"TURN: Washington's Spies" on AMC

TURN is AMC's historical spy drama based on the book Washington's Spies: The Story of America's FIrst Spy Ring by Alexander Rose. To be honest, I lost interest after the first season because the production value wasn't great, the direction and acting was uneven, and they took some liberties with the historical narrative that didn't seem to serve any purpose. But I recently binged the second season on Netflix and they've solved all those problems and more. The guy who played the "fooking legend" on GoT is fucking excellent as a cultured but imperious British officer / amateur astronomer. So is Stephen Root as an 18th century spycraft nerd, JJ Field as his renaissance/lady's man British counterpart John Andre, and whoever plays Captain Simcoe, essentially a bond villain. Easily some of my favorite characters on TV right now.

Anyone else enjoying it? I haven't started season 3 yet, but if it retains the quality of season 2 I think it definitely belongs in any 'best show of the year' discussions.

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited June 2016
    I used to watch but it got a little to harlequin romancey for me at the start of this season so I'm not watching anymore. I might give it a go based on recommendations if it improved when S3 goes to Netflix.
  • Im on S3E3. Friggin loving this show. Rogers is such a great character. He makes me laugh so much. Hard to explain until you watch S3
    Elisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    I got bogged down in season one and stopped. Sounds like it's worthwhile to power through and keep going. I'm totally interested in the time period and premise but something just wasn't hooking me. Perhaps it was a tad slow for something that should be so perilous.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I think a B is fair. Season 2 and 3 are much better than S1. They get a little bit too into the romance side but it's ok.
  • edited August 2016
    Finally got around to finishing season 3. I agree that the romance stuff gets pretty dumb, but at least with the Peggy Shippen affair it ties directly in to real history. The Anna stuff seems pretty fabricated, but when I finally get the time I'm really interested in reading the book to see what parts of the spy ring plot were real.

The historical Simcoe, I'm pretty confident in saying, was definitely nothing like this portrayal. But for whatever reason I really like how outlandishly villainous they made him. If they don't have the money to make a slavishly historical drama like HBO'S John Adams, I guess I'm fine with a bunch of larger than life characters in a historical setting, like Deadwood.

Anyways, I definitely don't think this is the best thing on TV right now, but it has an interesting enough take in historical events with good enough actors that I'm still enjoying it. And until HBO invents a time machine to uncancel Rome or Deadwood, it's the only place I can go for my history fix.
    Elisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.