The Conjuring 2

Great review guys. Glad I was able to twist your arms into flipping a coin to see this movie instead of Now You See Me 2, which has been getting very poor reviews. So I saved you, your welcome.

One thing. Maurice Grosse is a real person and that is indeed what he looked like.

GredalBee

Comments

• You da real hero, Wookies
  • edited June 2016
    @Dummy OMG I know, rite?!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    No, no, no, his hair in the movies is way worse.  That's an acceptable hair cut, and an awesome, if eccentric mustache.  In the movie he's rocking this fringe of hair along his forehead that's just... why.
  • Yeah, he looks way "Grosser" in the movie.  The top of his head is covered in wispy patches of thinned hair, the sides are longer (think three-stooges-larry-like except up-turned), and, like A.Ron said, he has that fringe along the forehead.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    @DancesWithWookies thank you! I enjoyed this movie so much more then NYSM2. As always this review was great. I was more on Aron's side with how much I enjoyed it. Although the crooked man looked like bad CGI in my opinion. I thought that a great concept and was hoping they'd use him but was disappointed when they did.
    DancesWithWookies
  • @WonderedObject I agree the Crooked Man CGI was not good and I cringed in the theatre when it happened on screen. But other than that it was a great movie.

Conjuring 3 please!

@DancesWithWookies he was a good idea but was poorly executed. Thought they had the budget to make him work but I guess not. Wan is already in talks for the third!
    The studio just announced that a spinoff involving the nun will be made called "The Nun".
    Not excited for this at all. They tried this with Anabelle and that was bad. I'll still watch it but pretty sure it'll just ruin the nun.
    Btw @Jim @A_Ron_Hubbard , Anabelle came out after the Conjuring. It was a cash grab that worked but was a disservice to the fans because it wasn't scary. Remember you wondering about this during the cast.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I did watch Annabelle this weekend. It was ridiculous. Maybe one or two effective jump scares, zero creepiness or dread. Possessed dolls are just kind of dumb.
    WonderedObject
  • I believe the Annabelle movie was done by people who had absolutely nothing to do with the Conjouring Movies. And count me out on the Nun movie. Sigh.
    WonderedObject
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Does anyone know any good podcasts about this particular haunting? It's crazy how much we haven't heard about it in America. About halfway through the movie I was wishing I could watch a documentary about this family. 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @aberry89 Now Playing podcast did an episode this week reviewing the movie. One of the hosts did a bunch of research about the "true" story and shares a lot of it. He also says there is a BBC documentary on Youtube about the case.
  • Is everyone on here an Atheist?

Personally, I have had many paranormal events happen which would convince many of you that strange things are indeed a foot around us. How it works exactly I don't know. So when I watch a movie like this I am definitely viewing it from a different angle than many of you. 

I just don't like to dismiss people's stories out of hand. But that seems to be the case more often than not. 
    Frakkin T
    @DancesWithWookies The question of being an atheist (which I am) is different than the question of believing in ghosts (which I kinda do maybe.) The reason I put quotations around the "true" is because this case and the Warrens in general are pretty well-known to be hoaxes. I've had experiences I can't explain as well, and I think it's arrogant to think that there's nothing in the world that is beyond our current understanding, but the Warrens are bullshit.
    TaraC73
    If you've listened to BaldMove, and I know you have ;) I have EXTREMELY similar views on religion/spirituality  as A.Ron. I grew up religious, no longer affiliated - but I would not call myself a "died in the womb" atheist either. If you are, btw, totally fine. Thumbs up, go for it.

The only thing that makes sense to me, right now at this stage in my life is - I don't have any of the answers. 

In my opinion, demonic possession, is 100% mental illness, or a mental episode.  Never once have I heard a story, and I have heard a couple first hand accounts from my dad, who works in a church, that I couldn't easily make sense of without bringing demons or satan into it. I had heard that before the 1960's/70's there was little talk about exorcism outside of religious circles. Then The Exorcist happened, and it became mainstream and the amount of people saying they were possessed sky rocketed. Out of intrest, I went to Ngram View on google, and looked up the words - "demon, possession"  Check out that spike in the 1930's....I have no clue what happened around that time...

But telling people that are going through something that they are just "imagining" it, is the worst thing you can do. It is real to them, the mind is incredible, powerful machine. And when people see ghosts, in my opinion, it is because of things like sleep paralysis or hallucination. How our brains process information, especially our unconscious brains, is still so much of a mystery. That doesn't make it any less real, painful, scary or horrible to deal with - that emotion is REAL. I don't see the need to attach that to religion or demons however. Honestly I would have an easier time if people told me that ghosts were aliens that communicate with us telepathically, or blips of other dimensions. Our universe is FUCKING big and vast and wholly unexplored by us. I belive in the possibilities of what we don't understand yet WAY more than an Abrahamic religious God and his nemesis Satan.  

Now that you don't feel judged whatsoever ;) ..., what are your experiences???? Seriously, though I am so, so fascinated by this stuff. I may not belive in it fo r religious reasons, but I don't belive there is no reason behind it. 
    GredalBee
    edited June 2016
    Frakkin T said:

@aberry89 Now Playing podcast did an episode this week reviewing the movie. One of the hosts did a bunch of research about the "true" story and shares a lot of it. He also says there is a BBC documentary on Youtube about the case.

Thanks! I will check that out. I probably will skip the doc though, as I know that will scare the fuck out of me. Like Jim, totally don't belive in demonic possession, and it still scares the absolute shit out of me - years of being indoctrinated that demons were legit real. : /  Thank mom. 

• edited June 2016
    @Frakkin T Hey I've had to adjust my worldview to fit these experiences. Its the only thing one can do when confronted with this things. And yeah I am not saying this story or the Warrens are the most believable at all but that's not to say others are not. 

And if your interested. I think this one story is much more compelling. You can actually see and hear some of the paranormal events happening as they occurred. Its a fucking crazy story. Its called the San Pedro Haunting.

@DancesWithWookies oo that looks scary---I'm gonna check it out, thanks!
  • Its all fun and games until a ghost puts bullets on a lit stove lol.

Just rewatched the video I posted. Is pretty insane.
  • edited June 2016
    The back half of that doc felt like unintentional comedy.  I'll shut the camera off while something is banging in the other room for the 20th time.  Keep the goddam camera on! The plasma dripping from the cabinet... fuck that.  Nope.  Burn that house down. 
    DancesWithWookies
  • Jim, you were mentioning in the Conjuring 2 review a movie you couldn't remember the name of in this podcast. The movie you were referring to is called "13 Sins."