

I think it's super fun, with good, albeit repetitive songs, great humor - naming a character Sir Jean Hamm, fucking great! The story I wish was a bit more original, and to be honest, I really wish this thing was a much longer production. Everything is SOO rushed, I want more time getting to know these charachters and seeing thier interactions. I wish the series had been around 13-14 episodes, with one song per show.

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2015
    I've been super psyched waiting for this, but it is sitting on my DVR and my wife and I haven't gotten to it yet (probably tonight). I really like Tim Omundson (and is the leading woman Shanna Malway-Tweep from Parks and Rec?) and it looks like a great role for him. I was bummed when I heard it was only an 8 episode run, but hopefully that will help them be concise about it. I'll report back after I've had a chance to see it, but I'm pretty into it in theory. Hopefully it has a sort of Princess Bride sense of humor about it. I'm glad that you liked it, especially since it seems like it hit the notes that I wanted it to hit. Can't wait to watch it.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thanks for the suggestion...just added it to my DVR. Episode 1 is repeating Saturday.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2015
    My wife and I watched the first 2 that they initially aired back to back and we really enjoyed it. It is basically exactly what I wanted/expected it to be. It may not be the best thing that I've ever seen or anything, but it's totally fun and refreshingly different in tone and presentation. Carlton Lassiter is great as King Richard (which makes me very happy), it has a great sense of humor, the songs are fun (though you're right, perhaps they could be a little less repetitive). I'm very happy with it and I'm excited to see it all play out.

There is one really, really big complaint, but it isn't with the show. I'd like to toss out a HUGE middle finger at the ABC marketing department for incorporating the already a little overdone main song into all of the commercials for their shows. Did nobody think this may be a bad idea, even make people like Galavant less? I mean, I could see the first round of commercials, just to create a bit of momentum, but at least 2 commercials using the song per block of commercials for an hour?! If I had been less interested in the show to begin with I could see myself being really, really turned off by it. It was just so incredibly obnoxious. If you haven't watched it yet, either fast forward the commercials or mute everything as soon as they start. It was the worst!
  • KenzieKenzie Sanger, Tx
    I only saw that commercial once, and it was in a movie theater. And I still haven't watch the show yet but it's sitting recorded in my DVR.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2015
    I didn't like the second set quite as much as the first set (I guess they are airing 2 episodes a night), but there were still some really fun moments and it's moving along nicely. The way I see it, this is one of those shows where you'll probably know by your reaction to the previews whether you will like it or not. I think it sort of wears its identity on its sleeve and it makes good on the show that the commercials promise it to be. It's definitely not for everyone, but my wife and I have been having a lot of fun with it.

Plus, "Pop, Pop!"
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited January 2015
    POP, POP!!! OMFG!!!!
    Holy shit, you just blew my mind.
  • Ha! Fuck yeah, Magnitude!
    Speaking of Magnitude, do you know when Yahoo is releasing the last season of Community?
  • It looks like 3/17 is the premier date. I'm not sure if they're going to dump them all at once or spread it out though. I hope the shift to yahoo doesn't mess with the quality. I'd love to see that show end on a high note.
    Two days after my birthday! :) Awesome. Yeah, I have no idea if Yahoo has ever released any media before, so I don't know if it will be a Netflix streaming deal or if you pay for each episode like iTunes. I am utterly amazed by Yahoo pretty much saying, "Hey Dan Harmon, wanna do another season? Where buying!" Season 5 was a refreshing return for the show - but the ending fell pretty flat for me. All I want is a good wrap of for the characters - I am sure Yahoo is given Harmon complete control, so that should be good.
  • Hear, hear to all of that! I thought Season 5 was pretty good, but you're right. The end was kind of meh. As much as his arc became exceedingly frustrating with all of the descent into madness stuff I still really miss the Chevy Chase from the first couple of seasons. He was such a great part of their formula. That said, even when it was at it's lowest in Season 4 (and it felt like, well felt like what it was other people making a knock off of Community with the same cast and locations and title) I always laughed a couple of times and had fun. I'm really excited to see what Harmon does with it from here.

I'm pretty sure, not 100%, but maybe 90% sure that at least it will be free on Yahoo. I've watched other things on Yahoo Screen before (mostly just using it like youtube for SNL sketches), but it seems like just a "click and watch" kind of a thing they have going on there. I figure it'll all be about the clicks and the ad revenue.
    Oh awesome! Yeah this season will be sans Pierce, Shirley and Troy - big losses, which really sucks. It can't be the same dynamic without those peps
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Ready for season 2, guys? I've been counting down. I am the kind of excited that only medieval musicals can get me.

King Richard and Galavant off on a secret mission (a totally secret scheme) together? GIMME.
    Travis
    Travis said:

My wife and I watched the first 2 that they initially aired back to back and we really enjoyed it. It is basically exactly what I wanted/expected it to be. It may not be the best thing that I've ever seen or anything, but it's totally fun and refreshingly different in tone and presentation. Carlton Lassiter is great as King Richard (which makes me very happy), it has a great sense of humor, the songs are fun (though you're right, perhaps they could be a little less repetitive). I'm very happy with it and I'm excited to see it all play out.

There is one really, really big complaint, but it isn't with the show. I'd like to toss out a HUGE middle finger at the ABC marketing department for incorporating the already a little overdone main song into all of the commercials for their shows. Did nobody think this may be a bad idea, even make people like Galavant less? I mean, I could see the first round of commercials, just to create a bit of momentum, but at least 2 commercials using the song per block of commercials for an hour?! If I had been less interested in the show to begin with I could see myself being really, really turned off by it. It was just so incredibly obnoxious. If you haven't watched it yet, either fast forward the commercials or mute everything as soon as they start. It was the worst!

I don't have TV, so I never heard about this until now. It definitely adds more nuance to their season 2 opening song.

Travis
    edited January 2016
    Wow, hats off to the show for that trailer - that was brilliant. I love the self deprecating humor - btw this show totally should have won an Emmy...what did Modern Family win again???

So excited, this was a gem of a show, and I was really worried it would not get renewed because its sort of a specific niche. But every week is was a ton of fun and the music was great. 

Travis
    I wonder what you think of tonight's episodes, @aberry89 ?

SPOILERY

I thought they were good. Not amazing. I hope they do some introducing of more characters because it kind of felt like a lot of recapping. I think the next 2 episodes next week will reveal a lot. And, I hope the Enchanted Forest characters aren't totally gone. Like, the Queen character (can't remember her actual name). She was so random if that's a one-off...

Travis
    edited January 2016
    Same feelings, good not amazing.  I like that they addressed that the kiss was awkward because i was re-watching season 1 and noticed that and thought that was a little odd if that was where they were going to leave it between those two. 

The queen in the bar - what even the fuck, I have no idea...best guess, just wanted to get Galavant's shirt off early in the season to keep us coming back? I mean that song was literally about taking shirts off... Pfftttt XD  I dunno. 

I do like the duo of the Queen and Gareth, they are fun together. 

And the virginity unicorn :D  That was great. 

Travis
  • I really enjoyed the don't give a f*** attitude of the opening number of the season premiere. Just making fun of themselves as well as everything else on TV. There was a surprising amount of fourth wall breaking humor in that episode too.
    Travis
    edited January 2016
    It's hard to say how good the show is at this point. It seems to be getting worse. But, it's not getting that much worse... I'd say a 60%-80% drop in quality. Rewatching will help me hone those numbers in better, but that won't be any time soon. It's a good sign that I know I will be able to rewatch.

But gosh, that 5th episode was a struggle. The funniest stuff was the giants/dwarves bit, or should I say the only funny stuff. I thought we were going to have a Galavant/Richard angry song at the beginning and instead we got a throwaway about believing in oneself. I enjoyed the West Side Story homage.

The 6th episode though! That was one of the best. I love that they brought Galavant's dad back into the plot and I was laughing continuously at the tapestry photo scene. Sid's song was good, Galavant's song was better. The coincidence forest! And it's good to have Isabella back. The bra, so inspired.

Are you guys still watching?

I didn't comment last week, but the "Maybe you won't die alone" song is my favorite of the season and is better than many songs in season 1. I rewatched it about 15 times last week and bought the track on iTunes.

*takes opportunity to watch again*

@Whedonite @aberry89 @trav
    edited January 2016
    I thought this season was so-so until episodes 5 & 6, which I felt were so far the funniest. Nick Frost as the head of the Giant squad was a nice surprise, he is always great. When one of the giants accidentally started walking off with the dwarves and Nick Frost had to call him back, that was hilarious. 

The kings song with his lizard, I me and my friend who I watch this with just had our head in our hands cracking up...WHAT IS THIS SHOW???

The music has taken a bit of dip in quality, I agree, but I did love the "Maybe you Wont Die Alone" song -- actually has a really pretty melody :). It was like a mix of "Kiss the Girl" and "Bella Notte" "The only songs I got last year were "Maybe Your not the Worst Thing Ever" and the main theme. (yeah, i know ,but i only saw like one commercial, because i don't watch cable, so I wasn't inundated with it.)

I am gunning for Galavant and Isabella to get back together. They had great chemistry and I've been missing it this season!

Yes, the giant walking off with the dwarves was my first laugh of the episode. It caught me off guard and I laughed quite loudly.

Love the Galavant/Isabella chemistry. "Someone who's small and cute and... ethnically hard to pin down!"

You know, I've been remembering parts of season 1, like the "moment in the sun" running joke, and am not seeing anything like this in season 2. But whatever, this season is far from a disappointment. I'm enjoying it.

@aberry89
    I am really loving the later half of this season. It may be a little less tight, but the jokes are coming thick and fast and for the most part, they kill - it's a show I regularly laugh out loud to. 

Think my favorite song of this week, was "Goodbye", short but sweet, and hilarious. 

I didn't watch the Emmy's this year, was Galavant nominated for anything? Comedy, music?  It really should be.

edited February 2016
    Um, wow. That finale. .................... Wow. I was kind of expecting a mess, but I feel like they nailed everything. It might be the most perfect episode(s) since the beginning episode(s). I wrote an email earlier this week complaining to a friend about things, but the finale made it clearer to me. For instance, why the lack of Galavant. This was Richard's season. Maybe that was obvious to you, but I didn't catch on until now, and now I'm not grumpy about him having so many more songs.

I was annoyed about the Enchanted Forest never being mentioned again, and at least it got a nod.

I laughed SO much. Like, all the big jokes landed for me. When Sid repeated Gareth and Galavant said something like, "This is what's amazing right now?" The jokes were so dense.

Oh, and the jester got to sing. I was annoyed that he hadn't, and it didn't seem like he would. And bam, big opening number. The clapping afterwards, hysterical.

So...

I wasn't expecting to say that season 2 is as good as season 1, but I think I'm saying that right now. Season 1 had a rocky ending, and this one had a rocky start.
    edited February 2016
    Overall, pretty fantastic. I kinda was hoping Galavant and Isabella wouldn't get back together so quickly and neatly, or maybe not even at all this season. I mean, I am happy to see them get together, but it was after a whole season of them being apart - I needed a couple episodes of them being back together again before getting hitched...but oh well. 

This has to be the most meta show I've watched since Community. I love it.  Btw, I hope they NEVER show the dragon - it would be a great running joke. 

Hope they get another season, and I want more Sid!

I do want another season... though it's fine if it doesn't happen. Honestly, I'm wondering if someone high up in ABC/Disney likes this show and keeps greenlighting it despite its obvious ratings failures. Surely that has to happen now and then.